Progressive Calendar 07.05.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 00:54:46 -0700 (PDT)

1. Peace walk      7.05 9am Cambridge MN
2. Homeless vets   7.05 10am
3. NWN4P Mtka      7.05 11am
4. RNC/cops/rights 7.05 12noon
5. Northtown vigil 7.05 2pm
6. Music 4 peace   7.05 7:30pm
7. Poor march/CTV  7.05 9pm

8. Atheists/950AM  7.06 9am
9. Iraq/response   7.06 10am
10. Stwater vigil  7.06 1pm
11. Harry Boyte    7.06 3pm
12. RNC/hi/KFAI    7.06 6pm
13. Peace camp     7.06-7.14 Luck WI

14. ed        - Take Action / Health bills
15. Laura Flanders - Celebration in Colombia? Not so Fast.
16. Glen Ford - Cynthia McKinney deserves your support, Obama does not
17. ed        - Bush's mouth  (poem)

--------1 of 17--------

From: Ken Reine <reine008 [at] umn.edu>
Subject: Peace walk 7.05 9am Cambridge MN

every Saturday 9AM to 9:35AM
Peace walk in Cambridge - start at Hwy 95 and Fern Street

--------2 of 17--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Homeless vets 7.05 10am

Saturday, 7/5, 10 to 11:30 am, Homeless Vets for Peace meet at Peacehouse,
510 E Franklin, Mpls. Bob Heberle 612-789-9020.

--------3 of 17--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: NWN4P Mtka 7.05 11am

NWN4P-Minnetonka demonstration- Every Saturday, 11 AM to noon, at Hwy. 7
and 101.  Park in the Target Greatland lot; meet near the
fountain. We will walk along the public sidewalk. Signs available.

--------4 of 17--------

From: Michelle Gross <mgresist [at] visi.com>
Subject: RNC/cops/rights 7.05 12noon

Communities United Against Police Brutality
URGENT ACTION ALERT
MINNEAPOLIS CITY COUNCIL ENDORSES RUBBER BULLETS FOR PROTESTERS
Fight Back NOW While You Still Can!

Organizing Meeting
Saturday, July 5th
12:00 Noon
Walker Church, 3100 16th Ave S. Minneapolis

In 2000, after a number of excessive force incidents by Minneapolis police
against protesters, the community successfully pushed for a resolution
that bans police from using rubber bullets, prevents cops from concealing
their identities, blocks police from infiltrating groups and building
dossiers on activists, and provides other important protections.

Over the last month, however, the Minneapolis City Council has been
working on new resolutions.  They claim they want to make it easier to
exercise free speech but, in reality, they passed one resolution requiring
us to get permits to demonstrate­something we've never had to do before.
Then they passed another resolution that has some loosely-worded
protections for activists but that throws out the 2000 resolution and all
of its truly important protections.

There is a proposal on the table by councilmember Cam Gordon that would
bring many of the important protections from the 2000 resolution into the
new resolution.  This proposal was shunted off to a council committee
which was supposed to hear it on June 25th but they postponed it to their
July 16th meeting at request of the police department.

If you want to be safe when protesting the RNC, members of this committee,
the rest of the city council and the mayor need to hear from us NOW! They
need to know we are not going to let them take away the hard-won
protections of the 2000 resolution and we are not going to sit idly by
while they empower cops to use rubber bullets on protesters.  We need to
demand they pass Cam Gordon's proposed changes to Resolution 2008R-248:
Resolution Adopting Police Policies Regarding Public Assemblies.

