Progressive Calendar 04.10.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 02:21:42 -0700 (PDT)

1. Aeon housing        4.10 7:30am
2. Web env teach-in    4.10 11am
3. New Hope demo       4.10 4:30pm
4. Eagan peace vigil   4.10 4:30pm
5. Northtown vigil     4.10 5pm
6. LGBT                4.10 6:30pm
7. Globe/food          4.10 7pm

8. Electronics recycle 4.11 9am
9. Critical Mass trial 4.11 9am
10. Palestine          4.11 4:15pm
11. Pray for peace     4.11 6:30pm
12. Tutu               4.11 7pm
13. Capitalism/bust    4.11 7:30pm
14. Moyers/hunger      4.11 9pm
15. Voting conference  4.11-13
16. Papa John/Dakota   4.11 11:30pm

17. Karyn Strickler - The Sierra Club sells out to Clorox
18. Diane Peterson  - Minnesota Green denounces Sierra Club
19. Kevin Zeese     - Independent electoral movement sprouts

--------1 of 19--------

From: Jenny Johnson <JJohnson [at] aeonhomes.org>
Subject: Aeon housing 4.10 7:30am

Learn how Aeon is responding to the affordable housing shortage in the
Twin Cities. Please join us for a 1-hour Building Dreams presentation.

Minneapolis Session: April 10 at 7:30 am

We are also happy to present Building Dreams at your organization, place
of worship, or business. Space is limited, please register online at:
http://www.aeonhomes.org/bd or call Jenny Johnson at 612-341-3148 x237

Aeon 1625 Park Ave Minneapolis, MN 55404 (612) 341-3148 www.aeonhomes.org
<http://www.aeonhomes.org/>

--------2 of 19--------

From: Leslie Reindl <alteravista [at] usfamily.net>
Subject: Web env teach-in 4.10 11am

If you are able to join this, please do so.  This came from Carolyn
Baker, carolyn [at] carolynbaker.net.  She has a great blog/news item list
serve.

Converging Environmental Crises
Online Teach-In
for details visit:
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3781#more
<http://www.theoildrum.com/special/tag_listing>

The Ohio State University Department of Public Health is sponsoring a
web-based teach-in, which they would like TOD readers to help publicize.
The basic information is as follows:

Converging Environmental Crises:
A Teach-In on Energy, Climate Change, Water, Agriculture and Population
<http://cph.osu.edu/webcast/>
Thursday, April 10, 2008
11:00am to 4:00pm EDT
http://sg60.oar.net <http://sg60.oar.net/>
Select "Converging Environmental Crises" in the Pull-Down Menu

The teach-in is free, and has a fairly strong peak oil component. The
organizers are Dan Bednarz and Mac Crawford. A few high-lights:

11:30am Congressman Roscoe Bartlett provides a 15 minute introduction.

11:45am Terry Tamminen, former director of the California EPA, talks about
whether it is really possible to address climate change in time, and what
steps might be needed.

12:15pm Gail Tverberg, AKA "Gail the Actuary," talks about the economic
impact of an energy downturn.

12:45pm William Catton PhD, author of Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of
Revolutionary Change
<http://www.amazon.com/Overshoot-Ecological-Basis-Revolutionary-
Change/dp/0252009886/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206753089&sr=8-1> ,
talks about living on a finite planet, and reaching a carrying capacity
bottleneck.

1:30pm Dick Jackson MD, PhD, environmental health expert, talks about
pollution related issues.

Converging Environmental Crises flier
<http://medicine.osu.edu/sitetool/sites/pdfs/sphpublic/
converging_environmental_crises.pdf> . The flier also provides
biographical information on each of the speakers.

LIFE WITHOUT TRANSPORT BY OIL IS CLOSER THAN WE THINK

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/editorial/story.html?
id=a5a37e1e-3d2c-4b11-8313-4125a1d4cd3f

"Minivans, global air travel and the transport of goods by diesel truck
soon will become the stuff of yesterday as the world adapts to depleting
oil reserves."

