Progressive Calendar 06.21.07
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:14:04 -0700 (PDT)

1. Natural step     6.24 8:30am
2. Pride parade     6.24 11am
3. Stillwater vigil 6.24 1pm
4. Michael Cavlan   6.24 4pm
5. Arab Americans   6.24 6pm
6. Habeas bus       6.24-27 6pm

7. Natural step     6.25 8:30am
8. Cool e-tools     6.25 6:30pm
9. Amnesty Intl     6.25 7pm
10. Gaza/Palestine  6.25 7pm
11. Climate crisis  6.25 7:30pm

12. Phil Rockstroh - The DP/within the architecture of denial & duplicity
13. Michael Smith  - Who among us will step up to destroy the Dem Party?
14. Robert Jensen  - A direction not a destination
15. RobertWeissman - SICKO, part one: the human tragedy

--------1 of 15--------

From: Karen Engelsen <Karen [at] afors.org>
Subject: Natural step 6.24 8:30am

Sustainability and the Natural Step Framework, This seminar provides an
innovative, successful, and cost-effective approach for becoming
environmentally and socially responsible based on consensus and systems
thinking. Its purpose is to present a common framework comprised of
easily-understood, scientifically-based principles that can serve as a
compass to guide society toward a just and sustainable future. This
seminar is being offered twice, once each in the East and West Metro:

Thursday, May 24, 8:30a.m., a day-long session at Lake Harriet UMC,
Minneapolis.

Tuesday May 29, and Thursday, May 31, 5:30 - 9:30p.m., at Mississippi
Market. St. Paul.

--------2 of 15--------

From: Andrew Abruzzese <spreadleft [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Pride parade 6.24 11am

The Green Party of MN and Mpls/5th Dist GP local will be participating in
the TC Pride parade again this year.
TC Pride Parade falls on June 24th starting at 11am, line up is at 10am off
of 3rd and Hennepin

Parade Route
The route will begin at the corner of 3rd Street and Hennepin Avenue in
downtown Minneapolis and will follow Hennepin Avenue to Loring Park.  For
a detailed map, be sure to check out the Parade Route/Location page.

2007 Ashley Rukes GLBT Pride Parade , Presented by City Pages

The 2007 Ashley Rukes GLBT Pride Parade, presented by City Pages, will be
held on Sunday, June 24, beginning at 11am along Hennepin Avenue in
Downtown Minneapolis.  According to public estimates, the Parade drew an
estimated 125,000 spectators in 2006, making it one of the largest parades
in the Upper Midwest, and the largest in all of Minneapolis according to
Mayor R.T.  Rybak.  Because of this popularity, it is recommended that you
arrive early to find your parade viewing spot.

--------3 of 15--------

From: scot b <earthmannow [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Stillwater vigil 6.24 1pm

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Michael Cavlan 6.24 4pm

SUNDAY, JUNE 24, 4PM
MAY DAY BOOKS
301 CEDAR AVE.WEST BANK,MINNEAPOLIS
Basement of HUB Bicycle PHONE; 612-333-4719

DECLARE YOUR INDEPENDENCE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!
with GREEN PARTY candidate for U.S. Senate, MICHAEL CAVLAN

Gold Star mother for peace, Cindy Sheehan put forth a call to
independents, Greens, progressives and Democrats disillusioned with the
Democratic Party's colluding in the continuation of the occupation of
Iraq--a call to come to Philadelphia on the Fourth of July. around the
country and here in the Twin Cities people are answering that call and a
Quaker Meeting House in Philadelphia has been secured for that
convergence.

Come to a local gathering to share ideas in open discussion, food and to
fund-raise for the trip.see the film short MOUSELAND, about the two-party
system.Enjoy Lydia Howell's tasty Tex-Mex green chile torte - VEGETERIAN
(and NOT too hot for Minnesota taste) and other goodies.
DONATION; $5-10

FOR MORE INFO ON PHILADELPHIA TRIP;contact Mike Cavlan at;
ollamhfaery [at] earthlink.net

--------5 of 15--------

From: Mizna  <mizna-announce [at] mizna.org>
Subject: Arab Americans 6.24 6pm

Join Mizna for a special event this Sunday.  Nationally known Arab
American writer, Gregory Orfalea, will be reading from (and signing) his
latest book, The Arab Americans - A History.  You can purchase it on site.

