Progressive Calendar 02.20.07
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 02:37:23 -0800 (PST)
              P R 0 G R E S S I V E   C A L E N D A R     02.20.07

1. Health care salon 2.20 6:30pm

2. Produce/peace     2.21 8am
3. Women/color/media 2.21 8:30am
4. Darfur/women      2.21 12noon StCloud MN
5. Thirst/film       2.21 7pm

6. CCHT housing      2.22 7:30am
7. Foreign Policy    2.22 12noon
8. USSR/US/Latvia    2.22 12noon
9. Eagan peace vigil 2.22 4:30pm
10. Northtown vigil  2.22 5pm
11. Birch/WAMM       2.22 5pm
12. Iraq for Sale/f  2.22 7pm
13. Maxed$ out/film  2.22 7pm
14. War tapes/film   2.22 7pm
15. Black pioneers/t 2.22 8pm

16. Karen Kwiatkowski - Can a US war with Iran be prevented?
17. Robert Jansen     - The problem of bi-partisan empire-building
18. Mickey Z          - Top 10 ways Democrats differ from Republicans

--------1 of 18--------

From: patty <pattypax [at] EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: Health care salon2.20 6:30pm

Tuesday, Feb. 20, the salon guest will be John Schwarz to give us a brief
overview of the major issues of health care and explain and compare major
proposals and issues.  Universal coverage will be explained as will single
payer and consumer driven health care.  John is a long time advocate for
single payer and other progressive health reforms and is the director of
United Health Systems.  There will be much time for discussion and
questions

Pax Salons ( http://justcomm.org/pax-salon ) are held (unless otherwise
noted in advance): Tuesdays, 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Mad Hatter's Tea House, 943
W 7th, St Paul, MN

From: wamm <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Produce/peace 2.21 8am

"Produce for Peace" North Country Co-op donates 5% to WAMM

Wednesday February 21 and Wednesday, February 28, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
North Country Co-op, Riverside and 20th Avenue on the West Bank in
Minneapolis. Women Against Military Madness (WAMM) will be the beneficiary
of North Country Co-op's "Produce for Peace" campaign.

In recognition of the importance of the coming months for our country's
involvement in the Iraq War, North Country Co-op is donating 5% of all
produce sales to a group working for peace. North Country Marketing &
Membership Manager Erik Esse."More than ever, we need WAMM's energy to
bring some sense back to our national priorities." North Country, the Twin
Cities' oldest food co-op, has a tradition of supporting the peace
movement from its inception in 1971 to today. More information:
www.northcountrycoop.com.

--------3 of 18--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Women/color/media 2.21 8:30am

The Women's Foundation of Minnesota's UpStart Lecture Series
by Simon Anderson

The Women's Foundation of Minnesota's UpStart Lecture Series continues
on Wednesday morning February 21. The event features KFAI Radio's
executive director, Janis Lane-Ewart, speaking on the topic "Increasing
the Number of Women of Color in Public Broadcasting." UpStart, brings
together diverse women leaders from across the state and around the
globe to talk about the issues that matter most to women and their
communities.

The lecture takes place from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. at the Midtown YWCA in
Minneapolis, located at 2121 E. Lake Street.

To RSVP call 612-236-1858 or email heidi [at] wfmn.org. For more information
visit www.wfmn.org/events/

--------4 of 18--------

From: erin [at] mnwomen.org
Subject: Darfur/women 2.21 12noon StCloud MN

Wednesday, February 21: St. Cloud State University Women's Center Women on
Wednesday "Dafur Crisis: The Unbearable Burden Women Carry." Noon-1PM at
Atwood Theatre. Free and open to the public. More info:
www.stcloudstate.edu/womenscenter or 320/308-4958.

--------5 of 18--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Thirst/film 2.21 7pm

Wednesday, 2/21, 7 pm, free film "Thirst" examining whether safe drinking
water should be a common right or a private commodity, Lakes & Plains
Regional Council of Carpenters, 700 Olive St, St Paul.
www.laboreducation.org

--------6 of 18--------

From: Philip Schaffner <PSchaffner [at] ccht.org>
Subject: CCHT housing 2.22 7:30am

Learn how Central Community Housing Trust is responding to the
affordable housing shortage in the Twin Cities. Please join us for a
1-hour Building Dreams presentation.

