[Fwd: Upcoming Events at the Jack Pine]
From: Luce Guillén-Givins (lucethejackpine.org)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 15:29:03 -0700 (PDT)
All events at the Jack Pine Community Center
2815 e. Lake st Minneapolis 612.729.2837
For more info, www.thejackpine.org or info [at] thejackpine.org

IWW Parent’s Night Out
Thursday May 31st  7-10pm

On the last Thursday of Every month, the Twin Cities Branch of the Industrial Workers of the World (also known as
“The Wobblies”) organize children’s events and hold babysitting, from 7 PM until 10 PM. We call
these events “Parents’ Nights Out,” since the goal is to help hard-working parents and caregivers
take some time for themselves: to regroup, make love, and build community.
For the Twin Cities Branch, assisting in the project of building stronger
families and saner communities where we all share in the important projects of
raising the next generation go hand in hand with the work of ending the
domination of our lives and our world by capitalism and its cohort of cultural
diseases.
The next Parents’ Night Out event will be held on Thursday, May 31st.
Please call the IWW with questions at (612) 339-1266, or email us at twincities
[at] iww.org. Feel free to contact us with any questions.

Rising Tide Roadshow
Friday, June 1
7pm - Performance

Saturday, June 2
12pm - Workshops

Organizers with Rising Tide North America are traveling throughout the nation
in a vegetable oil powered bus to talk with communities about the impacts of
climate change and what can be done to fight it.

Using music, theatre, and multimedia presentations, the Climate Action Tour
will cover a wide range of topics including: an overview of how climate change
is impacting the human and natural world, the new coal rush, debunking false
solutions to climate change, international opposition to the fossil fuel
industry, environmental justice, and the array of creative actions communities
can take.

Rising Tide North America is part of an international network dedicated to
fighting the root causes of climate change. In the past year Rising Tide North
America has organized civil disobedience against a coal power plant, a
nationwide bike ride on the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, and a grassroots
counter-summit to the G8 climate talks in Mexico City. See
risingtidenorthamerica.org for more info.

The Climate Action Tour is being organized in response to a lack of action in the US on
the issues of fossil fuel consumption and climate change. "We felt a need to do
something to get the word out about climate change, and empower communities to take
action against this enormous threat we face; because the government certainly
isn't." said Abigail Singer, with Rising Tide North America.

The educational tour will have a major focus on exposing false solutions to climate
change such as nuclear power and carbon offset schemes. "So many of the so called
solutions to climate change being put forward by corporations are complete scams. We
cannot solve the climate crisis with new polluting industries, or by imposing genetically
modified tree plantations on poor countries to offset our gluttonous lifestyles. We need
to make drastic changes in the way we as a society live," said Julian Drix.
The presentation is open to people of all ages, and families are welcome.

For further information, email risingtidemn [at] riseup.net

Red Dawn
Monday June 4th 8pm
Free with a letter to a prisoner

A showing of the Patrick Swayze film, Red Dawn presented by the Ecoprisoner
Support Committee.

Bench Press Burlesque
Saturday and Sunday, June 9 and 10
Doors at 8pm, Show at 8:30

A Radical, Multi Gendered, Sex-Positive, Queer Positive Feminist Feat of Political Performance. From St. Louis. Check out www.benchpressburlesque,circlebox.org. call 341.308.3985 if you will need kids’ activities at the show.

Jack Pine Community Meeting
Sunday, June 10th
4:00pm at the Jack Pine

The Jack Pine Community Center needs your help (and we don't just mean money!)
In the coming months, we invite anybody with energy to give to the JPCC to give
it unapologetically, to embrace ownership of this space and its work, and to
realize your own visions for what this place could be.

Recently, the Jack Pine Collective has realized that we no longer effectively
represent the people who use the space. In response to this, we need to develop
new strategies for decision-making, and spread power out amongst the people who
use and value the space. Your energy and input is necessary to keep the space
open!

The primary goal of our community meeting is to form a steering committee that will review the organizational structure of the Jack Pine and propose changes and new strategies for effective management of the space. The committee will begin working in the middle of June and conclude at the end of the summer. The major question posed to the committee will be: "Is there an organizational structure capable of and willing to make the decision to keep the JPCC open?"

We recognize that there are many people who feel connected to the JPCC, and we hope to create a climate in which that feeling of connection can transform, finally, to ownership. So if you've ever come to use our free internet, play ping-pong or foosball, check a book out of our library, get free food, see an inspiring movie or speaker, or had meetings or classess at the Jack Pine and you want others to be able to do the same in the future, come help us create new ways to make the Jack Pine a sustainable community resource. See you at the meeting!

Sisters' Camelot Food Share
Tuesday, June 12 and 26
1:30pm

Come get free groceries on the second and fourth Tuesdays of every month.

--
Jack Pine Community Center
2815 E. Lake St.