Progressive Calendar 04.08.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 05:29:24 -0700 (PDT)

1. RNC/free speech 4.08 11am
2. Human rights    4.08 12noon
3. Peace rally     4.08 2:45pm River Falls WI
4. How govt works  4.08 5pm
5. Iran/US/CTV     4.08 5pm
6. Arabic classes  4.08 6pm
7. Ramsey sheriff  4.08 6pm
8. Salon/Cinquains 4.08 6:30pm
9. Rethinking 9/11 4.08 7pm
10. TACSR/stadium  4.08 7pm
11. Peace book     4.08 7:15pm
12. 3CD Greens CTV 4.08 9:30pm

13. Youth/KFAI     4.09 11am
14. AnimalAg/phew! 4.09 7pm
15. Sex slavery    4.09 7pm
16. Marg.Randall   4.09 7:30pm

17. Stephen Lendman - Destroying public education in America
                      [Stealing America]

--------1 of 17--------

From: greenpartymike <ollamhfaery [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: RNC/free speech 4.08 11am

Communities United Against Police Brutality
ACTION ALERT
CITY PULLING FUNNY BUSINESS! FREE SPEECH UNDER ATTACK!

As you may remember, Minneapolis and St. Paul have been using some pretty
creative ways to try to deny free speech rights to people who are planning
to protest the RNC in 2008.  They've both formed "free speech working
groups" that are busy crafting new ordinances and resolutions to severely
restrict our ability to protest.

Up to now, the Minneapolis group has held its meetings on Wednesdays.  In
a surprise move, they are holding a working group meeting tomorrow and
will put forward a bizarre ordinance proposal that gives all power to the
Chief of Police to decide who gets permits and allows cops to add
restrictions "on the fly" while events are in progress!

We must oppose this nutty proposal while we still can!

Move heaven and earth to get to this "free speech" working group meeting
tomorrow:

"Free Speech" Working Group of the City of Minneapolis
Tuesday, April 8
11:a.m. to 12:00 noon
Minneapolis City Hall
350 S Fifth Street, Room 333

--------2 of 17--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Human rights 4.08 12noon

Tuesday, 4/8, noon to 1 pm, Mary Ellingen, Rosalyn Park and Cheryl Thomas
of the Advocates for Human Rights speak on "Transforming Laws and Lives:
15 Years of Global Reform" in women's rights, Brigs and Morgan, MN Room,
2d200 IDS Center , 80 S 8th St, Mpls.  CLE credit available.
http://www.mnadvocates.org or 612-341-3302 ext 107 (free, but registration
required).

--------3 of 17--------

From: "wamm [at] mtn.org" <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Peace rally 4.08 2:45pm River Falls WI

Community March and Rally in the River Valley
Tuesday, April 8, 2:45 p.m. (March), 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. (Rally) River Falls
Public Library, 140 Union Street, River Falls, Wisconsin.

Meet at the River Falls Public Library and march south on Main Street to
an anti-war rally at University Center Mall at the University of
Wisconsin, River Falls. Local live music from Sepia Tone and Thea Ennen.
Veteran and activist speakers. Free food. "Support the troops-bring then
home now! Money for jobs and education-not war! Full benefits for
returning veterans! No escalation of violence in the Middle East!"
Sponsored by: the River Falls Anti-War Coalition. FFI: Call Nick,

From: Andy Driscoll <andy [at] driscollgroup.com>
Subject: How govt works 4.08 5pm

COGI-tations
A program of the Minnesota Coalition on Government Information

James Nobles
Legislative Auditor, State of Minnesota
Bringing Light to How Government Works

Tuesday, April 8, 2008
5pm
TIES Administrative Building
1667 Larpenteur (SW corner of Snelling & Larpenteur)
St. Paul

Since 1983, Jim Nobles has diligently served the State of Minnesota as
Legislative Auditor.  The nonpartisan Legislative Auditor provides a
critical link between the inner workings of state government and the
taxpayers.