Minneapolis Sessions: Feb 22 at 7:30a
St. Paul Sessions: Feb 28 at 4:30p

We are also happy to present Building Dreams at your organization, place
of worship, or business. Space is limited, please register online at:
www.ccht.org/bd or call Philip Schaffner at 612-341-3148 x237

Central Community Housing Trust 1625 Park Avenue Minneapolis, MN 55404
(612) 341-3148 www.ccht.org

--------7 of 18--------

From: Stephen Feinstein <feins001 [at] umn.edu>
Subject: Foreign Policy 2.22 12noon

The Foreign Policy Disconnect: Multilateral Public, Unilateral Officials

Benjamin Page, Gordon S. Fulcher Professor of Decision Making,
Northwestern University

Thursday, February 22, 2007
Noon - 1:00pm
Room 215, Humphrey Center
301 19th Ave S., Minneapolis
Sponsored by the Center for the Study of Politics and Governance,
University of Minnesota Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs

Foreign policy has often been designed to serve the nation's interests
even if it runs counter to what majorities of Americans prefer. The result
is that decades of American foreign policy have been at odds with strong
and sustained public opinion. Although some discrepancies may be
unavoidable, large and consistent gaps endanger the sustainability and
democratic underpinnings of American foreign policy.

Ben Page, Gordon S. Fulcher Professor of Decision Making at Northwestern
University, will discuss the growing gap between the American public and
policymakers on the issue of foreign policy. His talk is based on the book
he recently co-wrote with Marshall M. Bouton, /The Foreign Policy
Disconnect: What Americans Want from Our Leaders but Don't Get/. Professor
Page's research interests include public opinion and policy making, the
mass media, empirical democratic theory, political economy, policy
formation, the presidency, and American foreign policy. Professor Page
received a PhD from Stanford University and a JD from Harvard Law School.

The Center for the Study of Politics and Governance works to develop
practical solutions to pressing political and policy challenges. CSPG
provides non-partisan research and forums to foster more effective and
efficient governance, increase the transparency of government processes,
and rebuild public trust in order to counteract negative influences that
threaten our democracy.

RSVPs requested to cpsg [at] umn.edu <mailto:cpsg [at] umn.edu> or 612-625-2530.
www.hhh.umn.edu/centers/cspg

To request disability accommodations, please call 612-625-2530 or email
cpsg [at] umn.edu <mailto:cpsg [at] umn.edu>

--------8 of 18--------

From: Stephen Feinstein <feins001 [at] umn.edu>
Subject: USSR/US/Latvia 2.22 12noon

Feb. 22 - Ieva Zake, Rowan University, "The Dark Side of the USSR-US
Cultural Contacts during the Cold War--the Perspective of Latvian
Immigrants", 12-1 pm, 308 Andersen Library

--------9 of 18--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <skograce [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 2.22 4:30pm

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 2.22 5pm

From: wamm <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Birch/WAMM 2.22 5pm

Birch Clothing (Fair Made, Fair Trade) Donates 15% to WAMM

Thursday, February 22, 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. 2309 West 50th Street (at Penn
Avenue), Minneapolis. Fair-made, fair-trade clothing. Birch Clothing is
donating 15% of sales to WAMM. Birch Clothing sells apparel and
accessories made from sustainable fabrics and recycled materials that are
constructed under fair labor conditions. The clothing Birch carries is
made from natural fibers and sustainable fabrics such as organic cotton
and linen, hemp, silk, bamboo, wool, tencel and soy. Located in
Minneapolis, Birch is a boutique for consumers seeking to shop their
values. Classic and contemporary styles made from high-quality fabrics.
FFI: Call Birch Clothing, 612-436-0776.

--------12 of 18--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Iraq for Sale/film 2.22 7pm

The film, "Iraq for Sale: The War Profiteers" will be shown, free of
charge, at the Brookdale Library, 6125 Shingle Creek Parkway, Brooklyn
Center on Thursday February 22nd, 7 PM sharp.

This film addresses two vital questions: Who's getting killed? Who's
making a killing? Sponsored by NW Neighbors for Peace; all are welcome.
For more information, please contact Art Bjorngjeld at bjorngjeld [at] juno.com
or at 763-566-8255.

--------13 of 18--------

From: Jordan Ash <financialjustice [at] acorn.org>
Subject: Maxed$ out/film 2.22 7pm

On Thursday, February 22, there will be a free premiere of the acclaimed
film Maxed Out which shows how the modern financial industry really works.
Maxed Out, which presents a compelling, eye-opening examination of debt in
America and the lending industry that profits, opens in select cities
nationwide on March 9.

Filmmaker James Scurlock will be on hand for a question and answer
session.

Maxed Out veers from comic absudity to tragedy as it shows how current
lending practices are wreaking havoc upon the lives of ordinary Americans.

After the film, members of Minnesota ACORN will discuss how they fought
back and won against predatory mortgage lenders, unscrupulous real estate
agents, and ruthless scam artists, and will talk about their current
efforts to pass a state bill against predatory lending.

The film will be at 7 p.m. at the Lagoon Theater, 1320 Lagoon Avenue in
Minneapolis.

Seating is limited, please RSVP to (651) 644-5061 or
financialjustice1 [at] acorn.org
For more information about the film, visit www.maxedoutmovie.com

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: War tapes/film 2.22 7pm

Thursday, 2/22, 7 pm, free documentary "The War Tapes" made by Iraq
soldiers, County Library, 123 Main St, Hopkins.  www.dfalink.com/events.php