Progressive Calendar 05.09.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 04:54:05 -0700 (PDT)

1. Amy Goodman     5.09 11am
2. Dakota/land     5.09 4pm
3. Env justice     5.09 5pm
4. Trans/gender    5.09/10 6pm
5. CIW/fair food   5.09 8pm
6. Moyers/health   5.09 9pm

7. Kid lit/peace   5.10 10am
8. MomsDay convo   5.10 10am
9. NWN4P Mtka      5.10 11am
10. EXCO picnic    5.10 1pm
11. Ntown vigil    5.10 2pm
12. Kalpulli cncrt 5.10 4pm
13. Bitch mag      5.10 4pm
14. CIW/bands      5.10 9pm
15. Cuba/CIA/CTV   5.10 9pm

16. Tom Burghardt - Dems prepare sell-out on telecom immunity, spying
17. Sharon Smith  - The self-righteous rich / Rockefeller family fables

--------1 of 17--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Amy Goodman 5.09 11am

Fri.May 9, 11am : AMY GOODMAN on KFAI Radio

If you missed the recent Twin Cities talk by DEMOCRACUY NOW! hot AMY
GOODMAN, here's a second chance. Speaking about the "ordinary extraodinary
heroes" in her newest book "Stop The Madness!", co-auhtored with her
brother, DAVID GOODMAN and, corporate media and more.

Amy Goodman's talk is brought to you by DON OLSON, host of NORTHERN SUN
NEWS, Fridays. 11am. *To access this in the on-line archive, the first
half will be at CATALYST;the second half on NORTHERN SUN NEWS.

This is a special edition of KFAI's HOUR OF PEOPLE POWER--broadcast every
FRIDAY 11am to NOON, with CATALYST (11am) hosted by Lydia Howell and
NORTHERN SUN NEWS (11:30am) hosted by Don Olson. KFAI RADIO 90.1fm Mpls
106.7 fm St. Paul

All shows achved for 2 weeks after broadcsat at htpp://www.kfai.org

--------2 of 17--------

From: "wamm [at] mtn.org" <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Dakota/land 5.09 4pm

Minnesota Sesquicenntenial: "150 Years of Lies"

The local Dakota community is asking for allies to support their voice,
raised as a counter-narrative to the official "celebration" of 150 years
of Minnesota statehood. This is an opportunity to stand up and listen to
voices who have been historically silenced. An opportunity for radical
witness to a narrative of genocide, broken treaties, and stolen land.
Today, the Dakota community has less than 3,000 members but is strong in
voice. There are many opportunities to attend to the master narrative, but
few to hear the voice of those who have been historically marginalized.
FFI: Call Diane, 651-983-6363 or email <hecetu1 [at] yahoo.com>.

Friday, May 9, 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. Walkways of the Mendota Bridge, Highway
55 Over the Minnesota River. Truth Telling Protest.

Sunday, May 11, 9:00 a.m. Tipi Wakan, Mounds Park, Earl Street and Mounds
Boulevard, St. Paul. Walk (or run) to the Minnesota State Capitol for a
rally at Noon to coincide with the colonial festivities on the actual day
of their sesquicentennial.

--------3 of 17--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: Env justice 5.09 5pm

May 9: Women's Environmental Institute. Phillips Community Environmental
Justice Forum And Feast. Free and open to the public.

Speakers and a panel discussion will address the following questions: What
is environmental justice?, What do we know about air quality in and around
the Phillips community?, What do we know about environmental health issues
in our community?, What can our community do to make our environment
safer, cut costs, create "green" jobs for residents, and address
environmental justice issues? Food, music and networking.

5 PM at Plaza Verde, Minneapolis.

--------4 of 17--------

Max Gries <mgries [at] visi.com>
Subject: Trans/gender 5.09/10 6pm

Announcing Minnesota's second annual
Trans Community Health and Wellness Fair
Presented by the Minnesota Transgender Health Coalition
May 9th & 10th, 2008

Featuring Keynote Speaker Surgeon Marci Bowers, MD of Trinidad, Colorado
With additional special guest Surgeon Loren Schechter, MD of Morton Grove,
Illinois
An event for trans and gender variant people, partners, family, allies,
health care providers, and the general community

South High School 3131 19th Avenue South Minneapolis, MN 55407
Free parking lot, wheelchair accessible
Near bus lines 19 & 21 or Lake Street light rail station
This event is free and everyone is welcome!

Visit our website at http://www.mntranshealth.org to pre-register and/or
fill out a workshop proposal form. If you have questions, or if you're
interested in volunteering or hosting an information table, please contact
us at 612-823-1152 or email us at mntranshealth [at] yahoo.com

MORE DETAILS:

Friday, May 9, 6-9 pm:
Dinner followed by Keynote Speech by Marci Bowers, MD

Saturday, May 10, 9 am-6 pm:
Health Fair Screenings and Information Tables,
Workshops, Chair Massage and more

Also Saturday, surgeons Marci Bowers, MD and Loren Schechter, MD will each
lead a workshop about their surgery practice, and will be on hand to
discuss surgical options with individuals.

Many thanks to All Gender Health at the University of Minnesota for
co-sponsoring the Twin Cities visits of Dr. Bowers and Dr. Schechter.

Friday dinner, Saturday continental breakfast and lunch will be provided
(meat, vegetarian, and vegan options available)

Supervised children's activities will be available this year, both Friday
and Saturday!

No-scent policy: Please refrain from wearing scented products so that
everyone, including those with allergies and Multiple Chemical
Sensitivities, can participate safely.