Progressive Calendar 05.13.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 01:39:49 -0700 (PDT)

1. Palestine       5.13 10am
2. Rwanda/Erlinder 5.13 5pm
3. Congo/salon     5.13 6:30pm
4. RNC             5.13 7pm
5. 3CD Greens/CTV  5.13 9:30pm
6. YAWR on Fox Ch9 5.13 10pm

7. Blue/green jobs 5.14 12noon
8. ESideHeritagePk 5.14 6pm
9. Organic lawn    5.14 6pm
10. Vets for peace 5.14 6:30pm RedWing MN
11. Amnesty Intl   5.14 7:30pm
12. Mary Tillman   5.14 7:30pm

13. Clinton Callahan - Beware the psychopath, my son
14. Gary Leupp       - Why all of our efforts won't stop an attack on Iran
15. Martha Rosenberg - Inside egg factory farm chambers of horrors

--------1 of 15--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Palestine 5.13 10am

Tuesday, 5/13, 10 am, Palestinian Melkite archbishop and long-time peace
activist Elias Chacour gives chapel service address at Luther Seminary, St
Paul.  http://www.pilgrimsofibillin.org or Joan at 608-241-9281.

--------2 of 15--------

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: Rwanda/Erlinder 5.13 5pm

Beloved St. Paul Neighborhood Network (SPNN 15) viewers:

"Our World In Depth" cablecasts in St. Paul on Tuesdays at 5pm, after
DemocracyNow!, midnight and Wednesday mornings at 10am.  All households
with basic cable may watch.

Tues, 5/13, 5pm & midnight and Wed, 5/14, 10am "Behind the Scenes at the
Hotel Rwanda"  Interview of William Mitchell College of Law prof. Peter
Erlinder, atty for the defense at the UN International Criminal Tribunal
for Rwanda.  Hosted by Karen Redleaf.

--------3 of 15--------

From: patty <pattypax [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: Congo/salon 5.13 6:30pm

This Tuesday, May 13, the salon will have Chingwell Mutombu as our guest.
Chingwell's parents were both Congolese citizens, but Chingwell, herself,
was born in Iowa.  She has started a non-profit microfinance organization
called First Step Initiative that brings the women (especially the women)
in the Democratic Republic of Congo the help they need to break the cycle
of poverty.

The following week we will be discussion the book everyone is reading,
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Relin.

From: rnc08 [at] riseup.net
Subject: RNC 5.13 7pm

How can different forms of protest co-exist for an effective response to
the RNC in September?

Perspectives on Protesting:  Diversity of Tactics at the RNC
Come join a discussion of past experiences, concerns and plans for how to
make the RNC demonstrations powerful. The discussion will be facilitated
by the Anti-War Committee and the RNC Welcoming Committee and include
audience members and panelists from a variety of community organizations.

TUES, 5/13 @ 7pm @ Waite House, 2529 13th Ave S, Mpls.
Free, open to all.  Childcare provided.

--------5 of 15--------

From: alforgreens [at] comcast.net
Subject: 3CD Greens/CTV 5.13 9:30pm

3rd Congressional District Green Party Show
aired on Southwest Cable TV- Edina, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Hopkins

Channel 15 - 30 min show
For the month of May - Tuesdays at 9:30 PM and Fridays at 5:30 PM

This month features Ken Pentel gubernatorial candidate for the Green Party
2006. He was the keynote speaker at the Fergus Falls Earth Day event on
April 22.  Only the first half hour of his talk will be shown.

--------6 of 15--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: YAWR on Fox Ch9 5.13 10pm

Hello Youth Against War & Racism supporters,
Tomorrow (Tuesday) night at 10pm, our local channel 9 Fox investigative
team has put together a piece on local military recruiters' lies. They
sent in under-cover reporters into the recruiters stations, and
interviewed YAWR activists and supporters to get our side of the story.
They also followed our school board campaign and victory. We're not sure
what all will be included in the 10pm investigative report, but tune in
and find out. www.myspace.com/yawrMN <http://www.myspace.com/yawrMN>

--------7 of 15--------

From: Joan Vanhala <joan [at] metrostability.org>
Subject: Blue/green jobs 5.14 12noon

Wednesday, May 14: Blue/Green Jobs
The Blue/Green jobs movement brings together labor and environmental
leadership to focus on job-creating solutions to global warming, green
economic development and environmental policies. Our panel of speakers
includes:

 Bernie Hesse, Director of Special Projects for UFCW Local 789
 Joshua Low, Blue Green Alliance Associate Regional Representative at the
Sierra Club
 Cara Letofsky, Policy Aide to Mayor R.T. Rybak

All roundtables are from noon to 1:30 pm at the Alliance for Metropolitan
Stability office, Suite 200, 2525 East Franklin Avenue, Minneapolis.
Roundtable events are free but an RSVP is required and space is limited.

Joan Vanhala Coalition Organizer Alliance for Metropolitan Stability 2525
E Franklin Avenue, Suite 200 Minneapolis, MN 55406 612-332-4471
joan [at] metrostability.org

--------8 of 15--------

From: RJFKramer [at] aol.com
Subject: ESide Heritage Pk 5.14 6pm

Eastside Heritage Park

Located north of Phalen Boulevard and between Payne Avenue and Arcade
Street, Saint Paul's newest park now has a name: Eastside Heritage Park.
The name was selected from dozens of community submissions. The vast
majority of suggestions referenced individuals, families, settlers,
businesses, or geologic attributes of the area.  Eastside Heritage Park
pays tribute to all of these themes and anticipates our future.

