Progressive Calendar 05.21.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 00:43:33 -0700 (PDT)

1. Judges/KFAI       5.21 11am
2. Mpls free speech  5.21 1pm
3. End anti-lurk law 5.21 1pm
4. RNC march/StP     5.21 3:30pm
5. 3CD Greens/CTV    5.21 4pm
6. Planned pthood    5.21 6pm
7. Green design conf 5.21-22

8. New Hope demo     5.22 4:30pm
9. Eagan peace vigil 5.22 4:30pm
10. Northtown vigil  5.22 5pm
11. Urban garden     5.22 6pm
12. Hwy 55/film      5.22 7pm
13. Lebanon          5.22 7pm
14. Congo            5.22 7:30pm
15. Palestine        5.22 7:30pm
16. French hip hop   5.22 8pm

17. Somalia/health   5.23 3:30pm
18. Palestine        5.23 4:15pm
19. Abu Ghraib/film  5.23
20. Plays/films      5.23-6.01

21. Erik Hare        - A review of "Tragedy in South Lebanon"
22. Ralph Nader      - A trip inside Google
23. Chalmers Johnson - Our "managed democracy"
24. ed               - bumpersticker

--------1 of 24--------

From: Andy Driscoll <andy [at] driscollgroup.com>
Subject: Judges/KFAI 5.21 11am

TRUTH TO TELL ­ WEDNESDAY, May 21, 11:00AM:
POLITICS AND THE JUDICIARY: How Should We Pick Our Judges?

A recent Supreme Court ruling opened the door to a practice previously
prohibited by Minnesotašs Canon of Judicial Ethics. Judicial candidates
may no longer be prevented from expressing opinions on issues that may
come before the bench, perhaps in the process revealing a bias in favor of
one side or another well before the facts are in and a ruling issued. Many
legal types see this as turning the entire judicial branch of government
into an expensive, nasty politically driven court system. Others insist
that traditional elections open debate to reveal bias and make the
judiciary more accountable.

Former GOVERNOR AL QUIE is spearheading a drive to create a state
Constitutional amendment advocates believe addresses both impartiality and
electoral accountability ­ retention elections.

TTTšs Andy Driscoll and Lynnell Mickelsen talk with Governor Quie and
others about the pluses and minuses of a system that would place only
previously incumbent judges before voters, but not directly elect
newcomers.

GUESTS:
 GOVERNOR AL QUIE
 MARK CHRONISTER, President, Minnesotans for Impartial Courts
 OTHERS
KFAI Radio, 90.3 Minneapolis /106.7 St. Paul / Streamed [at] KFAI.org

--------2 of 24--------

From: Michelle Gross <mgresist [at] visi.com>
Subject: Mpls free speech 5.21 1pm

STAND UP FOR THE RIGHT TO PROTEST (WHILE YOU STILL CAN!)
Minneapolis City Council's
PS&RS Committee Meeting
Wednesday, May 21
1:00 p.m.
Minneapolis City Hall
350 S 5th Street, Rm 317

We need your help to prevent an unreasonable new ordinance that restricts
free speech from being passed by the City of Minneapolis. This Wednesday,
May 21, a subcommittee of the Minneapolis City Council will meet to vote
on a proposed ordinance that would require groups of 50 or more to apply
for a permit to demonstrate, even if they are planning to gather on the
sidewalk and do not intend to block the sidewalk. Groups can apply for a
permit up to 60 days before the date of their protest, but must apply
within 15 days of that date. This requirement denies people the right to
organize protests quickly in direct response to an immediate event, and
prevents people from gathering spontaneously.

There is no appeal process if a permit is denied. The proposed ordinance
also gives police the right to change the terms of a permit that has been
granted during the protest itself, and to disband the group at their
discretion.

There is currently no Minneapolis city ordinance requiring groups who
gather on the sidewalk to get a permit. This ordinance was written with
the RNC in mind but its author, Paul Ostrow, said at the last PS&RS
meeting that he intends for this law to become permanent.  At that
meeting, a quartet of mouthpieces for the local business community got up
one after the other and expressed their support for Ostrow's measure,
stating that it will allow them to maintain a neat and orderly business
climate (unmolested by a little thing known as the First Amendment).  One
guy went so far as to demand "business as usual."  Well, we're in the
middle of a war predicated on lies under an administration that uses
torture in violation of international human rights standards.  The
murderous cops who killed Sean Bell in NYC were let off scot free while
MPD and St. Paul cops who thug on people continue to get a free pass.
This AIN'T the time for business as usual!

