Progressive Calendar 06.27.07
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:51:08 -0700 (PDT)

1. Impeach/council   6.29 8:30am
2. Palestine vigil   6.29 4:30pm
3. IWW/introduction  6.29 5:30pm
4. Wendell Berry     6.29
5. Project Earth     6.29-30 Geneva MN

6. IRV in StPaul     6.30 10am
7. Global bike days  6.30-7.01 11am
8. NWN4P Minnetonka  6.30 11am
9. Northtown vigil   6.30 2pm
10. Bowman/9-11      6.30 6pm
11. The'60s/stories  6.30 7pm
12. Coldwater walk   6.30 7pm
13. Vs Israel?/CTV   6.30 9pm
14. Copwatch         6.30 11pm

15. Stillwater vigil 7.01 1pm
16. War of the roses 7.01 5pm
17. Indian/new time  7.01 7pm

18. Ralph Nader   - Sicko and the politics of health care
19. joel albers   - Sicko premiere: Uptown AND Lagoon
20. Demi Miller   - Sicko premiere: the impact of chanting
21. CorpCrimeRptr - Bosses, Dems & single payer: which side is Moore on?
22. M Mogulescu   - Clinton Obama & Edwards oppose single payer
23. GreenParty US - Nader to attend Green meeting in Reading PA

--------1 of 23--------

From: Minneapolis Impeach <lists [at] impeachforpeace.org>
Subject: Impeach/council 6.29 8:30am

Pressure the Minneapolis City Council to Impeach: Fri, June 29

Minneapolis citizens, it's our time.  For some time, pressure and support
have been building for our city to defend the constitution through
impeachment.  And today we're asking for your help to get us to the finish
line.  We need you to contact your City Council Member.

Current U.S. House Representative Keith Ellison spoke out in favor of
impeachment in Impeach for Peace's October rally prior to his election:
http://impeachforpeace.org/impeach_bush_blog/?p=17

He again reiterated his support after the election in April (but has so
far failed to sign on to Kucinich's H Res. 333 calling for Cheney's
impeachment): http://impeachforpeace.org/impeach_bush_blog/?p=1361

Then, Impeach for Peace diplomatically contacted each member of the
Minneapolis City Council calling on them to pass such a resolution and
subsequently received responses:
http://impeachforpeace.org/impeach_bush_blog/?p=1839

We attempted to solidify R.T. Ryback's support for impeachment:
http://impeachforpeace.org/impeach_bush_blog/?p=1841

Most recently we held a Town Hall Meeting attended by Minneapolis City
Council Members Elizabeth Glidden and Cam Gordon, as well as being a
presence at their recent City Council Meeting:
http://impeachforpeace.org/impeach_bush_blog/?p=2151

Now, it's time to seal the deal by flooding the City Council with requests
for an impeachment resolution.  Forward this email to all your friends,
and let's finish what we've started.  Below you'll find contact
information for the City Council Members as well as talking points.

Also, please consider joining us on June 29th at 8:30am when we will
again be a presence at the Minneapolis City Council Meeting:
http://impeachforpeace.org/impeach_bush_blog/?p=2172

Here is the contact info for city council people:
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/council/

WARD 1, Paul Ostrow, 612-673-2201, paul.ostrow [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
WARD 2, Cam Gordon, 612-6730-2202, cam.Gordon [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
WARD 3, Diane Hofstede, 612-673-2203, diane.hofstede [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
WARD 4, Barbara Johnson, 612-673-2204, barbara.johnson [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
WARD 5, Don Samuels, 612-673-2205, don.samuels [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
WARD 6, Robert Lilligren, 612-673-2206,
robert.lilligren [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
WARD 7, Lisa Goodman, 612-673-2207,
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/contact/email-form-goodman.asp
WARD 8, Elizabeth Glidden, 612-673-2208,
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/contact/email-form-glidden.asp
WARD 9, Gary Shiff, 612-673-2209,
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/contact/email-form-schiff.asp
WARD 10, Ralph Remington, 612-673-2210,
ralph.remington [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
WARD 11, Scott Benson, 612-673-2211, scott.benson [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
WARD 12, Sandy Colvin Ray, 612-673-2212,
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/contact/email-form-roy.asp
WARD 13, Betsy Hodges, 612-673-2213,
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/contact/email-form-hodges.asp

We also need organizations and businesses to sign a letter of support for
the Impeachment resolution. They can be mailed to:
City Hall
ATTN: Minneapolis City Council
350 S. 5th St.
Rm #307
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Reasons for impeachment:
http://impeachforpeace.org/evidence/

A copy of the impeachment resolution we're suggesting is here:
http://impeachforpeace.org/impeach_bush_blog/?p=2195

Is Bush/Cheney Impeachment a City Council's Job?