--------3 of 19--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: New Hope demo 4.10 4:30pm

NWN4P-New Hope demonstration every Thursday 4:30 to 6 PM at the corner
of Winnetka and 42nd.  You may park near Walgreens or in the larger lot
near McDonalds; we will be on all four corners.  Bring your own or use
our signs.

--------4 of 19--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <family4peace [at] msn.com>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 4.10 4:30pm

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 4.10 5pm

From: lyn mitchell <lynmitch1 [at] msn.com>
Subject: LGBT 4.10 6:30pm

On Thursday April 10, 6:30-8:30 pm, at Gloria dei Lutheran Church 700 S.
Snelling Ave. St Paul MN, the Faith, Family, Fairness Alliance (FFFA),
Institute for Welcoming Resources (IWR) of the Gay and Lesbian Task Force,
and aMaze (creators of the Families All Matter Book Project) will present
a springtime resource fair to strengthen congregational work of LGBT
(Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) welcome, inclusion, and social
justice.

"Extreme Makeover Church Edition" will feature representatives and
resources of twenty different organizations, plus mini-sessions
highlighting ways to increase LGBT welcome and inclusion in worship,
religious education, and social justice work in our broader community.

The format is open house.  Come and network, examine materials and swap
ideas with fellow congregants, educators, clergy, and activists.
Mini-sessions begin at 7 p.m.  All are welcome.

Contact: nancymichael [at] amazeworks.org or call Laurie at 612-987-9833 (at
FFFA)

--------7 of 19--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Globe/food 4.10 7pm

Alexandra Spieldoch, Director of the Trade and Governance Program at the
Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy, will be the presenter at the
NW Neighbors for Peace program on Thursday April 10, 7 PM.

Ms. Spieldoch will speak on "Globalization - Its Impact on Our Food System
and Food Security Worldwide" at the Parish Community of St. Joseph, 8701 -
36th Avenue N., New Hope.  Her focus will be on reforming agriculture and
trade policy to support the right to food, international food safety,
biodiversity, global water justice, and women's rights. For more
information please contact Eileen Moran, 763-545-2296 or nwn4p [at] yahoo.com.*

--------8 of 19--------

From: Anne R. Carroll <carrfran [at] qwest.net>
Subject: Electronics recycle 4.11 9am

Free Electronic Recycling April 11 - 12

As part of Earth Day, a free electronics recycling event, sponsored by Sony
Electronics Inc., Best Buy Co. and Waste Management Inc., is gearing up to
be the largest in Minnesota history. At no charge, people can bring their
unwanted electronics to the following locations around the Twin Cities on
April 11 and 12 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.:

. Canterbury Park, 1100 Canterbury Rd. S., Shakopee
 . State Fairgrounds, 1265 N. Snelling Av., Falcon Heights
 . National Sports Center, 1700 105th Av. NE., Blaine
 . Grace Church, 9301 Eden Prairie Rd., Eden Prairie
 . Ecolab Schuman campus (April 12 only) Eagan Building F, 655 Lone Oak Dr.,
Eagan.

--------9 of 19--------

From: mpls-cm-support [at] riseup.net
Subject: Critical Mass trial 4.11 9am

The trial of Gus Ganley began today with opening statements from the
lawyers for the city and from Gus' defense.  The prosecution then called
their witnesses, all police officers, to the stand to testify as to what
they saw seven months ago.
 Officer David Stichter (#6837), who didn't see what happened with Gus at
all, testified to the fact that officers from the Ramsey County Sheriff's
Department briefed the MPD officers that this particular CM would be
different, which contributed to the police's extra-aggressive and brutal
behavior throughout the mass.
 Officer Richard Lillard (#4151) seemed to forget or completely lie about
his own highly physical interactions with Gus and other riders of the
Critical Mass and gave testimony that blatantly contradicted video taken
of those interactions.
 Officer Craig Williams (#7769), Gus' supposed arresting officer, was the
final witness to take the stand for the city.  Williams gave an elaborate
and well-rehearsed account of his interactions with Gus, but then wasn't
able to pick himself or those interactions out in a video that shows that
the only role he played in Gus' arrest was when he tackled him to the
ground.