Noted architect, Dewey Thorbeck has schematic designs for this beautiful
park and trailhead and you are invited to view the plans at an open house
on:

Wednesday, May 14th
6 PM
John A. Johnson Elementary School
740 York Avenue (just west of Arcade Street)
Saint Paul' Eastside

Mayor Chris Coleman, City Councilmember Dan Bostrom, and City Council
President Kathy
Lantry will join representatives from the design team and local advisory
group for a brief program at 6:30 PM.  Eastside Heritage Park will surely
become a highly valued landmark and public space for the Eastside.  Come
celebrate this important occasion.

A key component of the Park will be an interpretive display that highlights
selected stories from the Eastside's rich history.  We need your help to
recommend, filter, and prioritize elements and themes that will appear in
the interpretative display.  What should people learn about when they come
to Eastside Heritage Park?  What should they know about the Eastside's
geologic history, original inhabitants, immigrant history, local heroes,
industries, fortunes and misfortunes?  What important, interesting, curious,
humorous, tragic, inspirational tales should be told?  Please submit your
suggestions to ParkName [at] ci.stpaul.mn.us by Friday, May 16, and don't forget
to join us at the Open House.

Jim Brewer, Landscape Architect Saint Paul Division of Parks and
Recreation 300 City Hall Annex 25 West 4th Street Saint Paul, MN 55102

--------9 of 15--------

From: Do It Green! Minnesota <Do_It_Green_Minnesota [at] mail.vresp.com>
Subject: Organic lawn 5.14 6pm

Natural Landscaping and Lawn Care with Organic Bob
Wed, May 14th  6-8pm
Do It Green! Resource Center located inside Twin Cities Green (2405
Hennepin Ave. S., Mpls)

Lawn care does not just mean spraying toxic chemicals and cutting the
grass with a gas-guzzling mower. You can have your lawn and green it too!
This presentation by local lawn expert Organic Bob (aka Botany Bob) will
introduce you to natural landscaping, native plants, organic lawn care and
more.

--------10 of 15--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Vets for peace 5.14 RedWing MN 5.14 6:30pm

Wednesday, 5/14, 6:30 pm, Red Wing Vets for Peace meet to plan 7/12
Pigstock retreat, 8/31 RNC march and goals for next year, home of John and
Marybess Goeppinger, 1008 W 3rd St, Red Wing.  FFI: Bill at
habedank [at] charter.net

--------11 of 15--------

From: Gabe Ormsby <gabeo [at] bitstream.net>
Subject: Amnesty Intl 5.14 7:30pm

AIUSA Group 640 (Saint Paul) meets Wednesday, May 14th, at 7:30 p.m. Mad
Hatter Teahouse, 943 West 7th Street, Saint Paul.

--------12 of 15--------

From: david unowsky <david.unowsky [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Mary Tillman 5.14 7:30pm

Mary Tillman speaks at Magers and Quinn 7:30pm Wednesday, May 14.

MAGERS AND QUINN PRESS RELEASE : For Immediate Distribution : Mary Tillman
discusses her heart-rending book Boots On The Ground By Dusk: My Tribute
To Pat Tillman, 7:30pm Wednesday, May 14 at Magers And Quinn Booksellers.

Pat Tillman was seen by many as an American hero. A star college football
player turned pro, he walked away from a multimillion-dollar NFL contract
after the 9/11 attacks, choosing to enlist in the U.S. Army. He graduated
from their elite Ranger school and was deployed to Iraq in 2003. On April
22, 2004, Pat Tillman was killed in Afghanistan. The administration and
the Pentagon immediately portrayed his death as the result of a dramatic
gun battle with the enemy, and Pat was posthumously awarded the Silver
Star and a promotion in recognition of his bravery. But as would later
emerge, Army officials were all along hiding the truth: Pat was killed by
his fellow Rangers. The Tillmans discovered this fact five weeks after
Pat's death, and six separate investigations have since been launched,
largely due to the family's passionate insistence. But even now, the true
circumstances remain murky and fraught with contradictions.

Here is Mary Tillman's story, as she describes her attempts to uncover the
truth about what happened to Pat and why the government went to such great
lengths to keep the circumstances secret. In the process, she paints an
indelible portrait of her son, a man of remarkable character who followed a
set of guiding principles that ultimately led him to Afghanistan and, in
death, into the hearts and minds of people all over the world.

Publisher contact: Beth.Tarson [at] rodale.com

For further information, contact: David Unowsky 612/822-4611
davidu [at] magersandquinn.com www.magersandquinn.com

MAGERS AND QUINN BOOKSELLERS 3038 HENNEPIN AVENUE SOUTH MINNEAPOLIS MN
55408 612-822-4611

--------13 of 15--------

Beware the Psychopath, My Son
by Clinton Callahan / May 12th, 2008
Dissident Voice

[An extremely interesting article. It holds that most of the people at the
top, everywhere and for thousands of years, are conscienceless
psychopaths. This seems to me correct. It says psychopaths are superb
manipulators of ordinary feeling people, which also seems correct; they
are way better at it than ordinary people such as myself will ever be. It
says we will not advance to a higher more humane civilization until many
of us learn that 1) scum rises to the top, and almost nothing else does,
2) that the scum causes all of the great evils (eg wars), and 3) that in
addition to doing good, we have to fight evil by systematically (as
second-nature I would add) getting them out of and keeping them out of
power. I add that a much more economicially equalitatian society would
keep the psychopaths small enough that we could be strong enough to
fight them, in the way our immune system fights disease.

