Progressive Calendar 01.30.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:27:59 -0800 (PST)

1. Guatemala/film  1.30 5:30 pm
2. Vote count/film 1.30 6:45pm
3. Climate/film    1.30 time?

4. CMD         - Full frontal scrutiny
5. Jim Fuller  - Popular ignorance and the road to fascism
6. Greg Palast - One Bush left behind

--------1 of 6--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Guatemala/film 1.30 5:30 pm

Wednesday, 1/30, 5:30 pm, film "Killer's Paradise" about more than 2,000
women murdered in Guatemala since 1999, Humphrey Center, U of M, 301 -
19th Ave S, Mpls.  http://www.hhh.umn.edu

--------2 of 6--------

From: Jennifer J. Thomas <jjthomas [at] skypoint.com>
Subject: Vote count/film 1.30 6:45pm

Wednesday, January 30, 6:45 pm
Riverview Theater 3800 42nd Ave S Minneapolis, MN 55406 (E 38th St and 42nd
Ave S) 612-729-7369

UNCOUNTED: The New Math of American Elections

Minnesota theatrical premier of a riveting new documentary on the
vulnerability of U.S. Elections featuring a Q&A with Emmy Award winning
filmmaker, David Earnhardt, after the film.  Find out if your vote will
count in 2008 - invite your friends!  Hosted by Citizens for Election
Integrity Minnesota  <outbind://301/www.ceimn.org> www.ceimn.org with the
Voting Rights Working Group of Minnesota Unitarian Universalist Social
Justice Alliance (MUUSJA)  <outbind://301/www.muusja.org> www.muusja.org.
Doors open at 6:15pm. Film is 80 minutes; Q&A will follow. FFI: Contact
Jennifer Thomas, Jennifer [at] ceimn.org or 612-920-2653.  Tickets $8 ($5 for
students and limited income) .

More about the film [if space]: Computer programmers, statisticians,
journalists, and election officials provide compelling evidence - along
with eyewitness accounts from whistleblowers - documenting how Jim Crow
tactics, electronic voting machine security breaches, an alarming number
of undervotes and allegedly illegal behavior by a voting machine vendor,
all threaten the very core of our democracy - the vote. Uncounted was
honored with the Official Gold Circle Screening at the Sacremento Film &
Music Festival.  Discussion with David Earnhardt (Filmmaker), Mark
Halvorson (Director, CEIMN) and Mai Thor (MN Disability Law Center).

----

NIck Coleman: Every vote counts - unless, of course, it doesn't
NICK COLEMAN, Star Tribune

Barack Obama's coming Saturday, John Edwards is in town tonight, Mike
Huckabee's wife was here Monday, and the governor of Minnesota has been
following John McCain around like a puppy following the Big Dog.

Yes, it's an election year. Political pulses are pounding.

But the Nov. 4 election may do more than choose a president. It may also
decide whether we can still trust democracy, after two elections marked by
vote-tampering and fraud.

It will help if we can believe our votes count this time.

That is what it's supposed to be about. One person, one vote is the
democratic ideal. But over the past few elections, we've learned hard
lessons: Millions of voters can be kept out of the equation -- by keeping
them from the polls, by under-counting ballots or even changing the vote
totals.

It can happen here. It has.

But will the vote-counting scandals and controversies of the past two
elections happen again next fall? That's the question asked in a new
documentary film that will be shown Wednesday night at the Riverview
Theater in Minneapolis. Called "Uncounted," the documentary is a
disturbing look at the weaknesses in our system of counting ballots, which
allow manipulation of the outcome and corruption of the very idea of a
democracy.

"I used to take for granted that our system was sound," said Mark
Halvorson, director of Citizens for Election Integrity Minnesota, a
nonpartisan group that advocates for verifiable elections and is
sponsoring the film (for more information, see www.ceimn.org). "Then I
went to Ohio in 2004.

"That was very eye-opening."

Halvorson, 52, quit his job as a social worker to begin working full time
to help make elections open and accurate after observing the "laundry
list" of problems that disrupted voting in Ohio in the 2004 election. So
many people were unable to vote due to equipment or polling place
problems, and so many who managed to cast ballots did not have their votes
recorded, that Ohio -- which was won by George Bush and helped secure his
reelection -- is the model for what can go wrong. And will go wrong,
unless citizens are vigilant.

Although the film focuses on questions about Bush's 2000 victory in
Florida and his 2004 win in Ohio, Halvorson says the issue is larger than
who has partisan advantage.

"Problems with voting systems cut across party lines," said Halvorson.
"This is not about which party wins. It's about making sure the losers can
be confident that they lost, in a fair and verifiable manner. That's about
safeguarding the integrity of the system."

David Earnhardt, the Nashville film producer who spent three years making
"Uncounted," said he wanted "to give as much evidence as I could, in an
80-minute film, to connect the dots a bit and show the many different ways
election results can be manipulated. We have the 2008 election coming up,
so the more aware the people are, the more difficult it makes it to pull
these shenanigans."

Republicans have as big a stake as Democrats.

"In recent years, Republicans have been the ones in the best position to
benefit from manipulating election results," Earnhardt said. "But they
should flip it around and ask themselves if they want to be in that
position with the Democrats in power. This is totally nonpartisan. It's a
moral issue -- we were raised to believe that our vote is the essence of
our freedom-loving democracy. If our votes don't count, it makes Americans
mad. All Americans."

Or, as Rep. Jim Cooper, D-Tenn., says in the film:

"If you don't know that your vote is counted, and counted fairly, then we
have no democracy. It becomes rule by a small group of elite insiders who
manipulate what looks like a democracy for their own advantage. They're
happy with the way it is right now. ... They get to rule, instead of the
will of the people."

Minnesota vote-counting practices are solid. But voters in 14 states will
vote on touch-screen machines that keep no certifiable record of the
votes. What voters can do to help, Halvorson says, is to volunteer to be
election judges and observers of post-election audits, to make sure
official totals are correct.

"This is in the interest of every citizen and candidate," he says. "Way
too much has been taken for granted."

("Uncounted" will be shown at 6:45 pm. Wednesday at the Riverview Theater,
3800 42nd Ave. S. Tickets are $8 ($5 for students and seniors). The film
will be followed by a discussion with producer David Earnhardt. For more
information, go to www.uncountedthemovie.com.)

Nick Coleman - ncoleman [at] startribune.com

--------3 of 6--------

From: Carol Greenwood <carolgwood [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Climate/film 1.30 time?

FREE SCREENING AT BELL AUDITORIUM
On Wednesday night we will host a screening of a live webcast from FTN
headquarters featuring nationally recognized scientific researchers and
climate experts, as well as actor Edward Norton.  Following the
screening we'll have a panel discussion about local climate change
solutions.
www.bellmuseum.org/prog_2008focus.html