Progressive Calendar 09.07.07
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 17:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
             P R O G R E S S I V E   C A L E N D A R     09.07.07

1. End child abuse 9.08 8am
2. Palestine       9.08 9:30am
3. Venezuela       9.08 10am
4. Steger/Iraq     9.08 11am GrandRapids MN
5. NWN4PMinnetonka 9.08 11am
6. UofM strike     9.08 1pm
7. Steger/Iraq     9.08 7pm Morris MN
8. Labor/Rachleff  9.08 9pm
9. Flood relief    9.08

10. Stillwtr vigil 9.09 1pm
11. YAWR/walkout   9.09 4pm
12. Vets4Peace     9.09 6pm
13. Robert Jensen  9.09 7:30pm [3pm?]

14. Barbara Ehrenreich - Travails of the super-rich

--------1 of 14--------

From: Lisa Edstrom <lisaedstrom [at] comcast.net>
Subject: End child abuse 9.08 8am

PREVENT CHILD ABUSE MINNESOTA TO HOST 7TH ANNUAL WALK/RUN FOR CHILDREN TO
END CHILD ABUSE

Hundreds of runners and walkers of all ages will join family, friends, and
other teams for the Walk/Run for Children to End Child Abuse 2007 on
Saturday, September 8 at 8:00 a.m. at the Saint Paul Saints Midway Stadium
in Saint Paul, Minnesota to support Prevent Child Abuse Minnesota (PCAMN).
For the first time, a 5k run will be added to the event as well as a kid's
dash and a mini baseball clinic. Along with the run and walk, participants
will enjoy family activities, refreshments, an opportunity to meet local
team mascots, a music concert, and special prizes.  Following is the event
schedule:

7:00 a.m.  Registration begins
8:00 a.m.  5K Run beginsImmediately after the 5K Run - Kids Dash (ages 8
            and under)
9:00 a.m.  Mini Baseball clinic
10:00 a.m.  1.5 Mile Walk begins
11:00 a.m.  Program and Prizes
12:00 p.m.  Music Concert

Walk/Run for Children to End Child Abuse 2007 sponsors include Wells Fargo
and Clear Channel radio stations KDWB, K102, Cities 97, KFAN, KOOL 108,
Score 690, and KTLK.  For more information about the event, contact Connie
Skillingstad (651) 523-0099 ext. 117 or visit www.pcamn.org. For volunteer
opportunities, contact David Gonzalez at (651) 523-0099.

Established in 1979, Prevent Child Abuse Minnesota (PCAMN) is an
independent, not-for-profit organization that provides child abuse and
neglect prevention efforts to Minnesota families and to child abuse
prevention workers and volunteers in our state. A mainstay of its efforts
is a network of parent and child support groups (called Circle of
Parents), a service it has provided to Minnesota families since its
inception. PCAMN also hosts the 1-800-CHILDREN help line, publishes and
distributes parenting and abuse prevention materials, and produces child
abuse and neglect prevention training programs year round, including
Minnesota's annual child abuse prevention conference each April.

--------2 of 14--------

From: "wamm [at] mtn.org" <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Palestine 9.08 9:30am

"Fractured Palestine" Ziad Amra
Saturday, September 8, 9:30 a.m. (Refreshments) 10:00 a.m. (Presentation)
Hennepin County Southdale Library, 7001 York Avenue South, Edina.

What are the implications of the Fatah-Hamas split? Of U.S. and Israeli
funds going only to Fatah and West Bank residents? How will Gaza endure
the sanctions and continuing incursions by Israel? What are best and worst
future scenarios? These questions will be discussed by Ziad Amra, a
Minneapolis attorney with U.S. Bank. Ziad has ties to Palestine and is
active with the Coalition for Palestinian Rights. Sponsored by: Middle
East Peace Now (MEPN). FFI: Call Florence Steichen, 651-696-1642.

--------3 of 14--------

From: Joan Malerich <joanmdm [at] iphouse.com>
Subject: Venezuela 9.08 10am

Venezuela
September 8 from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon
1304 University Ave. NE, Suite 200, in Minneapolis)

Join Twin Cities Hands Off Venezuela <http://www.ushov.org> and Kellie
Germond for a presentation and discussion of her new documentary on
community development and an organic-agro cooperative in Venezuela. This
event was formerly scheduled as a Coffee Hour at the Resource Center of
the Americas <http://www.americas.org/>. However, due to the unfortunate
closing of the RCA, this *event will now be presented at the offices of
Hands Off Venezuela (1304 University Ave. NE, Suite 200, in Minneapolis)*.
$2 to $4 donation suggested, no one turned away at the door for lack of
funds.