- City Council members take an oath of office promising to "protect and
defend the Constitution from enemies foreign and domestic. They don't take
an oath to fix potholes. If the Constitution is in danger then their
primary duty is to defend it.

- Cities and towns routinely send petitions to Congress for all kinds of
requests. This is allowed under Clause 3, Rule XII, Section 819, of the
Rules of the House of Representatives. This clause is routinely used to
accept petitions from cities, and memorials from states, all across
America.

Is Impeachment a Local Issue?

- If a federal action has a significant negative impact on this city, then
it is appropriate for this city to defend itself.

- Citizens from this city may be sent, or have been sent, to Iraq to fight
in an illegal and unjustified war.

- Tax funds from this city that could have been spent locally have been
spent in Iraq for war. Tax money from this city has been wasted in no-bid
contracts with companies like Halliburton with deep ties to the Bush
administration. Yet this city can barely afford the emergency services,
libraries, and schools that we need.

- The State National Guard should be available to protect this city from
floods or other disasters. But instead, President Bush has sent them to
Iraq.

--------2 of 23--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Palestine vigil 6.29 4:30pm

Friday, 6/29, 4:30 to 5:30 pm, vigil to end the occupation of Palestine,
Snelling & Summit Aves, St Paul.  Karen, 651-283-3495.

--------3 of 23--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: IWW/introduction 6.29 5:30pm

FRIDAY JUNE 29, 5;30pm
an introduction to the IWW/Industrial Workers of the WORLD also knwon for
100 years as the WOBBLIES.

WOLVES DEN
1201 EAST FRANKLIN AVE.
south Minneapolis, MN 55404

--------4 of 23--------

From: tom [at] organicconsumers.org
Subject: Wendell Berry 6.29

The chance of a local food lovin' lifetime is coming up on June 29th,
Wendell Barry will be at the College of St. Catherine speaking and reading
in celebration of Land Stewardship Project's 25th anniversary.

If you want to go get your tickets early.

"On June 29, farmer/author Wendell Berry will be at the College of St.
Catherine in Saint Paul to help launch a series of events celebrating
LSP's 25th anniversary. Berry will be featured during an evening of
readings and discussion that will also include Minnesota authors Mary Rose
O'Reilley and Joe Paddock. Seating is limited. Tickets are $25 and must be
purchased ahead of time by calling 651-653-0618 or e-mailing
lspwbl [at] landstewardshipproject.org."

http://www.landstewardshipproject.org/pr/07/newsr_070502.htm

--------5 of 23--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Project Earth 6.29-30 Geneva MN

6/29 and 6/30, Project Earth (peace fair) in Geneva, MN.
www.wookiefoot.com/ProjectEarth/home.cfm

--------6 of 23-------

From: PRO826 [at] aol.com
Subject: IRV in StPaul 6.30 10am

stpaul.betterballotcampaign.org

Clever New Ways to Sign the Petition:
Every Saturday morning at 10 am, the campaign will be at Cahoots Coffee
Shop at Selby and Snelling to gather petition signatures and answer
questions about Instant Runoff Voting.

The campaign website now features a "Sign the Petition" button!
<http://www.fairvotemn.org//stpaul/signpetition%3F_qf_Edit_next%3DSign%2Bthe%2BP
etition>

Summer Fun With IRV: We only have until August 1 to get the 3,000 more
signatures that are needed for the Better Ballot Campaign to put Instant
Runoff Voting on the ballot in November.

--------7 of 23--------

From: Eric Gilbertson <aleric [at] tcq.net>
Subject: Global bike days 6.30-7.01 11am

I met someone promoting this at Juneteenth and thought it sounded like
something that Greens would be interested in:

Global Bike Days
Saturday, June 30th - Sunday, July 1st
11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Midtown Global Market

"A weekend of bikes, music, language, culture, film, theater, children's
activities and more at the first annual Global Bike Days."

See www.globalbikedays.org for more information.

--------8 of 23--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: NWN4P Minnetonka  6.30 11am

NWN4P-Minnetonka demonstration- Every Saturday, 11 AM to noon, at Hwy. 7
and 101.  Park in the Target Greatland lot; meet near the fountain. We
will walk along the public sidewalk. Bring your own signs.

