Progressive Calendar 03.29.07
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 04:01:01 -0700 (PDT)

1. CCHT/housing       3.29 7:30am
2. Eagan peace vigil  3.29 4:30pm
3. Northtown vigil    3.29 5pm
4. MetroIBA           3.29 6pm
5. Arab film festival 3.29 6pm
6. US social forum    3.29 7pm
7. Ethiopia/film      3.29 7pm
8. Women/science/film 3.29 7pm
9. AWC new members    3.29 7pm
10. Jesus/real?       3.29 7pm
11. War tapes/film    3.29 7pm
12. Zen peace walk    3.29 7pm
13. Jay Shadidi/Iran  3.29 7pm
14. Music benefit     3.29 7:30pm

15. Animal protest    3.30 1pm
16. FinnRuss war/film 3.30 7:15pm
17. Help SASE         3.30-4.14
18. Nader film/Lagoon 3.30

19. Dan DiMaggio  - Review of new film about Ralph Nader
20. Ty Moore      - My letter to StarTrib on the Ellison vote
21. Larry Everest - Another $100 billion to continue the war
22. ed            - Tales of two households
23. ed            - Lexi-con

--------1 of 23--------

From: Philip Schaffner <PSchaffner [at] ccht.org>
Subject: CCHT/housing 3.29 7:30am

Learn how Central Community Housing Trust is responding to the
affordable housing shortage in the Twin Cities. Please join us for a
1-hour Building Dreams presentation.

Minneapolis Session:  Mar 29 at 7:30a

We are also happy to present Building Dreams at your organization, place
of worship, or business. Space is limited, please register online at:
www.ccht.org/bd or call Philip Schaffner at 612-341-3148 x237

Central Community Housing Trust 1625 Park Avenue Minneapolis, MN 55404
(612) 341-3148 www.ccht.org

--------2 of 23--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <skograce [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 3.29 4:30pm

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 3.29 5pm

From: Tim Dykstal <tim [at] metroiba.org>
Subject: MetroIBA 3.29 6pm

Metro Independent Business Alliance
MetroIBA Annual Members' Meeting
Thursday, March 29
6 pm
at Magers and Quinn Booksellers
3038 Hennepin Ave. S
Minneapolis, MN 55408

Talk by Bill McKibben
State of MetroIBA, by Board, ED
Refreshments by Lucia
Good cheer by all
Bring a friend! Interested small business owners welcome

 * David Unowsky introduces Bill McKibben.
 * Author, Bill McKibben speaks for 15-20 minutes.(new book -"Deep
    Economy")
 * Tim Dykstal presents last year's accomplishments:  slide show,
    handout.
 * Tim D. introduces new Board members, with a short bio.
 * Nancy Breymeier recognizes old Board members.
 * Nancy presents Comprehensive Plan, asks for volunteers for specific
    tasks.
 * Nancy presents By-laws change, and asks for vote.
 * Adjourn for social and refreshments.  Meet and talk with current small
business members and other small business owners with like needs and
problems.  Find out that we are not without things that we can do to help
ourselves and others.

 Lucia's is providing  food for the recption.  Good stuff!

--------5 of 23--------

From: Mizna  <mizna-announce [at] mizna.org>
Subject: Arab film festival 3.29 6pm

Mizna's presents the Twin Cities Fourth Arab Film Festival
March 29th through April 1st, 2007
Heights Theater, 3952 Central Ave NE, Columbia Heights, MN
http://www.mizna.org/arabfilmfest07/index.html

SHOWTIMES
Thursday: Opening night reception 6PM
Heaven's Doors 7PM Introduced by guest Ali Selim (Sweet Land)

Friday:  Showtimes 4PM-9PM

Saturday:  Showtimes 10AM-9PM

Sunday: Showtimes 10AM-7PM Closing night reception 9PM

The following directors will be present for discussions after the
screening of their films: Saeed Taji Farouky (I See the Stars at Noon);
Annie Sundberg (The Devil Came on Horseback); Nida Sinnokrot (Palestine
Blues).

Film Festival Passes $40 available before festival begins:  www.mizna.org

Through the Twin Cities Arab Film Festival, it is our hope to present our
local, diverse communities with a space to share and celebrate quality,
alternative, and enjoyable cinematic experience. An important outcome of
this experience is the exposure of American audiences to the breadth and
depth of the current cultural and artistic production from the Arab world
and of Arabs in America. This serves to counter the daily stereotypes of
Arabs that bombard Americans on a daily basis.

http://www.mizna.org/arabfilmfest07/index.html

--------6 of 23--------

From: Susan Raffo <raquelsusan [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: US social forum 3.29 7pm

Another world is possible ­ especially with involvement from Minneapolis
and St. Paul! Twin Cities mobilization for the US Social Forum ­ Come to a
meeting!

Are you already thinking of attending the US Social Forum in June this
year? Do you have no idea what the US Social Forum is but you are drawn to
the idea that another world is possible?

Well, it is. The US Social Forum is more than a conference, more than a
networking bonanza, more than a reaction to war and repression. The USSF
will provide space to build relationships, learn from each other's
experiences, share our analysis of the problems our communities face, and
bring renewed insight and inspiration. It will help develop leadership and
develop consciousness, vision, and strategy needed to realize another
world.

The USSF sends a message to other peoplešs movements around the world that
there is an active movement in the US opposing US Policies at home and
abroad.

We must declare what we want our world to look like and begin planning the
path to get there. A global movement is rising. The USSF is our
opportunity to demonstrate to the world Another World is Possible!

Please come to a meeting on Thursday, March 29th at the Walker Community
Church, 3104 16th Avenue South, from 7 until 9pm.

Here is some of what we plan to talk about: What is the US Social Forum?
How is the Midwest involved in the Forum? Who is already organizing to go
and what are they doing? How do we get more folks from the Twin Cities and
Minnesota to go, demonstrating the richness of our radical history and
present time? What does it cost to get there? How are we going to make
going happen as cheaply, accessibly and easily as possible? Plus, we will
talk about whatever you want to add to our conversation.

For information about the US Social Forum, go to: www.ussf2007.org
<http://www.ussf2007.org>

--------7 of 23--------

From: Human Rights Events Update <humanrts [at] umn.edu>
Subject: Ethiopia/film 3.29 7pm

The University of Minnesota Human Rights Center is proud to announce the
third screening and panel discussion in the 2006-2007 Human Rights Film
Series

Betrayal of Democracy: Ethiopia
March 29, 2007
7:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Room 25, University of Minnesota Law School, 229 19th Ave S., Minneapolis
*Free and Open to the Public*

Betrayal of Democracy: Ethiopia

This film is a must-see documentary that depicts the brutal repression of
human rights in Ethiopia. It contains accounts and footage of the 2003
Anuak massacre, as well as other political oppression and human rights
violations in Ethiopia. It also features interviews with prominent
Ethiopians, human rights activists, and political leaders.

The screening of Betrayal of Democracy: Ethiopia will be followed by a
panel discussion with:
.  Obang Metho, Executive Producer of Betrayal of Democracy: Ethiopia;
Executive Director, Anuak Justice Council
.  Solomon Gashaw, Associate Professor of Sociology, University of
Minnesota-Morris
.  Laura Provinzino, Former Wellstone Legal Fellow, Minnesota Advocates
for Human Rights

For more information on the film, please visit www.anuakjustice.org