Coffee will be provided by Equal Exchange
<http://www.equalexchange.com/>.

--------4 of 14--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Steger/Iraq 9.08 11am GrandRapids MN

Saturday, 9/8, 11 am, Phil Steger speaks on "Leaving Iraq Now: Why It's the
Best Chance for Peace and Why September Is Our Best Chance to Make It
Happen," St Joseph's Catholic Church, 315 SW 21st St, Grand Rapids.
http://www.peaceintheprecincts.org or 651-917-0383.

--------5 of 14--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: NWN4P Minnetonka 9.08 11am

NWN4P-Minnetonka demonstration- Every Saturday, 11 AM to noon, at Hwy. 7
and 101.  Park in the Target Greatland lot; meet near the
fountain. We will walk along the public sidewalk. Signs available.

--------6 of 14--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: UofM strike 9.08 1pm

A People's Conference
Rethinking the University of Minnesota in a moment of crisis
Held in solidarity with striking U of M workers, at the AFSCME strike
headquarters

SATURDAY, Sept. 8
1pm - 7pm
@ Strike Headquarters - University Baptist Church (13th Ave & University
Ave, Dinkytown)

Featuring three panel discussions with faculty, union activists,
students, and community organizers
More info at: http://peoplesconference.googlepages.com/

ALSO Saturday, 10am: Community/Labor Strike Support Committee Meeting
We'll meet as usual this Saturday at 10am at Strike Headquarters,
University Baptist Church (13th Ave & University Ave, Dinkytown)

--------7 of 14--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Steger/Iraq 9.08 7pm Morris MN

Saturday, 9/8, 7 pm, Phil Steger speaks on "Leaving Iraq Now: Why It's the
Best Chance for Peace and Why September Is Our Best Chance to Make It
Happen," Morris at U of M, Morris  http://www.peaceintheprecincts.org or
651-917-0383.

--------8 of 14--------

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: Labor/Rachleff 9.08 9pm

Revered Minneapolis Television Network (MTN 17) viewers:
"Our World In Depth" cablecasts on MTN Channel 17 on Saturdays at 9pm and
Tuesdays at 8am.  Households with basic cable can watch!

9/8 9pm and 9/11 8am "Labor's Past, Labor's Present, Labor's Future".
Interview of Peter Rachleff, labor historian and professor at Macalester
College.  Hosted by Karen Redleaf.

---------9 of 14---------

From: tom [at] organicconsumers.org
Subject: Flood relief 9.08

Help the flood stricken farmers in SE MN and have a great meal to boot!

GO OUT TO EAT this Saturday September 8th for ONE BIG NIGHT OUT!  Many
wonderful restaurants including Birchwood Cafe, Corner Table, Muffuletta
on the Park, Lucia's , Heartland, Craftsman , Brassa, Spoon River,
Signature Cafe (go to www.slowfoodmn.org <http://www.slowfoodmn.org/> for
a complete listing) will be donating a portion of that evening's proceeds
to help the FLOOD RELIEF efforts for our SE Minnesota farmer's and their
communities. ONE BIG NIGHT OUT donations will go directly to Winona
Chapter of the Red Cross or Sow the Seeds Fund.

From: Monique Askew <monique [at] commonrootscafe.com>

Local Cafe Holds Event to Help Flooded Farmers of Southern Minnesota

Minnesota and western Wisconsin farms, Common Roots Café, Uptown's
newest eatery, holds a festive fundraising event this Saturday, September
8 from 6 p.m. to midnight. All sales from the evening will be donated to
the Sow the Seeds Fund, an organization that assists sustainable food
systems.

Come by the cafe this Saturday to enjoy:
   Wine tasting with Etica Fair Trade wine, 7 to 9 p.m.
   A lively vegetable raffle with Minnesota-grown produce
   A cake raffle
   Dinner specials
   Common Roots Cafe's signature bagels, soups, sandwiches, salads, and
   desserts - all made from scratch with local ingredients. Plus, choose from a
   selection of five locally-brewed and organic tap beers.
   A raffle and free coffee tasting with Peace Coffee and the Sow the
   Seeds Blend, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Saturday's event is being held in congruence with Sow the Seeds' One Big
Night Out, taking place at restaurants throughout the Twin Cities. For
all restaurant participants, visit www.sowtheseedsfund.org.

Please contact Common Roots owner Danny Schwartzman at 612-871-2360 or
e-mail danny [at] commonrootscafe.com for more information.