The work of the Legislative Auditor includes financial audits, program
evaluations, and special reviews in cases of alleged misuse of state funds
or resources, or alleged violations of the state code of conduct for
employees in the Executive Branch.  The Legislative Auditors authority
extends to virtually all state funded programs and studies that affect
state government.  As we have recently seen in the news, audits in
progress include the states JOBZ program, Green Acres and agricultural
land preservation programs, charter schools, PERA and financial management
of healthcare programs.  We can also expect a legislative audit of our
states highways and bridges to be released soon.

Though reports of the Legislative Auditor may at times escape the
headlines, they capture the attention of elected officials, bureaucrats
and advocacy groups because of the critical watchdog function played by
Nobles office.

Come meet Jim Nobles and learn more about the mission of this unique agent
of openness, who is responsible to a great extent for transparency in
government, for public disclosure of problems, and for investigative
reports essential to an informed citizenry.

Co-sponsored by Common Cause Minnesota & Minnesota Coalition on Government
Information
Free and open to the public

[How govt works:
1. Lobbyist brings largest basket of bills he can carry.
2. Legislator opens trunk of car. (his work for the week)
3. Lobbyist dumps basket in trunk.
4. Corp XXX gets $6 gobillion of public assets.
    --And they say govt isn't responsive!! Ha!

Next week:
How pigs fly. -ed]

--------5 of 17--------

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: Iran/US/CTV 4.08 5pm

"Our World In Depth" cablecasts in St. Paul on Tuesdays at 5pm, after
DemocracyNow!, midnight and Wednesday mornings at 10am.  All households
with basic cable may watch.

Tues, 4/8, 5pm & midnight and Wed, 4/9, 10am "Iran and the US: Myths and
Reality"  Interview of Nasrin Jewell, Iranian born professor at the
College of St. Catherine.  Co-hosted by Karen Redleaf and Eric Angell.
(repeat)

--------6 of 17--------

From: Mizna  <mizna-announce [at] mizna.org>
Subject: Arabic classes 4.08 6pm

Mizna's 2008 Arabic Classes are filling up fast. Register online to assure
your spot.
 Arabic Language for Beginners Tuesdays, April. 8 - June? 10, 2008 (10
weeks) 6 - 7:30 pm
 Arabic Language II Tuesdays, April. 8 - June 10, 2008 (10 weeks) 7:30 - 9
pm
 Arabic Language III Thursdays, April. 10 - June 12, 2008 (10 weeks) 6 -
7:30 pm
 Arabic Language IV Thursdays, April. 10 - June 12, 2008 (10 weeks) 7:30 -
9 pm

All classes are held in our Northeast Minneapolis office.
Go here to register and find out more information:
http://www.mizna.org/classes/index.html

Mizna is a forum for Arab American art. Visit our website at
http://www.mizna.org.

--------7 of 17--------

From: Diane J. Peterson <birch7 [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Ramsey sheriff 4.08 6pm

Ramsey County Charter Commission Public Meeting
Ramsey County will hold a public hearing on Tuesday, April 8, 2008 to
discuss a potential amendment to the Ramsey County Home Rule Charter
regarding the appointment vs. election of the Ramsey County Sheriff.  The
hearing will begin at 6 p.m. and will be held in the Third Floor Council
Chambers at St. Paul City Hall/Ramsey County Court House.

If you would like to address the Commission, please call Bonnie Jackelen
at 651-266-8014.  If you are unable to attend, you may provide comments
through e-mail at sheriffcharteramendment [at] co.ramsey.mn.us or by mail to
Ramsey County Charter Commission, 250 Court House, 15 West Kellogg
Boulevard, St. Paul, MN 55102.

From: patty <pattypax [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: Salon/Cinquains 4.08 6:30pm

Tuesday, April 8, our guest is Morgan Grace Willow, a poet from the Twin
Cities who will not only read her poems, but will show us how to write
"Cinquains", 5 line poetry.  Bring some paper and pen.  It will be really
fun.

Another event in the near future will be May 20 will be the discussion
of the book, Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortenson.  Everyone is reading
this book so hope all of you can get a copy and come to discuss.