After you've read and absorbed article below, apply it to the following
article by Gary Leupp "Why all of our efforts won't stop an attack on
Iran" and see how well it fits. Psychopaths, here and in Israel and
elsewhere, are in the saddle; good luck stopping them whenever they decide
they want something; evil unleashed. Will we get wise in time? Have we any
levers left to push that the top psychopaths have not already captured and
removed from our grasp? What future does the world and humanity have if we
don't change this, and fast?

And then apply it to the last article, by Martha Rosenberg "Inside egg
factory farm chambers of horrors". Psychopaths/capitalists/evil running
amok. -ed]

Beware the Psychopath, My Son
by Clinton Callahan / May 12th, 2008
Dissident Voice

The following is largely extracted from two articles:

Twilight of the Psychopaths, by Dr. Kevin Barrett and The Trick of the
Psychopath's Trade by Silvia Cattori. Both articles are recommended. Both
articles reference the book Political Ponerology: A science on the nature
of evil adjusted for political purposes, by Andrzej Lobaczewski. Cattori's
article is longer and includes an interview with the book's editors, Laura
Knight-Jadczyk and Henry See.

I make the effort to share this information because it gives me, at last,
a plausible answer to a long-unanswered question: Why, no matter how much
intelligent goodwill exists in the world, is there so much war, suffering
and injustice? It doesn't seem to matter what creative plan, ideology,
religion, or philosophy great minds come up with, nothing seems to improve
our lot. Since the dawn of civilization, this pattern repeats itself over
and over again.

The answer is that civilization, as we know it, is largely the creation of
psychopaths. All civilizations, our own included, have been built on
slavery and mass murder. Psychopaths have played a disproportionate role
in the development of civilization, because they are hard-wired to lie,
kill, cheat, steal, torture, manipulate, and generally inflict great
suffering on other humans without feeling any remorse, in order to
establish their own sense of security through domination. The inventor of
civilization - the first tribal chieftain who successfully brainwashed an
army of controlled mass murderers - was almost certainly a genetic
psychopath. Since that momentous discovery, psychopaths have enjoyed a
significant advantage over non-psychopaths in the struggle for power in
civilizational hierarchies -  especially military hierarchies.

Behind the apparent insanity of contemporary history, is the actual
insanity of psychopaths fighting to preserve their disproportionate power.
And as their power grows ever-more-threatened, the psychopaths grow
ever-more-desperate. We are witnessing the apotheosis of the overworld -
the overlapping criminal syndicates that lurk above ordinary society and
law just as the underworld lurks below it.

During the past fifty years, psychopaths have gained almost absolute
control of all the branches of government. You can notice this if you
observe carefully that no matter what illegal thing a modern politician
does, no one will really take him to task. All of the so called scandals
that have come up, any one of which would have taken down an authentic
administration, are just farces played out for the public, to distract
them, to make them think that the democracy is still working.

One of the main factors to consider in terms of how a society can be taken
over by a group of pathological deviants is that the psychopaths' only
limitation is the participation of susceptible individuals within that
given society. Lobaczewski gives an average figure for the most active
deviants of approximately 6% of a given population. (1% essential
psychopaths and up to 5% other psychopathies and characteropathies.) The
essential psychopath is at the center of the web. The others form the
first tier of the psychopath's control system.

The next tier of such a system is composed of individuals who were born
normal, but are either already warped by long-term exposure to
psychopathic material via familial or social influences, or who, through
psychic weakness have chosen to meet the demands of psychopathy for their
own selfish ends. Numerically, according to Lobaczewski, this group is
about 12% of a given population under normal conditions.

So approximately 18% of any given population is active in the creation and
imposition of a Pathocracy. The 6% group constitutes the Pathocratic
nobility and the 12% group forms the new bourgeoisie, whose economic
situation is the most advantageous.

When you understand the true nature of psychopathic influence, that it is
conscienceless, emotionless, selfish, cold and calculating, and devoid of
any moral or ethical standards, you are horrified, but at the same time
everything suddenly begins to makes sense. Our society is ever more
soulless because the people who lead it and who set the example are
soulless - they literally have no conscience.

In his book Political Oenology, Andrej Lobaczewski explains that clinical
psychopaths enjoy advantages even in non-violent competitions to climb the
ranks of social hierarchies. Because they can lie without remorse (and
without the telltale physiological stress that is measured by lie detector
tests), psychopaths can always say whatever is necessary to get what they
want. In court, for example, psychopaths can tell extreme bald-faced lies
in a plausible manner, while their sane opponents are handicapped by an
emotional predisposition to remain within hailing distance of the truth.
Too often, the judge or jury imagines that the truth must be somewhere in
the middle, and then issues decisions that benefit the psychopath. As with
judges and juries, so too with those charged with decisions concerning who
to promote and who not to promote in corporate, military and governmental
hierarchies. The result is that all hierarchies inevitably become
top-heavy with psychopaths. Since psychopaths have no limitations on what
they can or will do to get to the top, the ones in charge are generally
pathological. It is not power that corrupts, it is that corrupt
individuals seek power.

How can we distinguish between psychopaths and healthy people? What is the
portrait of a true psychopath?

