Progressive Calendar 01.06.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 10:51:40 -0800 (PST)

1. Stillwater vigil 1.06 1pm
2. Womens art recep 1.06 1pm
3. Health ins/AM950 1.06 3pm
4. KFAIs Indian     1.06 7pm

5. Jesus/Gitmo/play 1.07 6:30pm
6. uhcan-mn health  1.07 7pm

7. Robert Fantina  - Iowa, Democrats and the Iraq War
8. Missy Beattie   - Why Obama can't save us
9. Dave Lindorff   - DLC myths exposed as frauds; Clinton's Iowa flop
10. Allan Nairn    - US elections over before they began
11. PC Roberts     - Thinking for yourself is now a crime
12. Juan Santos    - The face of fascism: review of Naomi Klein
13. ed             - bumpersticker 3
14. ed             - Mafia/elite  poem

--------1 of 14-------

From: scot b <earthmannow [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Stillwater vigil 1.06 1pm

[For less information, forget some of the above. -ed]

--------2 of 14--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Women's art recep 1.06 1pm

Jean Leuthner and Zannah Martin, Nostalgia and Equity
A WARM Works Event
AMAZON BOOKS
4755 Chicago Ave. So.

January 2-30 in the downstairs gallery
pening Reception: Sunday, January 6, 1-3pm

What connects us? What separates us? How can we feel closer to one
another, our shared environment, and/or our collective past? These are
among the questions being asked by the artists exhibiting at Amazon this
January. Halfway through their 2007-2008 WARM mentorship cycle, these two
proteges give us food for thought during this giving season and into a new
year: the beauty and inherent difficulties of the dynamics within family
life, current issues surrounding affordable housing, and a look at means
to view the world differently - to better care for (and share) the limited
resources provided by the environment.

Using a shoebox of black and white family photos as inspiration, Jean
Leuthner shares some of her family history with us - times in which
"difficult problems were punctuated by beautiful, happy moments."
Leuthner's brightly colored, timeless and universal imagery resonates with
viewers - as we are inspired to relive or revisit the various family
scenes which line the walls of our subconscious.

Zannah Martin has used an array of multiple media in her narrative work
which has covered a broad range of subjects concerning tragic events and
issues of equity. Through her work, Martin contemplates what connects or
separates us, and what barriers prevent us from being our best selves. Her
statements are made through her use of bold colors and provocative
imagery; they hold the same power to challenge us as do the words of the
most passionate of activists.

--------3 of 14--------

From: Don Pylkkanen <don [at] coact.org>
Subject: Health ins/AM950 1.06 3pm

Got health coverage? Can you afford it?

The sad truth is that most of us Minnesotans can no longer afford health
insurance, and care is no longer guaranteed by our health plans when we
need it.

How Minnesota got into the health care mess, and how proposed legislation,
called the Minnesota Health Act, will get us out of it, will begin to be
aired in a series of broadcasts on Air America's Of the People, AM 950,
this Sunday afternoon, January 6, 3 PM.

The Minnesota Universal Health Care Coalition initiated the Minnesota
Health Act and will be the focus of the series. The Coalition is a group
of leading civic groups, unions, and health professionals working for
single-payer health care for all Minnesotans.

The Health Act is authored by Senator John Marty and Representative Ken
Tschumper, and 55 legislators signed on as co-authors. The Health Act
creates the Health Plan, which guarantees full coverage of all necessary
care with no high premiums, no co-pays, no high deductibles, no denial of
care, and guaranteed choice of providers.

Health system analyst Kip Sullivan will begin the series this Sunday by
explaining why a single-payer system is the only solution to the health
care crisis and how it compares to competing proposals.

Host James Mayer will get in as much phone time with callers as possible.
Call 952-946-6205.

Subsequent series broadcasts, continuing Sunday, January 27, and into
February, will have members of the Health Care Coalition explain the
Health Act, along with its co-authors, and how listeners can help get it
enacted, beginning with calling their legislators.

You can also stream the program, as long as you can put in a MN zip code, by
going to  <http://www.airamericaminnesota.com/listen>
http://www.airamericaminnesota.com/listen

--------4 of 14-------

From: Chris Spotted Eagle <chris [at] spottedeagle.org>
Subject: KFAIs Indian 1.06 7pm

KFAI¹s Indian uprising for January 6, 2008 from 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. CDT

American Indian Opportunities Industrialization Center (AIOIC), Minneapolis,
is a non-profit corporation with a mission to empower American Indians and
people from all other races to pursue career opportunities. "We are
passionate about bringing positive changes to the lives of the people we
meet. This passion has driven us to create programs to provide opportunities
to individuals - to become independent, self-sufficient, and productive -
and change their lives."  Mission: To empower American Indians to pursue
career opportunities by providing individualized Education, Training, and
Employment Services in a culturally sensitive environment. www.aioic.org.

In 1964, Reverend Sullivan founded Opportunities Industrialization Centers
(OIC) of America in an abandoned jail house in North Philadelphia. The
program took individuals with little hope and few prospects and offered them
job training and instruction in life skills and then helped place them into
jobs. The movement quickly spread around the nation. With sixty (60)
affiliated programs in thirty (30) states and the District of Columbia, OIC
has grown into a movement, which has served over two (2) million
disadvantaged and under-skilled people. This approach also led to the
formation of the Opportunities Industrialization Centers International
(OICI) in 1969. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Sullivan

Program guests are:
Dr. Lee Antell (White Earth Ojibwe), Executive Director, American Indian OIC
Annessia Swann (Piscataway People), Program Director, In-An-Da-We (to climb
to a higher place - Ojibwe), AIOIC

* * * *
Indian Uprising a one-hour Public & Cultural Affairs program is for and by
Native Indigenous People broadcast each Sunday at 7:00 p.m. CDT on KFAI 90.3
FM Minneapolis and 106.7 FM St. Paul.  Producer and host is volunteer Chris
Spotted Eagle. KFAI Fresh Air Radio is located at 1808 Riverside Avenue,
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55454, 612-341-3144.

For internet listening, go to www.kfai.org <http://www.kfai.org>  and for
live listening, click Play under ON AIR NOW or for later listening via the
archives, click PROGRAMS & SCHEDULE > Indian Uprising > STREAM.  Programs
are archived for two weeks.