Progressive Calendar 09.07.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:06:09 -0700 (PDT)

23 Underwood
24 Winship (CounterPunch)
25 Washington (CounterPunch)
26 ed

--1--

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 11:48:04 -0500
From: "Gordon, Cam A." <CamGordon333 [at] msn.com>
Subject: [NFCG] Second Ward September E-newsletter

RNC.  There have been reports of multiple incidents related to the RNC in
which journalists and citizens with cameras have been detained, arrested,
and had their possessions confiscated by law enforcement.  At least three
of these incidents occurred in the week preceding the RNC, and many more
happened during protests in both St. Paul and Minneapolis. I am
disappointed that the Police Policies Resolution passed unanimously by the
Council in July, which contains explicit prohibitions against confiscating
recording devices, seems to have had so little effect in some instances. I
am also very concerned about the 'collateral damage' suffered by
nonviolent protesters and bystanders due to police uses of force.  I have
expressed serious concerns about the preemptive raids of Minneapolis
houses (including one in the Second Ward) and the seizure of an
educational bus (Permibus) the weekend before the convention.  With
Council Member Gary Schiff, I am calling for a public hearing and full
investigation into law enforcement actions both before and during the
convention.  You can read more of my responses to specific incidents at my
blog here: http://secondward.blogspot.com
<http://secondward.blogspot.com/> .
Cam Gordon
Minneapolis City Council Member, Second Ward
673-2202, 296-0579
cam [at] camgordon.org
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/council/ward2/

--2--

free press: media is the issue
September 5, 2008
Free Press Blog Post
Contact: Jen Howard , Free Press, (202) 265-1490, x22 or (703) 517-6273

St. Paul in the Hot Seat over Journalist Arrests

Journalists and St. Paul citizens assembled outside St. Paul City Hall
today to deliver more than 60,000 letters to Mayor Chris Coleman and
prosecuting attorneys demanding that they immediately drop charges against
all journalists arrested this week as they covered the Republican National
Convention.

Watch the press conference: http://qik.com/video/270176

By Friday morning, dozens of journalists, photographers, bloggers and
videomakers had been booked by the Ramsey County Sheriff's office in what
appears to have been an orchestrated round-up of media makers covering
protests during the convention.

"From the pre-convention raids to the ongoing harassment and arrests of
journalists, these have been dark days for press freedom in the United
States," said Nancy Doyle Brown of the Twin Cities Media Alliance, who
delivered the letters on behalf of the nonpartisan media reform group Free
Press.

She was joined by a crowd of local activists and journalists, including
Amy Goodman and Nicole Salazar of Democracy Now!, KFAI-FM radio host Andy
Driscoll and Mike Bucsko, executive director of the Minnesota Newspaper
Guild.

"Tragically, there are stories that the world needed to hear this week
that will never be told," Brown said. "They won't be told because
reporters working on them were sitting in the back of squad cars, were
stripped of their cameras, or were face down on the pavement with their
hands cuffed behind their backs."

On Thursday, the final night of the convention, it appears that
authorities ratcheted up their attacks on both protesters and credentialed
journalists, lobbing tear gas and percussion grenades into crowds and
arresting student journalists, local TV photographers, Associated Press
reporters and two MyFox journalists, among others.

Other independent journalists have also been pepper-sprayed, and reporters
with I-Witness were held at gunpoint during a "pre-emptive" raid aimed at
disrupting protesters last weekend.

Mayor Chris Coleman has refused to reply to Free Press' repeated calls and
e-mails asking for his response to allegations that journalists were
specifically targeted by authorities.

Watch the letter delivery: http://qik.com/video/270383

A crowd of journalists - many of whom were arrested earlier in the week
- entered City Hall and delivered the letters into the hands of St. Paul
Deputy Mayor Ann Mulholland and City Attorney John Choi, who briefly told
them that the legal system will sort out their concerns.

The mayor and public officials "need to do a post-mortem to examine the
circumstances of these arrests," said Bucsko, who represents reporters at
the Star Tribune and the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "I hate to think that
journalists were being targeted," adding that it appeared that "there was
discrimination based upon their jobs."

The signatures were collected in less than 72 hours as people nationwide
expressed their outrage over St. Paul 's attempts to stifle the many
independent journalists documenting events surrounding the tightly
scripted spectacle in the city's Xcel Center .

Groups including the American Civil Liberties Union, the National
Association of Black Journalists, the National Association of Hispanic
Journalists, The Newspaper Guild, the Reporters Committee for Freedom of
the Press, Reporters Without Borders, the Society for Professional
Journalists and the Writers Guild of America, East, have also sounded the
alarm over the unusually harsh treatment by city authorities.

"The city of St. Paul has a black eye right now, and I must say that Paul
Wellstone would be rolling in his grave," said Denis Moynihan of Free
Speech TV, who spoke outside City Hall today. "Mayor Coleman must salvage
the damaged reputation of the state and the city by dropping charges
against all journalists immediately."

Read the Free Press blog
post:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timothy-karr/st-paul-authorities-get-t_b_124293.ht
ml

Free Press is a national, nonpartisan organization working to reform the
media. Through education, organizing and advocacy, we promote diverse and
independent media ownership, strong public media, and universal access to
communications. Learn more at www.freepress.net

--3--