Such a dangerous question has almost never been successfully asked. The
reason is because we mistakenly confuse healthy for normal. Human
psychological diversity is the health of our race. There is no normal
because healthy humans continuously evolve beyond all normalizing
standards. The terrorism of searching through hierarchies for anyone
deviating from normal is no different from witch hunts or Inquisitions.
You must remember that hierarchies thrive on such low dramas, torturing
victims until they confess to evil beliefs. Not so long ago the church and
state ongoingly acquired significant income and property through witch
hunts and Inquisitions. This continued for over two hundred and fifty
years. Ten generations of Europeans understood pogrom as normal life. Let
us not return to that nightmare. Testing for normal is guaranteed to
backfire in our face. There is no normal. But there is conscience.

We have very little empirical evidence to support the idea that true
psychopathy is the result of an abused childhood, and much empirical
evidence to support that it is genetic. The neurobiological model offers
us the greatest hope of being able to identify even the most devious
psychopath. Other recent studies lead to similar results and conclusions:
that psychopaths have great difficulty processing verbal and nonverbal
affective (emotional) material, that they tend to confuse the emotional
significance of events, and most importantly, that these deficits show up
in brain scans! A missing internal connection between the feeling heart
and the thinking brain is detectable.

Psychopaths are incapable of authentic deep emotions. In fact, when Robert
Hare, a Canadian psychologist who spent his career studying psychopathy,
did brain scans on psychopaths while showing them two sets of words, one
set of neutral words with no emotional associations and a second set with
emotionally charged words, while different areas of the brain lit up in
the non-psychopathic control group, in the psychopaths, both sets were
processed in the same area of the brain, the area that deals with
language. They did not have an emotional reaction until they
intellectually concluded that it would be better if they had one, and then
they whipped up an emotional response just for show.

The simplest, clearest and truest portrait of the psychopath is given in
the titles of three seminal works on the subject: Without Conscience by
Robert Hare, The Mask of Sanity by Hervey Cleckley, and Snakes in Suits by
Robert Hare and Paul Babiak. A psychopath is exactly that: conscienceless.
The most important thing to remember is that this lack of conscience is
hidden from view behind a mask of normality that is often so convincing
that even experts are deceived. As a result, psychopaths become the Snakes
in Suits that control our world.

Psychopaths lack a sense of remorse or empathy with others. They can be
extremely charming and are experts at using talk to charm and hypnotize
their prey. They are also irresponsible. Nothing is ever their fault;
someone else or the world at large is always to blame for all of their
problems or their mistakes. Martha Stout, in her book The Sociopath Next
Door, identifies what she calls the pity ploy. Psychopaths use pity to
manipulate. They convince you to give them one more chance, and to not
tell anyone about what they have done. So another trait - and a very
important one - is their ability to control the flow of information.

They also seem to have little real conception of past or future, living
entirely for their immediate needs and desires. Because of the barren
quality of their inner life, they are often seeking new thrills, anything
from feeling the power of manipulating others to engaging in illegal
activities simply for the rush of adrenaline.

Another trait of the psychopath is what Lobaczewski calls their special
psychological knowledge of normal people. They have studied us. They know
us better than we know ourselves. They are experts in knowing how to push
our buttons, to use our emotions against us. But beyond that, they even
seem to have some sort of hypnotic power over us. When we begin to get
caught up in the web of the psychopath, our ability to think deteriorates,
gets muddied. They seem to cast some sort of spell over us. It is only
later when we are no longer in their presence, out of their spell, that
the clarity of thought returns and we find ourselves wondering how it was
that we were unable to respond or counter what they were doing.

Psychopaths learn to recognize each other in a crowd as early as
childhood, and they develop an awareness of the existence of other
individuals similar to themselves. They also become conscious of being of
a different world from the majority of other people surrounding them. They
view us from a certain distance.

Think about the ramifications of this statement: Psychopaths are, to some
extent, self-aware as a group even in childhood! Recognizing their
fundamental difference from the rest of humanity, their allegiance would
be to others of their kind, that is, to other psychopaths.

Their own twisted sense of honor compels them to cheat and revile
non-psychopaths and their values. In contradiction to the ideals of normal
people, psychopaths feel breaking promises and agreements is normal
behavior.

Not only do they covet possessions and power and feel they have the right
to them just because they exist and can take them, but they gain special
pleasure in usurping and taking from others; what they can plagiarize,
swindle, and extort are fruits far sweeter than those they can earn
through honest labor. They also learn very early how their personalities
can have traumatizing effects on the personalities of non-psychopaths, and
how to take advantage of this root of terror for purposes of achieving
their goals.

So now, imagine how human beings who are totally in the dark about the
presence of psychopaths can be easily deceived and manipulated by these
individuals, gaining power in different countries, pretending to be loyal
to the local populations while at the same time playing up obvious and
easily discernible physical differences between groups (such as race, skin
color, religion, etc). Psychologically normal humans would be set against
one another on the basis of unimportant differences (think of Rwanda 1994,
think of Israelis and Palestinians) while the deviants in power, with a
fundamental difference from the rest of us, a lack of conscience, an
inability to feel for another human being, reaped the benefits and pulled
the strings.

