When We Look- Women's Experiences in War & Community
From: Robyn Beth Priestley (robynpaintedturtledesign.com)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:07:01 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Dan,

Please post the following on your calendar, or email newsletter. Please feel free to edit. Thank you!

--
Robyn Priestley
Tripod Support Services

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------

For Immediate Release

Press Contact: Margo Abdo O'Dell, 612-239-9004, margoabdo [at] margo1.com.

When We Look

April 3-6, and April 10-13, 2008
Thursday through Sunday at 8:00 PM
Panel discussions after both Saturday evening performances on April 5th and 12th.

Intermedia Arts
2822 Lyndale Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55408

Tickets: General $18, Students and Seniors, $13, Groups of 10 or more, $15
Reservations: 612-871-4444

When We Look is a theatrical presentation using movement, storytelling, and live music to tell the story of real women who have survived war and civil strife to emerge survivors and leaders in rebuilding their communities.

When we don't change the channel, when we don't turn the page,
When We Look
We see who really pays the price for war

When We Look is an interdisciplinary theatrical presentation that highlights the plight of women who, because of war or civil strife, face challenges that test their physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual well-being.

When We Look is a presentation of the real stories of remarkable women who, against all odds, have moved from victim to survivor to community leaders, working to rebuild their villages and towns.

When We Look tells the stories of women worldwide who have moved from being victims of war, the “collateral damage” glossed over in news reports. They are stories that open our eyes to who really suffers when there is a war.

When We Look inspires us with the power of the individual to effect change.

Margo Abdo O'Dell, choreographer and dancer, and Esther Ouray, theater artist, gathered local artists from multiple disciplines who share a commitment to using art to encourage social change (list below), and to tell stories of women who lived through violence and trauma from across the globe, including Bosnia, Rwanda, and the Gulf War, (through the eyes of an American soldier). Through movement, live music, and storytelling, these artists have created a unique collaboration, blending their talents and passions with the words of the victims.

Wrenchingly painful, these stories also inspire hope; they reach across continents and cultures to inspire compassion-fatigued Americans that our individual efforts do matter and that each one of us can become an agent for peaceful change.

O'Dell and Ouray were inspired to create When We Look by their participation in Women for Women, International, an organization whose mission is to provide women survivors of war, civil strife and other conflicts with the tools and resources to move from crisis and poverty to stability and self-sufficiency, thereby promoting viable civil societies. Women for Women International provided O'Dell and Ouray with some of the stories that will be brought to the stage for When We Look.

When We Look promotes and fosters the connections between artistic practice and social responsibility. It facilitates relationships between artists, individuals and community groups on the one hand, and between artists and progressive sociopolitical engagement, on the other. A portion of proceeds will go to the Save Darfur Coalition.

Artists participating in When We Look are Julie Kastigar, Jocko MacNelly, Tim O'Keefe, Ellena Schoop, Laurie Witzkowski, and Maryam Yusefzadeh, with script by Aditi Kapil.

Members of the show are available for interviews, speaking both about the production and the power of the individual to change a world in need of our compassion.

To learn more about When We Look, the reasons for creating the show, the artistic philosophy, and to preview some of the stories featured and how find ways to become involved in creating change, visit www.Margo1.com and click on When We Look.

Panel discussions after both Saturday evening performances on April 5th and 12th will include some of the following experts:
A representative from Advocates for Human Rights
Dr. Ellen Kennedy, Outreach Coordinator, Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, University of Minnesota Coordinator, Genocide Intervention Network- Minnesota
Hugh Parmer, Director, American Refugee Committee
Chante Wolf, Veteran, First Gulf War
Kristi Rudelius Palmer, Co-director of The University of Minnesota Human Rights Center
Judy Saumweber, Aide worker, Cambodia and Thailand
Tricia Cornell, Center for Victims of Torture
Senator Sandy Pappas, Minnesota's District 65, 6th term

This production is made possible in part by funds provided by The Jerome Foundation, The Metropolitan Regional Arts Council from an appropriation by the Minnesota Legislature, The Travelers' Arts & Diversity Employee Committee, The St. Joan of Arc Justice Fund and many individual supporters.