--------9 of 23--------

From: Lennie <major18 [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Northtown vigil 6.30 2pm

Mounds View peace vigil EVERY SATURDAY from 2-3pm at the at the southeast
corner of the intersection of Co. Hwy 10 and University Ave NE in Blaine,
which is the northwest most corner of the Northtown Mall area. This is a
MUCH better location.

We'll have extra signs.  Communities situated near the Northtown Mall
include: Blaine, Mounds View, New Brighton, Roseville, Shoreview, Arden
Hills, Spring Lake Park, Fridley, and Coon Rapids.

For further information, email major18 [at] comcast.net or call Lennie at

From: Leslie Reindl <alteravista [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: Bowman/9-11 6.30 6pm

Free event sponsored by MN 9/11 Truth, minnesota_911 [at] yahoo.com
Saturday, June 30, 6:15 pm

Talk by Dr. Robert Bowman, Lt. Col USAF, ret., former director of the
"Star Wars" program under Presidents Carter and Ford, Macalester College
Chapel, Grand and Macalester Aves., St. Paul 55105.

Dr. Bowman challenges us to "Take Back Americaâ" with a government that
(1) follows the Constitution, (2) honors the truth, and (3) serves the
people.  He calls for a new independent 9/11 investigation.

Doors open at 6 pm; talk followed by refreshments and socializing.  Free;
free will offering will be taken.  FFI 651-633-4410, 612-722-1504

"The Best Public Speaker in the Country" (Los Angeles Times)
Dr. Bob Bowman Lt Col, USAF, ret. (101 Combat Missions as Fighter Pilot in
Vietnam) Is bringing his Patriot Tour to town!

Saturday, June 30, 2007,  6-9 pm
Macalester College Chapel, 1600 Grand Ave.,
St. Paul 55105 (on Grand west of Snelling Ave.)

Free (free-will offering taken); refreshments and conversation follow talk

Dr. Bowman challenges us to "Take Back America.," to have  a
government that:  (1)
Follows the Constitution  (2) Honors the Truth, and  (3) Serves the
People.

Think what a difference that would make!
 No more undeclared wars of aggression.
 No more spying on the American people.
 No more exporting of jobs.
 No more NAFTA
 No more government lies, false-flag attacks, and cover-ups.
 No more corporate welfare.
 No more health plans written by insurance companies and pharmaceutical
manufacturers.
 No more energy policies written by Exxon and Enron.
 No more trillions in debt.
 Most importantly, no more using our sons and daughters to kill Arabs for
the oil companies.

Let's "Take Back America!!"
Sponsored by MN911Truth, Vets for Peace Ch. 27, Macalester College History
Department, Minnesota Alliance of Peacemakers FFI:  651-633-4410,

From: Larry Johnson <elent7 [at] comcast.net>
Subject: The '60s/stories 6.30 7pm

June 30, 7 - 9 p.m. at Dunn Bros by Loring Park, 329 West 15th St. in Mpls
THE 60s.  DID THEY REALLY HAPPEN?  Storytelling for Adults with Larry
Johnson, Elaine Wynne, Vicki Joan Keck, and Tony Wentersdorf Call
612-747-3904 for more information

--------12 of 23--------

From: "wamm [at] mtn.org" <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Coldwater walk 6.30 7pm

Coldwater Full Moon Tour: Greenman Plant Walk

Saturday, June 30, 7:00 p.m. (Gather); 7:15 p.m. (Walk) Minnehaha Park,
54th Street South, Minneapolis (South End of the Pay Parking Lot). Walk up
and down the Mississippi gorge with Henry Fieldseth, founder of the
Friends School Plant Sale. It is the largest plant sale in Minnesota and
specializes in native woodland and prairie plants. Henry even loves
"weeds." June's moon is called the Rose, Strawberry and Strong Sun moon in
various traditions. FFI: Visit <www.friendsofcoldwater.org>.

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: Vs Israel?/CTV 6.30 9pm

Revered Minneapolis Television Network (MTN 17) viewers:

"Our World In Depth" cablecasts weekly on MTN Channel 17.  Households with
basic cable can watch.  "Our World In Depth" is on Saturday at 9 pm and
the following Tuesday at 8 am (as well as other times).

6/30 and 7/3 "Is Criticism of Israel Anti-Semitic: An Evening with Norman
Finkelstein".  Part 2.