We are seeing the final desperate power-grab or endgame (Alex Jones) of
brutal, cunning gangs of CIA drug-runners and President-killers;
money-laundering international bankers and their hit-men - economic and
otherwise; corrupt military contractors and gung-ho generals; corporate
predators and their political enablers; brainwashers and mind-rapists
euphemistically known as psy-ops and PR specialists - in short, the whole
crew of certifiable psychopaths running our so-called civilization. And
they are running scared.

Why does the Pathocracy fear it is losing control? Because it is
threatened by the spread of knowledge. The greatest fear of any psychopath
is of being found out.

Psychopaths go through life knowing that they are completely different
from other people. Deep down they know something is missing in them. They
quickly learn to hide their lack of empathy, while carefully studying
others' emotions so as to mimic normalcy while cold-bloodedly manipulating
the normals.

Today, thanks to new information technologies, we are on the brink of
unmasking the psychopaths and building a civilization of, by and for the
healthy human being - a civilization without war, a civilization based on
truth, a civilization in which the saintly few rather than the diabolical
few would gravitate to positions of power. We already have the knowledge
necessary to diagnose psychopathic personalities and keep them out of
power. We have the knowledge necessary to dismantle the institutions in
which psychopaths especially flourish - militaries, intelligence agencies,
large corporations, and secret societies. We simply need to disseminate
this knowledge, and the will to use it, as widely and as quickly as
possible.

Until the knowledge and awareness of pathological human beings is given
the attention it deserves and becomes part of the general knowledge of all
human beings, there is no way that things can be changed in any way that
is effective and long-lasting. If half the people agitating for truth or
stopping the war or saving the earth would focus their efforts, time and
money on exposing psychopathy, we might get somewhere.

One might ask if the weak point of our society has been our tolerance of
psychopathic behavior? Our disbelief that someone could seem like an
intelligent leader and still be acting deceptively on their own behalf
without conscience? Or is it merely ignorance?

If the general voting public is not aware that there exists a category of
people we sometimes perceive as almost human, who look like us, who work
with us, who are found in every race, every culture, speaking every
language, but who are lacking conscience, how can the general public take
care to block them from taking over the hierarchies? General ignorance of
psychopathology may prove to be the downfall of civilization. We stand by
like grazing sheep as political/corporate elites throw armies of our
innocent sons and daughters against fabricated enemies as a way of
generating trillions in profits, vying against each other for pathological
hegemony.

Nearly everyone who has been part of an organization working for social
change has probably seen the same dynamic play out: The good and sincere
work of many can be destroyed by the actions of one person. That doesn't
bode well for bringing some sort of justice to the planet! In fact, if
psychopaths dominate political hierarchies, is it any wonder that peaceful
demonstrations have zero impact on the outcome of political decisions?
Perhaps it is time to choose something other than massive, distant
hierarchies as a way of governing ourselves?

So many efforts to provide essays, research reports, exposes and books to
leaders so they might take the new information to heart and change their
behavior have come to naught. For example, in the final paragraph of his
revised edition of the book, The Party's Over, Richard Heinberg writes:

I still believe that if the people of the world can be helped to
understand the situation we are in, the options available, and the
consequences of the path we are currently on, then it is at least possible
that they can be persuaded to undertake the considerable effort and
sacrifice that will be entailed in a peaceful transition to a sustainable,
locally based, decentralized, low-energy, resource-conserving social
regime. But inspired leadership will be required.

And that is the just-murdered fantasy. There are no inspired leaders
anymore. And in hierarchical structures there can't be. Assuming that you
can elect men or women to office who will see reason and the light of day,
and who will change and learn and grow, make compassionate decisions and
take conscientious actions' is a foolish, childish dream. Continuing to
dream it simply plays into psychopathic agendas.

Only when the 75% of humanity with a healthy conscience come to understand
that we have a natural predator, a group of people who live amongst us,
viewing us as powerless victims to be freely fed upon for achieving their
inhuman ends, only then will we take the fierce and immediate actions
needed to defend what is preciously human. Psychological deviants have to
be removed from any position of power over people of conscience, period.
People must be made aware that such individuals exist and must learn how
to spot them and their manipulations. The hard part is that one must also
struggle against those tendencies to mercy and kindness in oneself in
order not to become prey.

The real problem is that the knowledge of psychopathy and how psychopaths
rule the world has been effectively hidden. People do not have the
adequate, nuanced knowledge they need to really make a change from the
bottom up. Again and again, throughout history it has been meet the new
boss, same as the old boss. If there is any work that is deserving of full
time efforts and devotion for the sake of helping humanity in this present
dark time, it is the study of psychopathy and the propagation of this
information as far and wide and fast as possible.

There are only two things that can bring a psychopath under submission:

1. A bigger psychopath.
2. The non-violent, absolute refusal to submit to psychopathic controls no
matter the consequences (non-violent noncompliance).

Let us choose path 2! If individuals simply sat down and refused to lift a
hand to further one single aim of the psychopathic agenda, if people
refused to pay taxes, if soldiers refused to fight, if government workers
and corporate drones and prison guards refused to go to work, if doctors
refused to treat psychopathic elites and their families, the whole system
would grind to a screeching halt.

True change happens in the moment that a person becomes aware of
psychopathy in all its chilling details. From this new awareness, the
world looks different, and entirely new actions can be taken.
Distinguishing between human and psychopathic qualities begins the
foundation of responsibility upon which we have a real chance to create
sustainable culture.

Clinton Callahan, originator of Possibility Management, author of Radiant
Joy Brilliant Love, founder of Callahan Academy, empowers responsible
creative leadership through authentic personal development. Read other
articles by Clinton, or visit Clinton's website.