Explore this Arab American coffee house in St. Paul, and join us on the
lovely patio for an event not to be missed!
Event is free and open to the public.

6 pm
Sunday, June 24
Cahoots Coffee House
1562 Selby Ave  (by the corner of Selby and Snelling)
St Paul, MN

About "The Arab Americans: A History"

Gregory Orfalea's new and definitive work spans a century and a half of
the life of Arab immigrants and their descendants in the United States. In
The Arab Americans: A History, Orfalea has marshaled over 150 interviews
and 25 years of research to tell the story that begins in 1856, when camel
driver Hajdi Ali (or Hi Jolly) was hired by Jefferson Davis to cut a
"camel trail" across the Southwest, and continues through the 2005 arrest
of a former Virginia high school valedictorian accused of plotting with
al-Qaeda. Once seen as the "benevolent stranger," as the author points
out, today Arab Americans are "the malevolent stranger." His book,
however, is an assault on such ignorance, both celebration and warning.

The Arab Americans is the culmination of a life's work, a landmark in the
history of what it means to be an American. It is also the history of a
community uniquely repressed in American scholarship, history, literature,
and politics. The Arab Americans fills a sizable void, and it could not be
more timely. With American troops sprawled across the Arab and Muslim
world, Orfalea's work is like light in a dark tunnel - facts, not
stereotypes; people, not shadows; the vibrant world of a lost American
experience come to life.

Orfalea brings to this work an historian's love of meticulous and telling
detail, a poet's ear, and a novelist's sense of story. The cumulative
effect is symphonic and its arrival none too soon.

Greg Orfalea is director of the writing center at Pitzer College in
California and co-editor of Grape Leaves: A Century of Arab-American
Poetry.

Visit our website:  http://www.mizna.org

--------6 of 15--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Habeas bus 6.24-27 6pm

6/24 to 6/27, American Civil Liberties Union hosts a bus (cost to
participants is only $10, with hotel also included) to DC for a rally to
Restore Habeas Corpus, end torture and repeal the Military Commissions
Act.  Bus leaves the Twin Cities at 6 pm on Sunday for Tuesday rally and
Wednesday return.  For rally details, go to www.juneaction.com For local
details contact Jana Kooren at 651-645-4097 x 123.

--------7 of 15--------

From: Alliance for Sustainability <sean [at] afors.org>
Subject: Natural step 6.25 8:30am

Sustainability and the Natural Step Framework: A Win-Win-Win for Business,
Our Community and the Earth

This Seminar provides an innovative, successful, and cost-effective approach
for becoming environmentally and socially responsible based on consensus and
systems thinking. Its purpose is to present a common framework comprised of
easily-understood, scientifically-based principles that can serve as a
compass to guide society toward a just and sustainable future.

Monday, June 25  8:30 am - 4:30 pm
8 am Registration and Food Available at Intelligent Nutrients
Intelligent Nutrients, 983 East Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis
(Just off I-35W going North at East Hennepin Ave. Exit or Bus 61, 25 and 4)

RSVP Requested and Advanced Registration Discount: $95 ($75 for
contributing members of Alliance and other sponsors) if payment received
by Monday June 18. $10 additional after and $20 additional at the door if
space is available. A limited number of scholarships are available. If you
can't come to the second session, you can come another time. Fee includes
all resource materials. Contact: Alliance for Sustainability,
612-331-1099, info [at] afors.org; www.afors <http://www.afors/> .org

--------8 of 15--------

From: Tim Erickson <tim [at] e-democracy.org>
Subject: Cool e-tools 6.25 6:30pm

Upcoming workshops in the Electronic Classroom at Rondo Community
Outreach Library (University and Dale):

MONDAYS IN JUNE  6:30-8:30 pm
   June 25 - Show and Tell:
             New Tools (Cool Tools) for Public Participation

From: Gabe Ormsby <gabeo [at] bitstream.net>
Subject: Amnesty Intl 6.25 7pm

Augustana Homes Seniors Group meets on Monday, June 25th, from 7:00 to
8:00 p.m. in the party room of the 1020 Building, 1020 E 17th Street,
Minneapolis. For more information contact Ardes Johnson at 612/378-1166 or
johns779 [at] tc.umn.edu.