The trial will resume on Friday, April 11th, at 9 AM.  Don't let the city
and the police get away with scapegoating the remaining three people who
still face charges!  Supporters are welcome to attend Gus' trial to show
their solidarity as he stands up for what is right.  Your donations are
also EXTREMELY helpful to help cover the costs of Gus' defense.  Get more
information on attending and donating online at the site below.
http://cmsupport.wordpress.com/

--------10 of 19--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Palestine 4.11 4:15pm

Friday, 4/11, 4:15 to 5:30 pm, vigil to end US military/political support
of the Israeli occupation of Palestine, corner Summit and Snelling, St
Paul.

--------11 of 19--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: Pray for peace 4.11 6:30pm

Friday, April 11: Justice Commission of the Sisters of St. Joseph of
Carondelet & Consociates 11th Day Prayer for Peace. Topic this month is
"Blessed are you who welcome the Stranger" focusing on migration &
immigration. 6:30-7:15 PM at Presentation of Our Lady Chapel, St. Paul.
More info: 651/690-7054.

--------12 of 19--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Tutu 4.11 7pm

Metropolitan State University President's Lecture Series features
Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, April 11

This year's Metropolitan State University President's Lecture Series
presents Archbishop Desmond Tutu who will be speaking on the subject
"Making Friends Out of Our Enemies." The program begins at 7 p.m. at the
Minneapolis Convention Center.

Tickets are available to the public for $50, plus $5 handling fee.
Simply click on the order button, below. If you prefer to order by phone
($6.50 handling fee for phone orders) call 877-772- 5425.

NOTE: Staff, faculty and students of Metropolitan State are eligible for
specially-priced tickets. Information is located on your university
portal announcement section. Metropolitan State alumni are also eligible
for specially-priced tickets. Alumni information can be found at
www.metrostate.edu/alumni.

youthrive, PeaceJam, Metropolitan State University and the National
Youth Leadership Council are working with area organizations to make
Archbishop Tutu's visit possible.

--------13 of 19--------

From: Campaign for A Working Democracy <workingdemocracy [at] minn.net>
Subject: Capitalism/bust 4.11 7:30pm

Global Capitalism & the Next Great Depression:

Why the international financial system is in crisis, why an economic
depression may result, and how a new democratically-run market-free system
will work rationally for the benefit of all.

Friday, April 11, 7:30 pm
MayDay Bookstore, 301 Cedar, Minneapolis

Sponsored by the Campaign for A Working Democracy
www.workingdemocracy.org    952-938-1935

--------14 of 19--------

From: t r u t h o u t <messenger [at] truthout.org>
Subject: Moyers/hunger 4.11 9pm

Bill Moyers Journal | Hunger in America
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/040908U.shtml
Bill Moyers Journal investigates the empty shelves at US food banks, and
asks, "As food prices go sky high and millions go hungry in America, why
are tax dollars being spent on farmers who don't farm?"

--------15 of 19--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Voting conference 4.11-13

4/11 to 4/13, conference "Voting Justice, Voting Hope: Progressive Faith
Taking Action," with Jim Wallis, Rabbi Michael Lerner and Ray Suarez,
Plymouth Church, 1900 Nicollet Ave (at Franklin), Mpls.  $95 for whole
conference until 4/4.  Details at
http://www.plymouth.org/calendar/events.php

--------16 of 19--------

From: John Kolstad <jkolstad [at] millcitymusic.com>
Subject: Papa John/Dakota 4.11 11:30pm

Here is a gig we have been looking forward to for some time. Papa @ the
Late Night At The Dakota This is the classiest Jazz and music club in
town.  They do these late night shows for the after Theatre crowd and
those people just not ready to go to bed too early Saturday night.

My group (Papa John K & The Hot Club Of East Lake) will be performing the
late night show Saturday, April 12 at the Dakota.  Eric Graham will be
joining us on upright Bass., along with Sam and Deano and Clint.  We have
two great sets of blues and Swing to play.  Django to Gershwin to Slim
Gaillard to Harry "The Hipster" Gibson..  We start at 11:30 to 11:45 and
play until 1:30.  This is our first formal appearance at the Dakota.
Cover only $5.00 They do have great food by I don't know how late the
Kitchen is open.