--------10 of 14--------

From: scot b <earthmannow [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Stillwater vigil 9.09 1pm

A weekly Vigil for Peace Every Sunday, at the Stillwater bridge from 1- 2
p.m.  Come after Church or after brunch ! All are invited to join in song
and witness to the human desire for peace in our world. Signs need to be
positive.  Sponsored by the St. Croix Valley Peacemakers.

If you have a United Nations flag or a United States flag please bring it.
Be sure to dress for the weather . For more information go to
<http://www.stcroixvalleypeacemakers.com/>http://www.stcroixvalleypeacemakers.com/

For more information you could call 651 275 0247 or 651 999 - 9560

--------11 of 14--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: YAWR/walkout 9.09 4pm

[YAWR] SUN.SEPT.9,4pm:WALKOUT planning@ Blue Moon Coffee Cafe

NOTE from Lydia Howell: Youth opposed to this occupation and to military
recruiters having access to students on TC high school students return to
school - and to FIGHTING LOCAL SCHOOL BOARDS. It's IMPERATIVE that ADULT
ACTIVIST/PARENTS BACK UP THESE BRAVE STUDENTS. The peace movement can be
perhaps most effective by working to slow down further the "pipeline of
soldiers" - making it harder to continue to occupy Iraq and attack Iran.
There are school borad meetings in Minneapolis and St. PauL in October and
Sept. - PEACE ACTIVISTS NEED TO BE THERE. For more information, come to
this meeting. Lydia Howell

Back to school, and back into action
YAWR metro-wide planning MEETING
Build the Nov.16 antiwar WALKOUT

SUNDAY, September 9
4pm
Blue Moon Coffee Cafe
3822 E. Lake St, Mpls - (612) 721-9230

Across the country this fall students and youth are making plans to STEP
UP THE RESISTANCE! Bush's "troop surge" has completely failed, and antiwar
anger is at all-time highs. While Congress still refuses to cut off Bush's
war money, allowing the bloody occupation to continue, its clear they are
feeling massive pressure from below to end this war. This fall, as the war
debate heats up even more, mass direction action and protest CAN MAKE A
DIFFERENCE!

Over the summer Youth Against War & Racism decided to link up with the
national "Iraq Moratorium" campaign, which is calling for "ending business
as usual" every third Friday of the month starting in September. We
decided to join this national call and build for a major region-wide
student walkout on November 16th, the third Moratorium day.  We have high
hopes that this walkout will be big, bringing thousands out of the
classrooms and into the streets against the war and against military
recruitment.

However, to make this mass action as large, powerful, and creative as
possible, we need many diverse youth voices to come together. This will be
the first real planning meeting of the school year, so we hope you can
make it to work out specific plans.

If you can't make the meeting but want to be involved in planning or
organizing at your school, please email against.war [at] gmail.com
<mailto:against.war [at] gmail.com> and tell us your school, phone, and
address. Also, let us know any concerns, problems, or creative ideas you
have for the walkout, so we can take that into account.

Peace and Solidarity, Ty Moore

P.S. Exciting news! Starting tomorrow, we have a new full staff organizer
for Youth Against War & Racism, thanks to a grant from Headwaters
Foundation and Resist, Inc. Tyrus Thompson graduated from Mahtomedi High
this year, where he was active with YAWR since 2005. If you want to get in
touch with YAWR, give Tyrus a call at 651-210-5342.

--------12 of 14--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Vets4Peace 9.09 6pm

Sunday, 9/9, 6 pm (and the 2nd Sunday of each month), Veterans for Peace
chapter 27 meeting, St Stephens School basement, 2130 Clinton Ave S, Mpls.
waynewittman [at] msn.com

--------13 of 14--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Robert Jensen 9.09 7:30pm [3pm? Better check]

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 7:30pm
ROBERT JENSEN, author WITH IHS NEW BOOK "Getting Off: Pornogrpahy &
the End of Masculinity" by SOUTH END PRESS.Robert Jensen is a journalism
professor at the University of Texas at Austin and board member of the
Third Coast Activist Resource Center http://thirdcoastactivist.org. His
latest book is Getting Off: Pornography and the End of Masculinity (South
End Press, 2007). Jensen is also the author of The Heart of Whiteness:
Race, Racism, and White Privilege and Citizens of the Empire: The Struggle
to Claim Our Humanity (both from City Lights Books); and Writing Dissent:
Taking Radical Ideas from the Margins to the Mainstream (Peter Lang). He
can be reached at rjensen [at] uts.cc.utexas.edu and his articles can be found
online at http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~rjensen/index.html.