Cam Gordon has said he will introduce a counterproposal that eliminates
many of the issues with this ordinance and he also plans to introduce a
separate proposal that will control police behavior.  The fireworks from
that will definitely be worth watching!

Take action NOW to oppose this ordinance before the it gets out of this
committee and makes it to the full City Council can vote on it. The Public
Safety and Regulatory Services subcommittee meets this Wednesday, May 21
at 1 pm in room 317 at Minneapolis City Hall (350 S 5th St) to consider
the ordinance. THIS WILL BE A PUBLIC HEARING AND WE NEED YOU TO SPEAK OUT!
Please attend this meeting or contact the Minneapolis City Council to
express your concerns. The following council members are part of the PSRS
subcommittee:

Don Samuels don.samuels [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us (612) 673-2205
Paul Ostrow
<mailto:paul.ostrow%40ci.minneapolis.mn.us>paul.ostrow [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
(612) 673-2201
Diane Hofstede
<mailto:diane.hofstede%40ci.minneapolis.mn.us>diane.hofstede [at]
ci.minneapolis.mn.us
(612) 673-2203
Barbara Johnson
<mailto:barbara.johnson%40ci.minneapolis.mn.us>barbara.johnson [at]
ci.minneapolis.mn.us
(612) 673-2204
Cam Gordon
<mailto:cam.gordon%40ci.minneapolis.mn.us>cam.gordon [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
(612) 673-2202
Gary Schiff
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/contact/email-form-schiff.asp (612) 673-2209

--------3 of 24--------

From: Michelle Gross <mgresist [at] visi.com>
Subject: End anti-lurk law 5.21 1pm

STAMP OUT THE LURKING ORDINANCE
Public Hearing
Minneapolis City Council's
PS&RS Committee Meeting
Wednesday, May 21
1:00 p.m.
Minneapolis City Hall
350 S 5th Street, Rm 317

While you're down at city hall standing up for free speech you can make it
a 2 for 1 by sticking around for the public hearing on overturning the
Minneapolis lurking ordinance.  This terrible ordinance makes it a crime
to "lurk with intent" - meaning the cops get to pretend they can read your
mind.  The ordinance is so vague that it would be impossible to know what
not to do to avoid being arrested under it.  The vast majority of people
arrested under this ordinance are homeless Blacks.  As a result, a
homeless person is arrested every 2.1 hours in Minneapolis with most
charges being lurking, loitering or public urination.  Roughtly 80-90% of
lurking charges are thrown out once they reach court.

Speak out against this truly terrible ordinance, which exists only to
give cops and excuse to arrest poor people.  Council member Cam
Gordon plans to introduce measures to strengthen the loitering
ordinance as an inducement to the other council members to support
overturning the lurking ordinance.  We wish to make it clear that
CUAPB absolutely does not support this strategy or any further
strengthening of the already vague and overused ordinance.  We want
nothing less than an outright repeal of the lurking ordinance.

--------4 of 24--------

From: Michelle Gross <mgresist [at] visi.com>
Subject: RNC march/StP 5.21 3:30pm

PROTEST RNC MARCH PERMIT APPEAL
Wednesday, May 21
3:30 p.m., public hearing at 5:30 p.m.
St. Paul City Hall
15 W Kellogg Blvd, 3rd Floor
St. Paul

Call on St. Paul Mayor & City Council to Support Permit Appeal by the
Coalition to March on the RNC and Stop the War

On Wednesday, May 14, the Coalition to March on the RNC and Stop the War
received an alternate permit for our demonstration on September 1, 2008.
This alternate permit was provided because both the route and the time in
our permit application were rejected by St. Paul Police.

Thanks to public pressure from you, and pending legal action in federal
court, we now have a permit that will take our march up to the Xcel
Center.

However, the terms of the alternate permit will not accommodate the large,
national demonstration we are planning. The space and time limitations are
unworkable, and are designed to limit the impact we can have on the RNC
and its media coverage.

Every street around the Xcel Center will be closed, to provide security to
the politicians who will meet inside to congratulate themselves on 5 years
of a brutal war on Iraq. Two parking lots adjacent to the Xcel are
reserved for media trucks, which the RNC will rely on to broadcast their
message of war, trying to convince the people of this country to cast
their votes for more years of war and human suffering in Iraq, and more
years of ignoring human needs here at home.