Then Sunday April 13, Papa & The Hot Club Quartet are at the Kitty Cat In
Dinkytown 8 to 11 PM.  Neat place.  Like stepping back into anohter time.
No cover.  It is a great listening room and very comfortable (Big chairs
and couches all around the joint)

Please pass it on to those who may be interested.
Thanks. John Kolstad 612/722-6649

--------17 of 19--------

The Sierra Club Sells Out to Clorox
Lost in the Fumes
By KARYN STRICKLER
CounterPunch
Apri1 9, 2008

In 2004 I was recruited by grassroots activists to run, as a reform
candidate, for a spot on the national Sierra Club Board of Directors. At
the time, I believed that election was going to be a battle of the old
guard versus the reformers. I thought then that the old guard wanted to
maintain power for power's sake and perpetuate the status quo. Reformers
wanted stronger protections and fewer compromises on environmental issues
and more grassroots involvement in the process.

All efforts at reform were squished that year, and for a long time to
come, when reformers were overwhelmed by a masterful public relations
campaign orchestrated by Sierra Club executive director Carl Pope, who
deceptively, but successfully made Club members, the nation and the world
believe that the Board was about to be taken-over by an anti-immigration,
hate group.

In the 2004 Board election, a group whose membership is still a mystery,
called Groundswell Sierra, orchestrated a bizarre independent
expenditure-type campaign on which there were no spending limits and no
reports, in apparent violation of internal Sierra Club policies and
California law. By my estimate, Groundswell spent as much as half a
million dollars to elect the old guard -- a group of Board members who
were hand-picked by, and the human equivalent of rubber-stamps for Carl
Pope.

Beyond the detrimental effects within the Sierra Club, the Groundswell
tactics took the focus off of direct assaults on the environment posed by
the Bush administration. Squelching all reform candidates' chances didn't
stop industry from taking the tops off of our mountains and dumping them
into our streams or making our air and water human health hazards. It
didn't reverse global warming. The orangutan still faced extinction along
with countless other endangered species and their unique habitat.
Extractive industry continued to destroy our public lands, profiting a few
at the expense of many.

Still, in 2004, even reformers did not imagine that Carl Pope and his
Board of rubber-stamps would partner with Clorox, the manufacturers of
deadly toxins that threaten the natural world. Supporting Clorox's "Green
Works," will not diminish the production of their noxious chemicals. The
partnership will allow the kind of green washing with which Sierra Club
members, activists and chapters do not want to be associated.

Everyone is wondering how much control of internal Club policies Clorox's
money will buy. One thing is certain: The fog of big money, mixed with
chlorine gas and the bright lights of power that come from being players
in the political game of compromise -- has caused Carl Pope and the
national Sierra Club board to completely lose sight of the path to true
environmental protection.

Karyn Strickler, political scientist, activist and writer can be reached
at fiftyplusone [at] earthlink.net .

--------18 of 19--------

From: Diane J. Peterson <birch7 [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Minnesota Green denounces Sierra Club

Fellow Greens,

My aggrieved husband asked me to publicize his discontent with the
sell-out of the National Sierra Club to the evil of corporatism.  He
specifically asked me to put his memo on the Green Party e-list.  We have
felt burned by the Club shunting the Green Party aside in previous years
by discounting Green candidates for political office; however, the Chlorox
scandal put my environmental educator sweetheart into a final snit, as you
see below.
Down with corporate fascism

To: Sierra Club Member Services
Subject: Please suspend our membership

To whom it may concern:

Due to Sierra Club National board's decision to suspend the Florida
Chapter for its opposition to the Sierra Club endorsement of Clorox Green
Works products, we wish to suspend our membership.  We do not request a
refund of dues, we simply do not want to receive mailings, emails, Sierra
magazine, solicitations, endorsements, or other communications from Sierra
Club National.  We will pursue communication with our local chapter to
find out if we can continue our support there.

