Progressive Calendar 08.24.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 06:20:30 -0700 (PDT)

1. Atheists/950AM     8.24 9am
2. Stillwater vigil   8.24 1pm
3. RNC/rights         8.24 1pm
4. YAWR/strike        8.24 1pm
5. YAWR/puppets       8.24 2pm
6. KFAI/Indian        8.24 7pm
7. Fr Smith/MidEast   8.24 7pm Northfield MN
8. Trumbo/film        8.24 7pm

9. RNC/speech/court   8.25 9am
10. Peace walk        8.25 6pm RiverFalls WI
11. Art/politics/KFAI 8.25 6pm
12. 11th hour/eco f   8.25 7pm
13. Witness v the war 8.25 7pm Red Wing MN
14. RNC/NLG/video     8.25 7pm
15. RNC infoline      8.25 7pm
16. EXCO deadline     8.25

17. Joshua Frank - Cindy Sheehan: targeting Pelosi (& the war machine)
18. Paul Street  - Totalitarianism: it can happen here
19. ed           - Day in the sun  (poem)

--------1 of 19--------

From: August Berkshire <augustberkshire [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Atheists/950AM 8.24 9am

Minnesota Atheists' "Atheists Talk" radio show. Broadcast live from the
Minnesota State Fair.

Sunday, August 24, 2008, 9-10 a.m. Central Time A discussion about
atheism.

Sunday, August 31, 2008, 9-10 a.m. Central Time A discussion about
humanism.

We welcome questions during the program at (952) 946-6205 or
radio [at] MinnesotaAtheists.org.

"Atheists Talk" airs live on AM 950 KTNF in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
To stream live, go to http://www.am950ktnf.com/listen. Podcasts of past
shows are available at http://MinnesotaAtheists.org or through iTunes.
Program Notes are available at http://MinnesotaAtheists.org.

--------2 of 19-------

From: scot b <earthmannow [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Stillwater vigil 8.24 1pm

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: RNC/rights 8.24 1pm

Sunday, 8/24, 1 to 4:45 pm, Coldsnap Legal Collective sponsors free Know
Your Rights and volunteer training for the RNC and aftermath, Merriam Park
Library meeting room, 1831 Marshall Ave, St Paul.  coldsnap [at] riseup.net

--------4 of 19--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: YAWR/strike 8.24 1pm

Sunday, 8/24, 1 to 2:30, meeting of Youth Against War and Racism to plan
the student strike on September 4, YAWR office, 3024 Chicago Ave S, Mpls.
http://yawr.org/strike (Note: meeting may have changed to Bedlam Theater,
due to puppet making.)

--------5 of 19--------
From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: YAWR/puppets 8.24 2pm

Sunday, 8/24, 2 to 5 pm, Youth Against War and Racism makes puppets for
the protests against the RNC, Bedlam Theater, 1501 S 6th St, West Bank,
Mpls.  http://www.yawr.org Puppet workshops are led by Chris Lutter of
Puppet Farm Arts, http://puppetfarm.org/lutter.html Please RSVP
tytymo [at] gmail so they know how many folks to plan for.

--------6 of 19--------

From: Chris Spotted Eagle <chris [at] spottedeagle.org>
Subject: KFAI/Indian 8.24 7pm

KFAI's Indian Uprising, August 24, 2008 from 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. CDT #279

Daryl Sager (Turtle Mountain Ojibwe), Energy Justice Program Associate,
Fresh Energy, Inc.

Fresh Energy of St. Paul, Minnesota is an organization leading the
transition to a clean, efficient and fair energy system.  Its goals are:
Healthy Economies, Healthy People, Healthy Environment and Energy
Independence.  Fresh Energy focus areas are: Clean Electricity, Energy
Efficiency, Transportation Policy, Global Warming Solutions and Energy
Justice. www.fresh-energy.org

"Fresh Energy is the only nonprofit in Minnesota whose sole focus is a
clean, just energy future for the Upper Midwest. Often, the economically
disadvantaged are the most adversely affected by energy decisions. The
Energy Justice program at Fresh Energy works to pass policies that help
build the capacity of low-income individuals to have a strong voice in
those decisions."