The alternate permit grants our Coalition the small space that remains: A
2000 square foot triangle, across the street from the Xcel Center.  Our
permit allows the use of that space for less than 2 hours, and requires
that the march proceed along a 1000-foot long turn about, then turn back
on itself, and return to the State Capitol Building on the same road we
marched in on.  This limited time and space cannot accommodate 50,000
protesters.

The alternative permit effectively protects the Republicans and their
message of war, while restricting the rights of common people to demand
peace, justice and equality. Limiting both time and space for the march -
ensures that only some protesters will have a chance to raise their voice
at the site of the Convention, while thousands may never even see the
building. This is a plan we cannot accept.

According to the City ordinance, permit decisions can be appealed to City
Council. This week, we will ask St. Paul City Council members to overturn
the police department's decision, and grant our original permit request
for September 1, 2008. We will also raise our objections to the alternate
permit that was granted.

Moreover, the St. Paul Police Department is required to demonstrate a
substantial public safety interest that necessitates rejecting the
original request. We have received no explanation of how the alternate
route satisfies any concerns raised by our original route. City Council
members can get real answers.

We ask you to call on the St. Paul City Council to stand on the side of
peace and justice, to issue the permit we applied for, to ensure a
successful March on the RNC to stop the war on Iraq.

We expect our appeal to be heard at the City Council meeting on Wednesday,
May 21, 2008, on the 3rd floor of City Hall at 15 W. Kellogg Blvd, St.
Paul. The meeting begins at 3:30pm, and public hearings are scheduled for
5:30pm - it is not clear when the Permit appeal will be scheduled on the
agenda. Please attend the meeting if you can, and contact St. Paul City
officials beforehand.

Ask them to approve the original permit application, including a later and
longer time, and a route that physically accommodates more protesters and
provides more space at the Xcel Center. They can also help by getting the
police to answer some of these questions:

1.  Why was the original permit denied? What specifically about the route
and time would create the traffic and safety issues stated as the basis
for denial? How does the alternate permit avoid these issues?

2.  Why does the March have to clear the Xcel by 2:00 p.m.? Will all
demonstrators be banned from the "soft security zone" after 2:00 p.m.? If
not, why can't the March go later in the afternoon?  Can the March
starting time be moved back to accommodate people from out of town who
will be arriving? If not, why not?

3. Why do the free speech rights of the corporate media take precedence
over the rights of the people? Two parking lots adjacent to X-Cel are both
being given to the media, can't one of them be given to the people? Either
parking lot would not be any closer to X-Cel than the demonstration zone,
but would greatly expand the ability of people to reach the Xcel and turn
around without problems.

4. When will the delegates arrive on 9/1/08? Is the plan to make the March
pass by X-Cel center by 2:00 p.m. just so that it will be gone by the time
the delegates start arriving?

<mailto:ward1 [at] ci.stpaul.mn.us>Debbie Montgomery (Ward 1) * 651-266-8610
<mailto:ward2 [at] ci.stpaul.mn.us>Dave Thune (Ward 2) * 651-266-8620
<mailto:ward3 [at] ci.stpaul.mn.us>Pat Harris (Ward 3) * 651-266-8630
<mailto:ward4 [at] ci.stpaul.mn.us>Russ Stark(Ward 4) * (651) 266-8640
<mailto:ward5 [at] ci.stpaul.mn.us>Lee Helgen (Ward 5) * 651-266-8650
<mailto:ward6 [at] ci.stpaul.mn.us>Dan Bostrom (Ward 6) * 651-266-8660
<mailto:ward7 [at] ci.stpaul.mn.us>Kathy Lantry, President (Ward 7) *
651-266-8670

Also, please contact
<mailto:mayor [at] ci.stpaul.mn.us>Chris Coleman, Mayor * 651-266-8510

Background:
See a map of the City's proposal on-line here -
<http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_9262346>http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_9262346

See the Coalition's proposed route on-line here -
<http://www.protestrnc2008.org/node/39>http://www.protestrnc2008.org/node/39

--------5 of 24--------

From: Alan Hancock
Subject: 3CD Greens/CTV 5.21 4pm

3rd Congressional District Green Party Show.

Wednesday May 21 at 4 PM
Thursday May 22 at 12 AM and 8 AM

This show features Ken Pentel Green Party Candidate for Governor 2006 as
keynote speaker at the Earth Day event in Fergus Falls, MN on April 22.