We will no longer support Sierra Club National.  An activist organization
has no business endorsing any product, no matter how environmentally
benign or educationally valuable it may appear to be to make such an
endorsement. Sierra Club National has - in this endorsement more than in
any made previously, in its suppression of dissent by the Florida Chapter,
and in its heavy-handed "no third parties need apply" approach to
political endorsements - shown us that what was once an uncompromising
protector of the environment has become an ally (perhaps unwittingly, but
nevertheless intolerably) of corporations and corporation-influenced
politics.

Sierra Club National no longer deserves the support of grass-roots
activists.  Its actions impede the democratic process of government of,
by, and for the people.  Sierra Club National appears to have become a
corporate entity no longer controlled by the membership at large and
increasingly failing to serve its members' interests.  The assertion that
these actions by Sierra Club National are well-meaning is insufficient.
We agree that all of the benefits claimed by Sierra Club National for
these actions may be accurately portrayed.  It is not the outcome, but the
actions themselves, which we find unacceptable.

Until and unless this changes, we wish to have no further contact with
Sierra Club National.

ID# ******** D Crawford and D Peterson Member continuously since 1990,
member more often than not since 1970

--------19 of 19--------

Independent Electoral Movement Sprouts with Former Democrats and
Republicans Challenging Their Former Party on Iraq
Three Campaigns Will Pull the Duopoly to Really End the Iraq Occupation
by Kevin Zeese / April 9th, 2008
Dissident Voice

The seeds of the independent electoral movement are beginning to sprout
and the Iraq occupation is likely to be its fertilizer.

In 2004, there was only one significant challenger to the corporate
political duopoly both of whom put forward candidates that campaigned in
favor of continuing the Iraq occupation. This year, there will be three
legitimate campaigns challenging the duopoly. And, since none of the
Democratic or Republican Party candidates is calling for a real end to the
occupation, Iraq may provide the energy for these efforts.

Ralph Nader is fond of saying that every oak tree begins with a seed and a
sprout. Since 2000, he had to weather a barrage of attacks from the
Democratic Party, their allied 527 organizations, non-profits allied with
the Democratic Party and the concentrated corporate media especially the
liberal elites who ally with the Democrats. But, he is still standing and
still fighting to open up the political process in the United States.
Nader ran an anti-war campaign in 2004 before there was majority support
for ending the war and he has worked every day since then to end the war.
In 2008, the Nader-Gonzalez Campaign looks stronger than 2004.

The combination of the path he has cut, the candidates of the two parties
and the mood of the electorate has pulled former Democrats and Republicans
into the independent electoral movement.

The first to take the leap was former Representative Cynthia McKinney.
McKinney served 12 years in the U.S. House of Representatives where she
urged an end to the Iraq occupation, advocated for the impeachment of
President Bush and Vice President Cheney, sought release of 9/11
Commission's underlying data, advocated on behalf of Katrina victims and
sought to cut the bloated military budget. Twice she was defeated in the
primary by a Democratic Party leadership approved candidate who worked
with Republican cross-over voters for her defeat. She registered Green in
September and became a candidate in a "Power to the People" campaign in
October. She is the putative nominee of the Green Party and will be on the
ballot in almost all states.

Second to make the transition was former Alaska Senator Mike Gravel.
Gravel ran in the Democratic Primary for president where he was very
critical of the leading candidates for their militaristic foreign policies
and their weak Iraq withdrawal plans. Gravel says he ran until the defense
contractor, General Electric, which owns NBC allied with the Democratic
Party leadership to keep him out of the debates. He has been an aggressive
anti-war advocate since the Vietnam era where he gained recognition for
ending the Vietnam draft with a filibuster and also read the Pentagon
Papers into the Congressional Record when the courts threatened the N.Y.
Times with prosecution if they published the documents. Gravel became a
Libertarian in March and immediately filed to run for president.

The most recent candidate is Bob Barr. Barr, also a former congressman
from Georgia, served in the House for eight years. He abandoned the
Republican Party in 2004 and supported the Libertarian candidate for
president. Last week, he announced he was putting in place an exploratory
committee as a step to running for the Libertarian nomination. Barr gained
national recognition during the impeachment of President Clinton. Since
leaving office, he has been very critical of increased wiretapping, the
Patriot Act, the drug war and the war in Iraq. He favors a
non-interventionist foreign policy and has described the destruction and
occupation of Iraq as "the height of arrogance". He urges a new political
realignment of right and left to end the war in Iraq and protect the Bill
of Rights. Barr is the natural heir to the Ron Paul libertarian movement
within the Republican Party.