Sunday,Sept.9, 7:30PM
MAGERS AND QUINN BOOKSELLERS
3038 HENNEPIN AVENUE SOUTH
MINNEAPOLIS MN 55408
612-822-4611
www.magersandquinn.com

--------14 of 14--------

Travails of the Super-Rich
by Barbara Ehrenreich
The Nation

On Labor Day we customarily give a nod to America's underpaid and
overworked blue- and pink-collar workers - janitors, flight attendants,
forklift operators and the like. But this year let's go a step further and
salute the most reviled and despised of the people who make our economy
happen, the mere mention of whom causes the average forklift operator to
spit on the floor. You are thinking, perhaps, of telemarketers, human
traffickers and the fiends who answer the phone when you to try to make a
claim on your health insurance. But I'm talking about our CEOs.

Just in time for the holiday, two liberal groups - United for a Fair
Economy and the Institute for Policy Studies - have issued a gleefully
malicious new attack on our CEO class. They point out that the CEOs of
large companies earn an average of $10.8 million a year, which is 362
times as much as the average American worker, and retire with $10.1
million in their exclusive pension funds. The groups further point out
that the compensation of US CEOs wildly exceeds that of their European
counterparts, who, we are invited to believe, work equally hard.

And, in what they must think is their cleverest point of all, the UFE/IPS
folks state: "The 20 highest-paid individuals at publicly traded
corporations last year took home, on average, $36.4 million. That's...204
times more than the 20 highest-paid generals in the U.S. military." You
know what we're supposed to think here: Wow, but generals have all that
responsibility! They're responsible for national security, or at least for
conducting the wars that increase the threats to our national security and
thus help justify ever greater increases in our national security
apparatus!

But someone has to speak up for our beleaguered CEO class, and let me
begin with that spurious comparison to the top military brass. Could we
put patriotic emotion aside for a moment and look at this in a hardheaded,
bottom-line sort of way?

Suppose you are the general responsible for all the service people in
Iraq, about 130,000, and suppose you manage to lose every single one of
them in some ghastly miscalculation. With the death benefit for the family
of one dead soldier running at $100,000 (according to Iraq and Afghanistan
Veterans Against the War) your mistake will cost a total of $13 billion.
Sounds like a lot, I know, until you consider that a hedge fund manager or
financial company CEO can lose that much in a single afternoon, without
anyone even noticing. There is simply no comparison between a general and
a CEO.

That's a side issue, though. The real point, which the CEOs and their
usual defenders are strangely reticent to make, is that it's damn
expensive to be rich, and extravagantly expensive to be super-rich.
Before you start playing your air violins, consider the costs of
maintaining as many as five different homes, some of them as large as
45,000 square feet, most with swimming pools, tennis courts, guest
houses and wine cellars requiring constant supervision.

The poor whine about having no home at all, or maybe a two-bedroom
apartment for a family of six. They should just think for one moment of
the tribulations involved in running four or more mansions, each with
its own full-time staff. There's the problem of getting between them,
for example. A friend of mine, of very modest means himself, consults
for a billionaire couple who commute between London and Los Angeles by
private jet, with their dogs following in a second private jet.

But much of what we know about the extreme costs of wealth comes from Wall
Street Journal columnist Robert Frank's recent book Richistan. The
ultra-rich, drawn largely from the CEO class, require staffs of about
forty to fifty people, including not only cooks, maids and nannies but
"lifestyle managers" (to set up the entertainment schedule) and - in a
throwback to the original Gilded Age - butlers. It's the butler's job,
among other things, to deal with any issues that may arise from the
proliferation of homes. For example, if the boss is in Palm Beach, Frank
reports, "and wants to send his jet to New York to pick up a Chateau
LaTour from his South Hampton cellar, the butler makes it happen, no
questions asked."

Nor are the ultra-rich in a position to cut back on their expenses -  by,
say, running down to the supermarket for a $12 bottle of Chardonnay. If
they were to do so, their friends would despise them. As Frank explains,
the Richistani word "affluent," meaning someone with less than $10
million in assets, translates into English roughly as "scum."

A mean-spirited critic of the ultra-rich CEO class might grumble that
the rich should simply find a new circle of friends. But who exactly
might these new friends be? If you were in the $100 million-in-assets
set, you could hardly consort with the class of people for whom a
pittance like $10,000 might be a transformative sum, possibly allowing
Granny to get her insulin and the children to have warm winter clothes.
People of that class could not be trusted not to pocket the silverware
or rip out the gold fixtures in your powder room. They might even make a
lunge for your throat.

This article can be found on the web at:
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070910/ehrenreich

                     over 2225 subscribers as of 12.19.02

 To GO DIRECTLY to an item, eg
 do a find on