Progressive Calendar 01.08.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 06:23:01 -0800 (PST)

1. Court watch      1.08 9am
2. Rovics/CTV       1.08 5pm
3. AAUW/film/eat    1.08 5pm
4. Human rights     1.08 5:30pm
5. GLBT homeless    1.08 6pm
6. Arabic classes   1.08 6pm
7. Salon free4all   1.08 6:30pm
8. MN 911 truth     1.08 7pm
9. TACSR/stadium    1.08 7pm

10. Heat shutoff    1.09 11am
11. Women/elections 1.09 12noon
12. Uptown NOW      1.09 5:30pm
13. Green Party     1.09 6pm
14. Immigrat/judges 1.09 6pm
15. AI StPaul       1.09 7:30pm

16. John Blair   - Creeping fascism in Indiana
17. James Petras - Venezuela: euphemisms of the liberal opposition
18. CUAPB        - Twin City police brutality
19. ed           - bumpersticker

--------1 of 19--------

From: Michelle Gross <mgresist [at] minn.net>
Subject: Court watch 1.08 9am

CUAPB EMAIL NEWSLETTER
Communities United Against Police Brutality
EMAIL NEWSLETTER
January 7, 2008

GREAT COURTWATCH OPPORTUNITY: DEMETRIUS COOPER CASE
Demetrius Cooper Civil Trial
January 8 onward
9:00 a.m.
Hennepin County Government Center, Minneapolis

Demetrius Cooper's case is finally going to court.  To remind you about
the case, Demetrius was driving on I-694.  Minneapolis police were chasing
another vehicle and that vehicle crashed into Demetrius' car.  He pulled
off at the next exit and was getting out to inspect the damages when he
heard Minneapolis cop William Woodis say, "get your f*cking hands in the
air or I'll kill you."  Woodis dragged him out of the car and kneed him in
the stomach.  Woodis was then joined by approximately 30 cops who slammed
him to the ground - smashing his teeth - and stomped and Tased him many
times.  When he asked an officer on the scene "why did they do this to
me?" the reply was "you were fleeing." He was taken to jail and held for
36 hours.  Besides arresting him and impounding his car, one of the
officers on the scene stole money from Demetrius.  Later, cops found the
person they were actually chasing - a woman - and they also beat her.

Demetrius is trying to get some measure of justice for his injuries and
false arrest.  His case against Minneapolis goes to civil trial this week
and he would love to have some court support.  The trial promises to be
very interesting.  For our newsletter readers who live in the northern
suburbs, Demetrius is also suing Spring Lake Park cop Randy Brown, who
Tased him repeatedly.  That case starts in the Anoka County Courthouse on
January 14th at 9:00 a.m.

--------2 of 19--------

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: Rovics/CTV 1.08 5pm

Sainted St. Paul Neighborhood Network (SPNN 15) viewers:

"Our World In Depth" cablecasts in St. Paul on Tuesday evenings at 5pm and
midnight and Wednesday mornings at 10am.  All households with basic cable
may watch.

1/8 5pm and midnight and 1/9 10am "David Rovics in Concert: Haliburton
Boardroom Massacre Tour (Part 1)".  The musical voice of Democracy Now! (a
repeat)

--------3 of 19--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: AAUW/film/eat 1.08 5pm

Tuesday, January 8: American Association of University Women Minneapolis
Branch. 5 PM: Social. 5:15 PM. Film: Weapons of the Spirit. 6 PM. Dinner.
7 PM: Film continues. 2115 Stevens Avenue, Minneapolis.

--------4 of 19--------

From: Dara Syrkin <dsyrkin [at] loft.org>
Subject: Human rights 1.08 5:30pm

Tuesday, January 8, 5:30 p.m.
HAPPY HOUR BOOK CLUB
RAKING THROUGH BOOKS

Wing Young Huie: Looking for Asian America
David Parker: Before Their Time; The World of Child Labor
Biloine W. Young: My Heart It is Delicious; The Story of the Center for
International Health

January's Raking Through Books explores human rights, activism, the power
of story, and determination of spirit.  Celebrate the written word
accompanied by photos and illustrations.  Three authors tell of their work
here and around the globe, talk about the writing life, and share their
insights on social justice. An evening not to be missed.

January's Raking Through Books also introduces The Book Swap.  Bring a
book, take a book; talk to other readers.