This article was posted on Monday, May 12th, 2008 at 5:00 am and is filed
under Book Review, Military/Militarism, Psychology/Psychiatry, Revolution.

--------14 of 15--------

The Limits of Exposure
Why All of Our Efforts Won't Stop an Attack on Iran
By GARY LEUPP
CounterPunch
May 12, 2008

May 9. I read tonight a brief article by Philip Giraldi posted on the
American Conservative website: "War with Iran Might Be Closer than You
Think".

"There is considerable speculation," writes the former CIA officer, "and
buzz in Washington today suggesting that the National Security Council has
agreed in principle to proceed with plans to attack an Iranian al-Qods
[Revolutionary Guards]-run camp that is believed to be training Iraqi
militants.  The camp that will be targeted is one of several located near
Tehran".

Giraldi provides details. He reports that the meeting came as "the direct
result" of Hizbollah advances in Lebanon in recent days. (Recall that the
U.S. State Department lists the Shiite organization Hizbollah as
"terrorist" and as a tool of both Iran and Baathist Syria. In fact it is
probably the country's largest and most popular political party and has
built significant ties with some Christian and Sunni groups. Hizbollah's
rapid seizure of the Muslim sections of Beirut, accomplished with little
resistance, may have been deliberately provoked by the U.S.-backed
quasi-government of Lebanon when the latter shut down the party's private
communications network.)

Defense Secretary Robert Gates, according to Giraldi, was the only senior
official present urging delay. That suggests that the military is not
enthusiastic about a widened war in Southwest Asia, but that the other
regular members of the NSC (Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Treasury
Secretary Henry Paulson, National Security Advisor Stephen Hadley as well
as President Bush and Vice President Cheney) are willing to provoke just
that.

They will do what they do with the solid backing of Congress, the
presidential candidates, and the mainstream press which if history is our
guide will for a time shape shockingly malleable public opinion. Yes, I
fear that we (most of us) will be fooled again.

The Congress has passed near-unanimous resolutions against Iran, endorsing
the administration's unprecedented designation of a component of a
nation's military as a "terrorist organization". House Speaker Nancy
Pelosi will be on board the program. Recall how after the Democratic
victory two years ago she capitulated to AIPAC by stripping from a
military spending bill the requirement that Bush seek Congressional
approval before attacking Iran. (That was after she'd pointedly declared
that Bush-Cheney impeachment hearings were "off the table". And after Rep.
John Conyers, head of the House Judiciary Committee and sometimes
maverick, bitterly disappointed those pinning their hopes on him by going
along with the Democratic leadership's line. And after the Democrats had
made it clear they weren't serious about ending the war they'd been
elected to end - showing us how very well the democratic system works in
this country.)

John McCain, Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton (all of whom agree that an
attack on Iran is "on the table") will publicly approve. The media will
call upon the same "military analysts"/military industry consultants who
have been disseminating Pentagon propaganda for pay since 2002 to explain
why the attack is justified and necessary. The main talking-point has been
decided: "Iran is killing American soldiers in Iraq". Public opinion polls
will show the public divided, but a majority in support of the action
because, regardless of their feelings about the war in Iraq, they want to
"support our troops" and after all, Iran was asking for it by interfering
in Iraq and attacking us.

All the "exposure" that so many journalists and academics have tried to
provide for years will have failed to prevent another illegal attack on a
sovereign nation based on lies and bound to produce more outrage against
the U.S. throughout the world. A cruise missile strike on an alleged
training camp site won't end there. It will be designed to provoke an
Iranian response and legitimate further U.S. attacks, not only on Iran but
Syria and Lebanon, probably in coordination with Israel. Some in Israel
badly want the U.S. to behead all their main enemies in the region before
their good friend George Bush leaves the White House. If that means
regional chaos - clashes between Iranian and U.S. forces, the fall of the
Maliki puppet regime in Baghdad (which actually is friendly with Tehran
and says it's playing a positive role in Iraq), the collapse of Shiite
cooperation with the U.S. occupation, Iran-Iraq border clashes, U.S.
forays into Iranian territory, the closing of ranks in fractious Iran
against the imperialist assault on their country - so be it!

If it means renewed war in Lebanon including Israeli invasion, an Iranian
shift from supporting U.S. puppet Karzai to Iran's longtime enemy the
Taliban in Afghanistan, active Syrian support for Sunni forces in Iraq,
the disintegration of the fragile Sunni-"Coalition" alliance against
al-Qaeda in western Iraq as the region descends into a Shiite-Sunni war -
so be it! If it means the use of nuclear weapons against Iran to try to
cow its leaders and people into accepting a U.S.-Israeli blueprint for the
region - so be it! If it means the unthinkable in the U.S. - a return to
the draft - so be it! All of this will at least have prevented the
"nuclear holocaust" that the neocons, Cheney and Bush have been insisting
the Iranians plan to inflict on the Jewish state unless they are stopped
now. (No matter that all the U.S. intelligence agencies in their National
Intelligence Estimate on Iran published late last year agreed that Iran
does not now have a nuclear weapons program. And no matter that the
Ahmadinejad quote about "wiping Israel off the map" has been exposed as a
lie by Juan Cole and others.)