What can you do?
1) Come to the organizing meeting listed above
2) Contact city council members and mayor
3) Mark your calendar and attend the July 16th
city council's PS&RS committee meeting at 1:00 p.m. at City Hall, room 317

City Council Members:
Paul Ostrow  612-673-2201  paul.ostrow [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Cam Gordon  612-673-2202  cam.gordon [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Diane Hofstede  612-673-2203  diane.hofstede [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Barb Johnson  612-673-2204  barbara.johnson [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Don Samuels  612-673-2205  don.samuels [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Robert Lilligren  612-673-2206  robert.lilligren [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Lisa Goodman  612-673-2207  lisa.goodman [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Elizabeth Glidden  612-673-2208  elizabeth.glidden [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Gary Schiff  612-673-2209  gary.schiff [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Ralph Remington  612-673-2210  ralph.remington [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Scott Benson  612-673-2211  scott.benson [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Sandra Colvin Roy  612-673-2212  sandra.colvin.roy [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Betsy Hodges  612-673-2213  betsy.hodges [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us

Mayor:
R.T Rybak  612-673-2100  rt [at] minneapolis.org

--------5 of 17--------

From: Vanka485 [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 7.05 2pm

Peace vigil at Northtown (Old Hwy 10 & University Av), every Saturday

From: "wamm [at] mtn.org" <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Music 4 peace 7.05 7:30pm

WAMM Weekend of Music for Peace: July5 & 6

Tom Neilson (the Bard Insurgent) "Celebrating the Struggle for Justice &
Peace" Saturday, July 5, 7:30 p.m. St. Joan of Arc Church, 4537 Third
Avenue South, Minneapolis.

A classical vocal soloist since childhood, Tom now has ten folk
recordings. He has opened for Dennis Kucinich, Amy Goodman, Ralph Nader,
Cesar Chavez, and played at the Martin Luther King Center in Havana, Cuba.
He has also played at New York City's Town Hall, Washington National
Cathedral, Boston's Symphony Hall and the New England Conservatory of
Music with tenor solos on two classical albums. Folksinger, songwriter,
activist, historian, and educator, Tom provides a voice for all who
believe in the power of music to affect change. His award-winning songs of
humor, compassion and political affairs have been performed in 19
countries on 5 continents. His lyrics are celebrated for their
sophistication, political astuteness, and wit. At the Kerrville Folk
Festival, he was referred to as the "Jon Stewart of folk music." With long
standing involvements with groups working for peace and justice, you will
hear his music at the gates of military bases, nuclear plants, on union
lines, and to free political prisoners such as Leonard Peltier and Mumia
Abu-Jamal. Suggested Donation: $12.00 (contact the WAMM office at
612-827-5364 for $10.00 tickets in advance). FFI: Visit
<www.tomneilsonmusic.com>. . Susan Cowsill, Singer/Songwriter (with
special appearances by Rick Robot of Tuesdays Robot and the hot, new local
group Gospel Gossip): "Just Believe It"

Sunday, July 6, 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. Minnesota Music Café, 499 Payne Avenue,
St. Paul. The Susan Cowsill Band is fresh off great reviews from the main
Acura Stage at The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Cowsill will
make a special appearance in St. Paul, on July 6 in support of a Women
Against Military Madness (WAMM) fundraiser. Veteran rock critic John
Swenson had this to say about Susan Cowsill's performance at Jazz
Fest--"Though she's a veteran of the New Orleans music scene at this point
Cowsill still exudes the little girl charm that dates back to the days
when she was the little sister in her family band, the hit-making '60s pop
group the Cowsills. But Cowsill's voice is now a fully mature instrument.
She delivers the knowing sorrow of heartbreak ballads like 'The Rain Song'
with the same skill as the angry payback she dishes on 'Talkin' and the
whimsical joy she brings to her old family's hit 'The Rain, the Park and
Other Things.' But on this opening day of Jazzfest Cowsill's most powerful
moment came with her dramatic reading of 'Crescent City Snow,' her
post-Katrina composition that is fast becoming an anthem for returning New
Orleanians." Food and drinks will be available for purchase. Suggested
Donation: $20.00. FFI: Visit <www.susancowsill.com>.

--
Larry Olds writes:

I am writing to urge you to join us at this Concert Celebrating the
Struggle for Justice and Peace.  The money from all donations will go to
WAMM as part of the WAMM Weekend of Music for Peace.

