Progressive Calendar 07.10.07
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:51:07 -0700 (PDT)

1. Predatory lending 7.11 11am
2. Cafeteria workers 7.11 11:45pm
3. MPN4P meeting     7.11 7pm

4. Peace grannys     7.12 11am
5. NWN4P-NewHope     7.12 4:30pm
6. Eagan peace vigil 7.12 4:30pm
7. Northtown vigil   7.12 5pm
8. Cuba/health/film  7.12 6:30pm
9. Bombies/film      7.12 7pm
10. Cardboard music  7.12 7pm
11. Dept of peace    7.12 7pm
12. AntiWarMN/newMem 7.12 7pm
13. WB Av parade     7.12 7pm
14. Nader speaks/GP  7.12 Reading PA

15. LRT boondoggle   7.13 8:30am

16. Pigstock retreat 7.14 10am HagerCity WI
17. M Albert/CTV     7.14 9pm
18. Party w Greens   7.14

19. Angela Brown - Sheehan to run v Pelosi unless Bush impeachment sought
20. John Walsh   - Dems have failed; will the Greens seize the moment?
21. Doug Giebel  - Wanted: old men with nothing to lose
22. Dave Zirin   - The doming of America

--------1 of 22--------

From: Andy Driscoll <andy [at] driscollgroup.com>
Subject: Predatory lending 7.11 11am

COMING WEDNESDAY, JULY 11 @ 11:00 AM: Truth to Tell talks about Mortgage
Foreclosure Crisis and Predatory Lending with the UofM Law Schoolšs
Prentiss Cox, the MN Homeownership Centeršs Dana Snell and Larry Moloney
of Southern MN Regional Legal Services (SMRLS). KFAI, FM 90.3 in
Minneapolis, 106.7 in St. Paul, streaming online at KFAI.org.

Andy Driscoll, Producer/Host
Truth to Tell ­ co-host: Craig Cox
Wednesdays at 11:00 AM
KFAI Radio, 90.3 Minneapolis/106.7 St. Paul

-------2 of 22--------

From: Minneapolis Central Labor Union Council <betsy [at] mplscluc.com>
Subject: Cafeteria workers 7.11 11:45pm

Thank you to all of you who have contacted Bruce Taher regarding the
UNITE/HERE capitol complex cafeteria workers' situation below.

Please get the word out that there will be a Rally on behalf of these
workers outside of the Department of Transportation (DOT) Building next
Wednesday, July 11th from 11:45am to 12:30pm.

The DOT is located at 395 John Ireland Blvd, right next to the State
Office Building across from the Capitol. There is a pay parking lot for
DOT that you can enter from Rice Street a few blocks south of University.

If you have any questions, please contact Martin at UNITE HERE Local 17 -
612-379-4730!

Three cafeterias in the State Capitol Complex (Centennial, Transportation
and 600 Buildings) have reopened today with 18 of 20 UNITE HERE Local 17
workers not on the job. They were not re-hired after decades of service by
a management firm which won a new state contract, and has rejected
workers' union contracts in its entirety. Taher, Inc., the newly hired
management firm, has said the full-time cafeteria jobs are being
down-sized to part-time and workers' health care benefits will be
eliminated.If this leaves a bad taste in your mouth, here's what you can
do to help the workers:

1. Contact Bruce Taher, CEO of Taher, Inc. at 952-945-0505 or
b.taher [at] taher.com and demand that he rehire the workers, offer real
employment and benefits, and stop busting the union.

2. Downsize Taher's profits. Bring your own lunch to the Cafeteria. And
encourage your friends to do so. Take leisurely lunches. Keep the tables
full and the cash registers as empty as possible.

3. Spread the word.

--------3 of 22--------

From: "Krista Menzel (Merriam Park Neighbors for Peace)" <web [at] mppeace.org>
Subject: MPN4P meeting 7.11 7pm

MERRIAM PARK NEIGHBORS FOR PEACE JULY MEETING
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
7:00 p.m.
Merriam Park Library - Meeting Room A
1831 Marshall Avenue (at Fairview Avenue), St. Paul

Merriam Park Neighbors for Peace usually meets the first Wednesday of each
month at 7:00 at the Merriam Park Library. In July, we're meeting on the
11th since the first Wednesday was a holiday. We've also switched to
Meeting Room A instead of Meeting Room B.

Please join us! All are welcome!

--------4 of 22--------

From: "wamm [at] mtn.org" <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Peace grannys 7.12 11am

Grandmothers for Peace: "How Much More Can You Stand?!"

Thursday, July 12, 11:00 a.m.  Peavey Plaza, Nicolette Ave., downtown
Minneapolis. Everyone welcome to join in. Wear black. Bring noisemakers.
Drumming. Demonstrate along the mall. Stop at every block. Speak out.
Proclaim the message of Troops Out of Iraq Now! Alert shoppers about need
to Get Out of Iraq Now! Grandmothers for Peace. One hour. Ends at WCCO.

--------5 of 22--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: NWN4P-NewHope 7.12 4:30pm

NWN4P-New Hope demonstration every Thursday 4:30 to 6 PM at the corner of
Winnetka and 42nd.  You may park near Walgreens or in the larger lot near
McDonalds; we will be on all four corners.  Bring your own or use our
signs.

--------6 of 22--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <skograce [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 7.12 4:30pm

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 7.12 5pm

From: Joan Malerich <joanmdm [at] iphouse.com>
Subject: Cuba/health/film 7.12 6:30pm

ĄSalud!
CUBAN HEALTH CARE DOCUMENTARY
Directed by Academy Award Nominee Connie Field
Co-Produced by Gail Reed

Showing one day only at Rondo Community Outreach Library, 461 North Dale
(University and Dale), St. Paul.
Thursday, July 12, 6:30 PM
Free parking under library and free admission.
Metro Transit Lines #16, 50, 65 (Transit Station --612-373-3333)
Sponsored by Minnesota Cuba Committee

FIND OUT WHAT PUTS CUBA ON THE MAP IN THE QUEST FOR GLOBAL HEALTH

A Timely examination of human values and the health issues that affect us
all. Some 28,000 Cuban health professionals are serving in 68 countries.
ĄSalud! Explores the hearts and minds of international medical students in
Cuba. ĄSalud! spans three continents to look at the philosophy and the
health professionals placing Cuba on the map in the worldwide movement to
make health care a global birthright.

A FILM ABOUT THE PRESSING HEALTH ISSUES THE WORLD FACES TODAY

Film opens in South Africa and travels to Venezuela, to Honduras to
Gambia.  The Gambia's Minister of Health stated: "Our infant mortality is
down, life expectancy up.  We wouldn't be able to narrate this success
without the help of the Cubans."

TRAINING HEALERS TO PROMOTE HEALTH, NOT SIMPLY TREAT DISEASE

THE FILM VISITS Cuba's Latin American School of Medicine (LASM AND/OR
ELAM) now the largest medical school in the world and includes 12,000
low-income students from 27 countries---nearly 100 from US.  The Deal:
Receive a free medical education in exchange for pledging to return to
poor communities in their own country when they graduate.

"ĄSalud! is just the kind of film we want to showcase in our festival."
Ayuko Babu, Executive Director Pan African Film Festival (PAFF), Los
Angeles) on presenting "ĄSalud! to the Audience Choice Award.

""ĄSalud! is compelling, upbeat and moving, a great tool for learning the
much there is to learn from Cuba." Paul Farmer, MD, Partners in Health and
Harvard Medical School.

For more information, trailer and reviews go to
http://www.saludthefilm.net/ns/synopsis.html