This election cycle has shown excitement about two candidates so far - Ron
Paul and Barak Obama. Both generated that support by saying they were
against the war and seeking paradigm shifting change from the corrupt ways
of Washington, DC. They were promising not to be "more of the same".

Unfortunately, Senator Obama has reversed course and can no longer be
described as a peace candidate. He recently said he will leave the private
mercenaries in Iraq which at a minimum are 140,000 troops and may be twice
that number. His campaign has said that Obama will leave up to 80,000
troops in Iraq. And, Obama has said he will withdraw combat troops to a
surrounding country like Kuwait so they could serve as a strike force in
Iraq. Obama continues to promise to end the "war" but the details do not
describe an end to the war. Further, he has kept a military attack against
Iran on the table and plans to expand the already too large and too
expensive military by 92,000 troops. He describes his foreign policy as a
return to the policy of George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan and JFK - all of
whom aggressively used U.S. military force.

Obama may think he has the Democratic nomination wrapped up and is
positioning himself for the General Election, but now with three serious
independent political challenges who all oppose the war his
Republican-lite positions risk losing many peace voters and the election.

The desire for more choices in elections has been growing in recent years.
The president has very low approval ratings as does the Congress - the
latter for their failure to fulfill their 2006 mandate to end the war.
One-third the electorate now considers themselves independent, not
Democratic or Republican. More and more Americans are feeling like Jesse
Ventura who recently wrote:

This excerpt from Don't Start the Revolution Without Me! reveals some of
my feelings about the Bush administration, but readers should not think
that my criticisms of today's political world are aimed only at their
spectacular failures. Democrats are no better than the Republicans. And
corporate America, the religious right, and the media have all contributed
to the quagmires we find ourselves in overseas and at home. That's why we
need a political revolution, to take power from the political parties and
their big money supporters and return power to the people.

The corruption of the Congress, and the two parties, became even more
evident when the Center for the Study of Responsive Politics released a
report showing that Members of Congress have made $196 million in their
military-investments since the war in Iraq began. That's right - we have
war profiteers voting on whether to end the war - a decision that would be
against their own personal financial interests. And, according to the
Center the Democrats had more invested in Iraq contractors than the
Republicans with the number one war-investor being their 2004 presidential
candidate, Sen. John Kerry.

Of course, the odds are against all of these independent electoral
candidates. The two parties and the concentrated media have constructed an
election system that creates immense hurdles. The phony National
Commission on Presidential Debates was designed in large part to keep
third party and independents out of the debates after the League of Women
Voters let Ross Perot participate. And, the media sings the two parties
song - don't waste your vote on someone who can't win. Right - I oppose
the Iraq war and militarism so I should waste my vote on someone who will
not end the Iraq occupation and will keep expanding the military.

In fact, throughout history candidates who did not win have had a
tremendous impact on changing the paradigm in the United States. Almost
every major shift has been spurred by third party candidates who did not
win, e.g. ending slavery, women voting, ending child labor, health care
for the poor and elderly, retirement funds for all. So, it is not a wasted
vote to vote for what you want. In fact as Eugene Debs said - "voting for
what you want and not getting it is better than voting for what you don't
want and getting it".

The Democrats in particular who are counting on the anti-war vote in 2008
better re-think their center-right strategy on Iraq. Peace voters will
have three campaigns pulling them away from the two parties. If the
Democrats run away from peace voters they risk losing the election.
Nader-Gonzalez, Barr-Gravel and Cynthia McKinney have tripled the pull for
the peace vote.

Kevin Zeese is director of Democracy Rising and co-founder of Voters For
Peace. Read other articles by Kevin, or visit Kevin's website.

This article was posted on Wednesday, April 9th, 2008 at 5:00 am and is
filed under "Third" Party, Anti-war, Democrats, Elections, Iraq. Send to a
friend.