This event offers readers the chance to discuss literature with writers
and each other in a super-casual setting.  Free appetizers.
Cosponsored by the Loft, The Rake magazine, Kieran's Irish Pub, University
of MN Book Store, Peace Coffee, and KFAI Radio

Kieran's Irish Pub, 330 2nd Avenue South, Minneapolis
More information: www.loft.org
Free

--------5 of 19--------

From: hosthome [at] avenuesforyouth.org
Subject: GLBT homeless 1.08 6pm

GLBT Host Home Program Informational Meetings

On any given night in Minnesota, there are 204-215 GLBT youth (21 and
under) who are homeless.  (Wilder Research 2006)

One of the ways that the Twin Cities' community is addressing this problem
is through the GLBT Host Home Program of Avenues for Homeless Youth, which
offers an exciting approach to providing homeless gay, lesbian, bisexual,
and transgender youth with safe homes. As volunteers of the program,
adults open their homes and their hearts to young people who need and are
looking for a healthy and nurturing connection.  If you are interested in
hearing more about this community-based program, please come to one of the
following informational meetings:

Tuesday, January 8, 6-8pm
@ Midtown YWCA
2121 East Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55407
www.ywca-minneapolis.org
 OR
Wednesday, January 9, 6-8pm
@ Family and Children's Service
4123 East Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55406-2028
www.fcsmn.org
 OR
Thursday, January 10, 6-8pm
@ Avenues for Homeless Youth
1708 Oak Park Ave. N.
Minneapolis, MN 55411
www.avenuesforyouth.org

Come learn about the history of the GLBT Host Home Program and about the
application and screening process for potential volunteers. You will
also have an opportunity to hear from hosts who shared their homes with
youth.  See you there!

Questions?  Call Raquel (Rocki) at Avenues for Homeless Youth:
612-522-1690, ext. 110.

--------6 of 19--------

From: Mizna  <mizna-announce [at] mizna.org>
Subject: Arabic classes 1.08 6pm

Arabic Classes at Mizna begin next week!  There are still a few spaces
left.  All classes take place in our Northeast Minneapolis location.  Go
here to register:  http://www.mizna.org/classes/index.html

Arabic Language for Beginners
Instructor: Antoine Mefleh
Max Class Size: 12
Teenagers - Adult

Tuesdays, Jan. 8 - March 25, 2008 (12 weeks)
6 - 7:30 pm

The beginning Arabic class focuses on developing basic communication
skills in Arabic. Students will learn Classic Fousha Arabic, standard
vocabulary and grammar, and colloquial dialect. Although all four areas of
language learning will be covered in class (i.e. speaking, listening,
reading and writing), the focus of the Arabic class will center on
developing speaking and listening abilities with the purpose of engaging
in a basic conversation in Arabic. By the end of the course students will
have the confidence to greet people, describe and discuss their
environment, communicate emotions and feelings, and talk about general
situations. Instructor will provide all class materials.

---
Arabic Language II
Instructor: Antoine Mefleh
Max Class Size: 12
Teenagers - Adult

Tuesdays, Jan. 8 - March 25, 2008 (12 weeks)
7:30 - 9 pm

Arabic Language II is for students with a basic introductory knowledge of
Arabic and designed to continue to develop skills in spoken and written
language. Students will work with the instructor and other classmates in
practicing their knowledge of both spoken and written Arabic through in
class exercises as well as written materials. All materials provided by
instructor.

---
Arabic Language III
Instructor: Antoine Mefleh
Max Class Size: 12
Teenagers - Adult

Thursdays, Jan. 10 - March 27, 2008 (12 weeks)
6 - 7:30 pm

Arabic Language III is designed for those students who have had background
in Arabic language study and would like to continue to develop their
skills in reading, writing and speaking. Students will work with
instructor in intense study to develop their language abilities.
Instructor will provide all class materials.

---
Arabic Language IV
Instructor: Antoine Mefleh
Max Class Size: 12
Teenagers - Adult

Thursdays, Jan. 10 - March 27, 2008 (12 weeks)
7:30 - 9 pm

Arabic Language IV is a continued advance course for students who want to
further develop their skills in the written and spoken language.

Go here to register:
http://www.mizna.org/classes/index.html

Mizna is a forum for Arab American art.  Visit our website at
http://www.mizna.org

--------7 of 19--------

From: patty <pattypax [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: Salon free4all 1.08 6:30pm

Hi,  Back again for another year.
For next week, Jan.8 , 2008,  the topic is Open Discussion,.   Lots to
share so please come.

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: MN 911 truth 1.08 7pm

Next MN 9/11 Truth meeting

January 8th, 7 pm generally until 9 pm
Lori's Coffeehouse (meeting is between the two businesses)
1441 N. Cleveland Ave
St. Paul, MN
Across from St. Paul U of M campus

We would like to have new faces so come see what the 9/11 Truth Movement
is about and what we are doing in Minnesota. We also encourage you to
patronize the businesses, a middle eastern dinner or the coffee shop.
Good food!  Not mandatory, just encouraged.

Helps if you can RSVP back to this address.

--------9 of 19--------

From: Ron Holch <rrholch [at] attg.net>
Subject: TACSR/stadium 1.08 7pm

Taxpayers For an Anoka County Stadium Referendum
Tuesday January 8, at 7pm
The remaining months we will meet the Second Tuesday of every month.

LOCATION:               Centennial High School
                        Red Building - Room 104
                        4704 North Road
                        Circle Pines, MN
The red building is on the east end of the high school complex, and is set
back furthest from North Road.  Enter on the East side of the building.
The largest parking lots are near this building.

The most recent news is that leading State legislators and the Governor