I met Tom four years ago in Boston, since have been enjoying his CDs, and
finally am able to help bring him to the Twin Cities for a concert.  His
music is of my favorite genre: folk music from the struggles for justice
and peace with many songs that reflect his commitments against war and
injustices and for environmental justice and a better world.  His songs
can educate and inspire with his progressive political satire, songs of
nonviolence, liberation and human rights.

Tom is in the Midwest to attend and perform at the National Green
Convention in Chicago.  You can see him perform his song, "All Because I
Voted For Ralph Nader" at the 2007 Green Convention at
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WO8BE7dON4.  He is also doing concerts in Luck
and Viroqua Wisconsin on days around the 4th of July weekend. (See
www.tomneilsonmusic.com for details and info on his CDs)

---------7 of 17--------

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: Poor march/CTV  7.05 9pm

Minneapolis Television Network (MTN 17) viewers:

"Our World In Depth" cablecasts on MTN Channel 17 on Saturdays at 9pm and
Tuesdays at 8am, after DemocracyNow!.  Households with basic cable may
watch.

Sat, 7/5, 9pm and Tues, 7/8, 8am "March for Our Lives" On Sept 2nd in
downtown St. Paul, the Poor People's Economic Human Rights Campaign will
"March For Our Lives".  Cheri Honkala, the campaign's national
coordinator, is interviewed by Karen Redleaf.  (a repeat)

--------8 of 17--------

From: August Berkshire <augustberkshire [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Atheists/950AM 7.06 9am

Minnesota Atheists' "Atheists Talk" radio show
Sunday, July 6, 2008, 9-10 a.m. Central Time

In honor of Independence Day, Edward Tabash will discuss "The Founding
Fathers' Views and Supreme Court Decisions Regarding Separation of State
and Church."

Edward Tabash is Chair of the National Legal Committee of Americans United
for Separation of Church and State, and Chair of the First Amendment Task
Force for the Council for Secular Humanism.

"Atheists Talk" airs live on AM 950 KTNF in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
To stream live, go to http://www.am950ktnf.com/listen. Podcasts of past
shows are available at http://MinnesotaAtheists.org or through iTunes.
Program Notes are available at http://MinnesotaAtheists.org.

--------9 of 17--------

From: jojane [at] juno.com
Subject: Iraq/response 7.06 10am

Charlie Clements Minnesota Visit
July 6, 10:00-11:00AM
Sermon for Sunday service at First Universalist Church in Minneapolis.
He will be speaking about the Iraq war and the UUSC's response.  In the
Sanctuary, 3400 Dupont Ave S, Minneapolis.

July 6, 11:00AM
Open feedback session with Charlie, after the service.  Cummins Room,
First Universalist.

About the UUSC and CEO & President Charlie Clements

Mission Statement
UUSC advances human rights and social justice around the world,
partnering with those who confront unjust power structures and mobilizing
to challenge oppressive policies.
Vision Statement
UUSC envisions a world free from oppression and injustice, where all can
realize their full human rights.

Charlie Clements
Charlie Clements is a well-known human rights activist and public health
physician. Throughout the years, Clements has faced several moral dilemmas
that have shaped his life. A graduate of the Air Force Academy, he flew
more than 50 missions in the Vietnam War before decidind the war was
immoral and refused to fly missions in support of the invasion of
Cambodia.

Later, as a newly trained physician, he chose to work in the midst of El
Salvador's civil war, where the villages he served were bombed, rocketed,
or strafed by some of the same aircraft in which he had previously
trained.

For two years in the late 1980s, Clements served as director of human
rights education at UUSC, leading a number of congressional fact-finding
delegations to Central America. In 1997, as president of Physicians for
Human Rights, he participated both in the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony and
the treaty signing for the International Campaign to Ban Landmines.

Clements is author of Witness to War (Bantam) and subject of an Academy
Award-winning documentary of the same title.

From: scot b <earthmannow [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Stillwater vigil 7.06 1pm