Progressive Calendar 09.02.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 23:11:49 -0700 (PDT)

30 Underwood
31 Trnka/Democracy Now
32 Goldstein

33 ed  Higher goons (haiku)

--1--

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:09:50 -0500
From: Bruce Nestor <nestor [at] denestlaw.com>  [NLG]
Subject: RNC Detainees to Remain in Jail

Six activists seized in early morning house raids and street snatchings on
Saturday, August 30, 2008, will remain detained. Ramsey County Judge
Joanne Smith this afternoon found probable cause to continue the
detentions after the Ramsey County Attorney also recommended the
detentions continue. The cases will not be reviewed for formal charging by
the Ramsey County Attorney until Tuesday morning at the earliest. If
formally charged, the activists will be entitled to a court appearance and
may argue for bail or release. Otherwise, they will remain detained until
Wednesday at noon and be released if formal charges are not filed. Judge
Smith did not consider whether the detainees should be released, as no
bail study had been performed, and only made a probable cause
determination based solely upon information submitted by the Ramsey County
Sheriff. Defense counsel has still not seen any of the evidence claimed to
exist by Sheriff Fletcher, has not been able to review the affidavits
submitted in support of the search warrant applications, and was not able
to contest or argue the evidence presented to Judge Smith.

"It is very difficult for a judge to decide no probable cause exists when
defense counsel has no opportunity to review and challenge the allegations
submitted by the police," said Bruce Nestor of the Minnesota Chapter of
the National Lawyers Guild. "It is disappointing that the Ramsey County
Attorney has acquiesced in Sheriff Fletcher's preventative detention
strategy and will not make a prompt review and charging decision. If the
evidence exists to support these charges, a formal charge should be filed
so the detainees can appear in court and ask to be released. The Ramsey
County Attorney's failure to act means that these citizens will remain in
jail for an extended period without any opportunity to challenge the
allegations made against them," he said.

Bruce D. Nestor 3547 Cedar Avenue South Minneapolis, MN 55407 612-659-9019
- Phone 612-436-3664 - Fax

--2--