Tom Goldtooth (Dine¹/Dakota), Director, Indigenous Environmental Network,
Bemidji, Minnesota

IEN (nonprofit) is a network of grass-roots Indigenous Peoples empowering
Indigenous Nations and communities towards sustainable livelihoods,
demanding environmental justice and maintaining the Sacred Fire of
cultural traditions. IEN is dependent on private foundations and
individual donations but does not solicit for federal grants.
www.ienearth.org

One immediate concern, says Goldtooth, is the proposed 36-inch diameter
tar sand oil pipeline cutting through northern Minnesota running almost
1,000 miles, from Alberta, Canada, to Superior, Wisconsin, dubbed the
Alberta Clipper.

"The Real Price of Tar Sands Oil - Enbridge, a Canadian company, seeks to
build a pipeline to carry synthetic crude oil from Alberta, Canada, into
southern Illinois. Of the many problems with this project, the greatest
one stems from the energy approach driving its construction: bitumen
extraction from Alberta's tar sands.

Tar sands oil is produced through a destructive process that has
deplorable consequences. Extraction and processing of just one barrel of
synthetic crude oil from bitumen requires up to five barrels of fresh
water and 1,000 cubic feet of natural gas. The gasoline yield from that
single barrel is only enough to fill a Chevrolet Avalanche's tank
three-quarters full.

The environmental impact is severe. In 2007, greenhouse gas emissions from
tar sands plants were roughly equivalent to the annual emissions of 27
million American passenger vehicles. High levels of carcinogens in fish,
water and sediment have been found downstream from tar sands areas.

Meanwhile, annual production of tar sands oil from Alberta is expected to
at least triple by 2015, fueled principally by U.S. demand. While no one
enjoys reliance on OPEC oil, the alternative of a pending environmental
catastrophe is intolerable." ­ Brian P. Granahan, Staff Attorney,
Environment Illinois Research and Education Center (washingtonpost.com,
Jan. 2008).

Indian Uprising is a KFAI Public & Cultural Affairs program relevant to
Native Indigenous people, broadcast each Sunday on 90.3 FM Minneapolis and
106.7 FM St. Paul. Volunteer producer & host is Chris Spotted Eagle.
Note: Chris is taking a leave of absence for five months, starting
September 1st.

--------7 of 19--------

From: "wamm [at] mtn.org" <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Fr Smith/MidEast 8.24 7pm Northfield MN

Father David Smith on the Middle East

Sunday, August 24, 7:00 p.m. St. Dominic's Catholic Church, 104 Linden
Street, Northfield. Professor Smith teaches at the University of St.
Thomas and is known for his presentations describing his extended living
and traveling experiences in the West Bank of Israel. Free and open to the
public. Olive oil from Bethlehem will be available for sale. Sponsored by:
Northfielders for Justice for Palestine/Israel.

--------8 of 19--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Trumbo/film 8.24 7pm

Friday, AUG. 22 thru Thu, Aug 28: (2:20 BARGAIN MATINEE)7:00 LAGOON
THEATRE on Lagoon 1 block from Hennepin Ave. in uptown MINNEAPOLIS

TRUMBO is a documentary of the great screenwriter and McCarthyism, the
1950s Cold War anti-communist "Red Scare", blacklist victim Dalton Trumbo
in TRUMBO. The writer is best known for his anti-war novel JOHNNY GOT HIS
GUN - a searing portrait of a wounded vet who can not see, hear or move -
but, is locked in with his thoughts and emotions about what war does to
human beings.

Steven Holden of The New York Times says: "Today few would dispute
Trumbo's assessment of that very dark period McCarthyism): 'The blacklist
was a time of evil, and no one who survived it on either side came through
untouched by evil'.