If Benjamin Netanyahu is Israeli prime minister at the time of the planned
attack on Iran, a time of apocalyptic confusion might be the perfect
opportunity to empty the West Bank of its Palestinians. This NSC agreement
"in principle" to attack Iran is an agreement to risk all these
ramifications, confident that the press and politicians will cooperate.

* * * * *
So often in recent months I've started to write a column exposing some
recent lie (or at least some report pertaining to Iran or Syria that
strikes me as obvious neocon-generated disinformation) only to give up
midway through. Not because of writer's block, fatigue, or even the
thought that "Someone else has already written this, or someone like Alex
Cockburn or Justin Raimondo or Scott Ritter or Gordon Prather will in the
next day or so". It's more a matter of despairing at how much exposure can
accomplish.

A friend of mine was saying last month, "People are 'exposured' out.
They're 'Chomskyed' out". He was speaking about young antiwar activists
mainly, but his point was that people who know what's going on are eager
to act on the knowledge. To paraphrase Marx, the point is not to expose
the world, or have it further exposed to you, but to change it.

The readership of sites like Counterpunch, Dissident Voice, and
Antiwar.com know the main points. They know that Dick Cheney, the most
powerful vice president in history (and the most secrecy-obsessed among
powerful figures in U.S. history), has made his office the hub of a cabal
of neocons hell-bent of effecting "regime change" throughout Southwest
Asia by the end of Bush's second term. They know that the Office of
Special Plans fabricated "intelligence" to terrify the masses and gain
support for the invasion of Iraq. They know that U.S. intelligence has
actually concluded that Iran has no nuclear weapons program, and that the
UN's IAEA scientists have found no evidence for one. But they also know
that Cheney insists that he knows there's one, just as the neocons such as
Norman Podhoretz and Michael Ledeen know there's one. Just as top Israeli
officials know there's one as they demand U.S. action against Iran. They
know there's a huge anti-Iran propaganda campaign underway very similar to
the one that preceded the lie campaign leading up to the Iraq War now in
its disastrous sixth year. They know that the U.S. is funding terrorist
groups to carry out attacks in Iran. They know that the administration's
allegations about a Syrian nuclear program are highly dubious.

They know that there are conflicts between the traditional intelligence
community and the neocons, and that the latter draw upon a coherent
(Straussian) philosophy that justifies the "noble lie" in order to induce
the foolish masses to support what the "wise" - who must conceal their
real objectives - want them to support. They distrust anything the
administration says about Lebanon, Somalia, Sudan.

Yes, they're "Chomskyed out".

Maybe we need to shift the focus of exposure a bit. From the particular to
the general. From nasty individuals to nasty institutions. From the
symptoms to the system.

What's worse? Cheney and his attorney David Addington crafting a document
in November 2001, bypassing routine staff review before receiving Bush's
signature, which denied "foreign terrorist" suspects in the U.S. access to
any courts and allowing for their indefinite detention? (This was exposed
by Barton Gellman and Jo Becker in the Washington Post last summer.) Or
the failure of the elected officials in Congress to even start impeachment
proceedings against Cheney and Bush?

What's worse? John Yoo writing up his torture memos in 2002 as a Justice
Department employee, as eventually exposed in the mainstream press? Or the
decision of the trustees of the University of California, Berkeley to hire
him as a law professor in 2003?

What's worse? Judith Miller's willingness to funnel disinformation to the
American people through her NYT articles before and after the Iraq
invasion? Or the Time's willingness to publish them, and now those of her
sometimes co-author Michael Gordon, cheerleading the coming Iran attack?

The Congress, the Justice Department, academia, and the press are all
complicit in imperialist war and attacks on the Constitution. Does this
mean the system isn't working, or that it's working all too well?

Is the system supposed to expose itself, through congressional hearings,
investigative reporting, war crimes trials? Or is it, serving the small
minority it's designed to serve, supposed to simply tolerate exposure (in
the name of freedom of the press) while saturating citizens with
propaganda? (If the exposure ever gets widely enough disseminated, and
threatens to undermine its objectives, it can always "kill the messenger"
- or at least accuse the writer of undermining national security, abetting
terrorism, etc.)

Voting for "antiwar" Democrats two years ago didn't end the war. Even
millions in the streets, peacefully demonstrating as the system
encourages, didn't prevent the assault on Iraq over five years ago. Now
there's no feasible political recourse to stop an attack on Iran. And
little time to mobilize mass demonstrations against it. It will come as a
thief in the night, presented to the American people as a fait accompli.
As the Bush-Cheney cowboys ride off into the sunset, smirkin' and grinnin'
and slapping each other's backs, the people will start to pay.

A character in Bertolt Brecht's The Beggar's Opera asks what's worse -
robbing a bank, or owning a bank? The system itself, that is to say, is
the criminal product of wrongly acquired wealth, much of it obtained
through imperialist war. Exposure alone, no matter how voluminous,
eloquent and persuasive, will not change it.

Gary Leupp is Professor of History at Tufts University, and Adjunct
Professor of Comparative Religion. He is the author of Servants, Shophands
and Laborers in in the Cities of Tokugawa Japan; Male Colors: The
Construction of Homosexuality in Tokugawa Japan; and Interracial Intimacy
in Japan: Western Men and Japanese Women, 1543-1900. He is also a
contributor to CounterPunch's merciless chronicle of the wars on Iraq,
Afghanistan and Yugoslavia, Imperial Crusades.

