Progressive Calendar 09.05.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 05:59:28 -0700 (PDT)

19 ed  What is truth? (poem)
20 ed  bumpersticker

--1--

From: Paul Read <paulnread [at] mac.com>
To: Diane J. Peterson <birch7 [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Discuss] [M5DGP] My disheartening experience calling my
    elected reps about press intimidation

Dear Diane

Uh, please be a teensy bit more careful when you mention my posts (I
realize you've not actually "quoted" me, so I haven't used that word, but
the difference seems semantic.)  Here's what I wrote "And sadly, I'm
beginning to wonder if it isn't really, after all is said and done, too
late."  Not declarative at all, is it?  Other than referring to what I;m
wondering.

I totally agree with your statements (er, questions) regarding "building a
Party that will 'throw the bums out' and elect people society can rely on
to do their jobs for the benefit of the electorate, . . . for Greens and
other citizens to go to decent elected officials in Minnesota to stand up
to the Federal thugs . . .  not ALL of our elected officials are entirely
useless."  Your most important point is building a political party!

I guess that's one thing I disagree with the anarchists over.  The idea of
no leaders is certainly romantically if not politically appealing but
practically, not to mention socially and historically, it seems
impossible.  So we need to do something.  As I see it, and I'm a huge fan
of the analysis of Naomi Kline among others, we are pretty much living in
a corporatocracy.  No news there to anyone reading this, I'm sure.  Both
major parties, as can be seen by their corporatized four-day long scripted
infomercials, are owned lock, stock, and barrel, (what ever that means,
but I like to say it even though it looks silly in print) by corporate
CEO's, hedge fund managers, and investment bankers we've never heard of
who probably make Rupert Murdock look like George Washington.  Do we need
a new party????  As people thirty and forty years my junior may still be
texting OMG!

But building a party is hard work.  I've long admired the European Greens
and watched their growth with envy.  As I've written to one of the
5thDistGP members, I always wished there had been a Social
Democratic/Green coalition in the US as there was in Scandinavia and the
Continent.  But we have this so-called two party system (which reminds me
of going to the ice-cream freezer at the grocery store and trying to
decide between vanilla and vanilla bean!)  This summer, I made a break
with the DFL in MN after going to my precinct caucus for Edwards and being
a 61B delegate for Nelson-Pallmeyer.  The debacle at the state convention
was the last straw.  I made the determination that hope for change
(Obama's mantra) within the Democratic Party, is illusion, smoke and
mirrors.  THAT'S WHY I'M HERE, DIANE!!!

Yes, let's build a party.  Let's get going.  Why the hell didn't the Green
Party of Minnesota nominate a Senate candidate so GPMN can work toward
major party status again?  We CANNOT be simply a more, liberal,
progressive "alternative" to the DFL.  Somehow, we must be more.  I don't
know what that is.  But what's happened here this week tells me that the
people of Minnesota have been betrayed by their elected leaders . . . not
all, but most.  The reason I wonder if it MAY BE too late is due in part
to the old chestnut about the frog in the pot.  You know . . . If you
throw a frog into a pot of boiling water, it will jump out and not die. If
you put a frog in a pot of water and slowly bring it to a boil, presto,
you have frog soup!  My fear is that while we may look at what is
happening in downtown St.  Paul and "preemptive" raids in our
neighborhoods and say "OUCH"  boiling water! glad I jumped out in time!"
The reality may well be that we've be cooked all along.  Is it too late?
No, I really don't think it is.  But I do think it's later than we know!

Paul

--2--