--------6 of 24--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: Planned parent 5.21 6pm

May 21: Planned Parenthood MN/ND/SD. Please join Friends for Planned
Parenthood for a reading, remarks, and book signing by renowned author Dr.
Kenneth Edelin, whose recent book, Broken Justice, tells the story of his
trial, conviction, and ultimate exoneration of manslaughter charges for
performing a safe, legal abortion after the Roe v. Wade decision. Ticket
price $25. 6-7:30 PM. Open Book/The Loft Literary Center, Minneapolis.

--------7 of 24--------

From: Minnesota Housing Partnership [mailto:bjacobs [at] mhponline.org]
Subject: Green design conf 5.21-22

Minnesota Housing Partnership is a proud sponsor of the
3rd Annual Green by Design conference
How to plan and build healthy, sustainable affordable housing and
communities in Minnesota

Wednesday, May 21 and Thursday, May 22 * The Depot * Minneapolis
This conference will be held May 21st and 22nd, 2008 at The Depot in
Minneapolis, and will welcome Mark Fenton (Host of PBS's America's
Walking), and Van Jones (Green for All) as keynote speakers during the
conference.

The Green by Design conference and training aims to provide housing
developers, builders, contractors, architects, city planners,
environmentalists, funders, and other professionals the tools needed to
build energy efficient, healthy, and sustainable housing. Multiple tracks
will be offered, including sessions by local and national experts that
focus on various elements of the Green Communities Criteria and other
related topics. Examples of successful green building projects, including
both multifamily and single-family developments, will be highlighted
throughout the conference.

Topics of interest include: Residential Green Building * Minnesota Housing
Funding Requirements * Energy Conservation and Climate Protection
Strategies * Green Rehabilitation * Equitable Green Economic Development *
Ensuring Healthy Homes and Communities * Rural and Urban Greening
Strategies * Sustainable Land Use Planning * Green Building Materials *
and other great topics on green building, design, and public policy.

The Minnesota Housing Partnership is a statewide nonprofit organization
that advances the preservation and creation of housing affordable to low-
and moderate-income people as a means of strengthening communities and
families. MHP provides local governments and nonprofit housing
organizations access to loans, grants, and technical expertise to plan and
construct housing, in addition to advocating and educating people on sound
housing policies.

--------8 of 24--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: New Hope demo 5.22 4:30pm

NWN4P-New Hope demonstration every Thursday 4:30 to 6 PM at the corner
of Winnetka and 42nd.  You may park near Walgreens or in the larger lot
near McDonalds; we will be on all four corners.  Bring your own or use
our signs.

--------9 of 24--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <family4peace [at] msn.com>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 5.22 4:30pm

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 5.22 5pm

From: Do It Green! Minnesota <Do_It_Green_Minnesota [at] mail.vresp.com>
Subject: Urban garden 5.22 6pm

Community & Urban Gardening 101 with Kirsten Saylor
Thurs, May 22nd  6-8pm
Eat Street Community Garden (2416 1st Ave S, Mpls)

Outdoor workshop. Please dress accordingly. Uncooperative weather means
the workshop will be at the Do It Green! Resource Center. Check the
website or email annie [at] doitgreen.org to confirm the location on the day of
the workshop.

The urban gardening movement is taking hold of the Twin Cities! Nothing
can be more local nor more satisfying than growing it yourself within your
own neighborhood or city. If you don't have a sunny backyard (or front
yard), there are still many options available to grow your own vegetables,
herbs and more. Kirsten Saylor of GardenWorks will help you navigate the
alternatives, from community gardens to sunny windows.

--------12 of 24--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Hwy 55/film 5.22 7pm

Thursday, 5/22, 7 pm, independent documentary on the Highway 55 reroute
encampment "The ReRoute: Taking a Stand on Sacred Land," Riverview
Theater, 38th St and 42nd Ave, Mpls.  biego001 [at] umn.edu or
http://www.oakfolkfilms.net/

--------13 of 24--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Lebanon 5.22 7pm

Thursday, 5/22, 7 pm, Middle East expert Cathy Sultan discusses her new
book "Tragedy in South Lebanon" about the lives of civilians in south
Lebanan and northern Israel during and fter the war of July 2006, Common
Good Books, 165 Western Ave, St Paul.  http://www.magersandquinn.com or

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Congo 5.22 7:30pm

Thursday, 5/22, 7:30 pm, A.P. reporter Bryan Mealer discusses his new book
"All Things Must Fight to Live: Stories of War and Deliverance in Congo,"
about the most deadly war since WW II, which has claimed an estimated 3.9
million lives, Magers and Quinn Booksellers, 3038 Hennepin Ave S, Mpls.
http://www.magersandquinn.com or 612-822-4611.