He can be reached at: gleupp [at] granite.tufts.edu

--------15 of 15--------

Inside the Egg Factory
Farmer Ernie's Chamber of Horrors
By MARTHA ROSENBERG
CounterPunch
May 12, 2008

The Boy Scouts of America Greater Yosemite Council commended his
leadership in transforming "a small family farm model to the current
computer driven egg-producing company." The Stanislaus County Board of
Supervisors inducted him into the Agriculture Hall of Fame. But according
to an undercover video aired on TV stations this week including CNN the
avuncular, civic-minded Ernie Gemperle operates a chamber of horrors for
the two million chickens caged on his Turlock, CA-based Gemperle
Enterprises farms.

The video, which includes workers gassing and stomping sick hens and
carcasses pulled from live hen cages, was shot over a two month period
earlier this year at Gemperle Enterprises egg farms in Delhi and Hilmar,
CA by an unidentified, undercover investigator hired to repair cages and
machines at the sites.

It was circulated by Chicago-based Mercy for Animals (MFA) a non-profit
group credited with exposing abuses at the Raeford, NC-based turkey
processor, House of Raeford in 2007 and Croton, OH-based Ohio Fresh Eggs
in 2004.

Following a Sacramento press conference at which California State Sen.
Carole Migden said, "I am horrified to see that farmers and workers would
treat animals with such disregard," Monrovia-based Trader Joe's announced
an "indefinite" ban of NuCal Foods, Inc. which distributes Gemperle eggs.

Ripons, CA-based NuCal Foods is the largest distributor of shell eggs in
the western United States, also supplying Raley's, SaveMart Supermarkets
and the U.S. Department of Defense at over 200 commissaries, says Nathan
Runkle, executive director of Mercy for Animals.

Raley's spokeswoman Nicole Townsend told the Associated Press the chain
plans to continue to carry all eggs from NuCal, but "does not condone any
acts of cruelty to animals," - as if there's no correlation.

The video shows what amount to the entire life cycle of the modern caged
laying hen from stuffing of the newly arrived pullets into file drawer
sized cages to retrieving them months later for the kill cart gas chamber
when they're "spent," barely recognizable as birds or being alive.

"There are multiple shots of moribund chickens with ailments ranging from
broken limbs to abscessed cloacae to illness so severe the birds are
unable to open their eyes or stand," commented Santa Rosa veterinarian Dr.
Christi Camlbor after viewing the video. "The presence of animals in such
poor conditions without any apparent method to detect them or provide them
with an instant death is extremely concerning."

"It is unclear why personnel depicted in this video chose to subject birds
to obvious pain and suffering when other means are available," says Dr.
Sara Shields, an animal behavior scientist and industry consultant.
"Stepping on a bird or twisting her neck is absolutely NOT an acceptable
method for killing a chicken. However, both of these methods are shown in
the video. The hens were undoubtedly in acute pain and continued to suffer
a protracted, slow death, as the video clearly shows they are not dead
when left."

In fact sadistic killing games were a regular part of work at Gemperle
Enterprises according to the MFA investigator. "Think I can kill it in
just one hit?" he records in his diary a coworker with a six foot piece of
PVC pipe asked him upon seeing a loose chicken on February 23, 2008.

When caught red-handed, factory farmers often charge investigators with
permitting or facilitating animal cruelty by not going to authorities.

But twice in the past two years a different humane group, Farm Sanctuary,
submitted similar videos to Merced County law enforcement authorities who
did not investigate, bring charges or even respond to allegations.

"We are obviously not going to launch a prosecution based on
unsubstantiated video," District Attorney Larry Morse III told the Modesto
Bee after the MFA expose. "If we have evidence of mistreatment of animals,
it should be investigated by the Sheriff's Department, and if found to be
legitimate, then should be forwarded to our office."

Nor can Gemperle Enterprises fall back on the standard
the-tape-is-inauthentic defense because the video includes external and
internal building markers and even images of Company president Steve
Gemperle inside the sheds, says MFA. (So much for the we-didn't-know
defense.)

And, when given a chance to prove MFA's video false by letting Sacramento
KCRA 3 camera crews into the egg barns, Ernie Gemperle declined - on
camera.

Working on an Ohio angle to the story, reporter Tom Brockman with NBC 4 in
Columbus, OH encountered a similar news camera embargo at Ohio Fresh Eggs
in Croton. "We were told making those arrangements usually take days for
reasons like they must have enough biohazard suits on hand," he said.

Not surprisingly, industry officials don't want to discuss the video in
light of the fact that Gemperle Enterprises held a "humane" certification
from United Egg Producers, the trade group representing 85% of U.S. egg
producers. Oops.

"It's been very difficult to get anyone involved in the egg industry to
watch the video and comment," disclosed reporter Dan Noyes with ABC 7's
I-Team. "Not the state Department of Food and Agriculture, the poultry
experts at UC Davis, and not even the county extension agents who work
with the farms. We had to go all the way to the University of Maryland to
speak with an expert in the Avian and Animal Sciences Department."

Looking more like Jack Kevorkian than Farmer Jones, Ernie Gemperle told
KCRA 3 reporters when the video broke it constituted an "invasion of
privacy" and the birds are well cared for and treated "better every year."
He defended the gassing seen on the video as how you dispose of "sick
birds," sick apparently meaning "spent" and "unprofitable" since they are
all gassed.

Martha Rosenberg is staff cartoonist on the Evanston Roundtable. She can
be reached at mrosenberg [at] evmark.org