Progressive Calendar 02.05.07
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:58:13 -0800 (PST)

1. Anti-war league   2.06 4:30pm
2. Tom T sells out   2.06 5pm
3. Salon/open talk   2.06 6:30pm

4. Nutrigenomics     2.07 11:3Oam
5. Haiti/bridge      2.07 4:30pm
6. Women/politics    2.07 5pm
7. Uncivil discourse 2.07 5:30pm
8. Public health     2.07 5:30pm
9. Sudan DPs         2.07 6pm
10. TACSR/stadium    2.07 7pm
11. Microfinance     2.07 7pm

12. Rights/security  2.08 12noon
13. Activist theater 2.08 4pm
14. Black identity/f 2.08 6:30pm
15. Somali writer    2.08 7pm
16. Mil recruit/bias 2.08 7pm
17. Palestine/film   2.08 8pm

18. Ralph Nader on Why he might run in 2008

--------1 of 18--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Anti-war league 2.06 4:30pm

Tuesday, 2/6, 4:30 pm, intro meeting of Anti-War Organizing League, 302
Coffman Union, U of M East Bank, Mpls.  umnawol [at] gmail.com

--------2 of 18---------

From: tom [at] organicconsumers.org
Subject: Tom T sells out 2.06 5pm

or at least I am trying to.

On that first frigid Friday of February folks filled the California Street
Gallery and walked home with much art but I have so much stuff that the
walls are now again full and waiting for you to come visit me and keep it
all of it out of the landfill.

There are over 200 drawings, prints, posters, zines, various objects
d'arte and the vast majority of it all priced between 5 and 100 bucks.
Aldo Moroni has on display and for sale sculptures and drawings too so I
know theres gotta be something here that would suit your discriminating
taste and not so fat wallet.

I am sitting the California Street Building Gallery (conveniently located
in lovely lower northeast Minneapolis at 2205 California ST - 22nd AVE and
California ST NE)Tuesday from 5 to 8 and Wed - Fri from noon to 8:PM. On
Saturday the 10th there will be a closing party starting at 7:PM where we
will try and recreate the happy hoo-haa that happened on Friday.

So come on down and see what I am selling and why I am dreaming so
passionately about South Dakota.

I hope you will brave the freekin' freeze and come see me and please feel
free to share this with any and all, tt 612-788-4252

The skinny: Affordable art for sell at the CA Street Gallery - 2205 California
ST
(22nd and California) in NE MPLS.

Duration - This show will hang from Tuesday, February 6th till Saturday,
February 10th. The gallery hours are noon to 8:PM. On Tuesday I will be
there from 5 to 8:PM

The Occasion - Loving homes are needed to keep art from the garbage burner
and I want to go west.

--------3 of 18--------

From: patty <pattypax [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: Salon/open talk 2.06 6:30pm

Hope the cold won't keep you away from coming and thawing out w/some
hot tea or coffee and having some open discussion about whatever you want.
Tuesday, Feb 6.

Next Tuesday, the 13th , we will be having some poetry w/the theme of
Valentine's Day.

Pax Salons ( http://justcomm.org/pax-salon ) are held (unless otherwise
noted in advance): Tuesdays, 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Mad Hatter's Tea House, 943
W 7th, St Paul, MN

Salons are free but donations encouraged for program and treats. Call
651-227-3228 or 651-227-2511 for information.

--------4 of 18--------

From: lawvalue <lawvalue [at] umn.edu>
Subject: Nutrigenomics 2.07 11:3Oam

2006-07 Lecture Series on Law, Health, & the Life Sciences
Prof. David Castle, PhD (University of Ottawa)

Genomic Nutritional Profiling: The Ethics of Nutrigenomics
Wednesday, February 7, 2007
11:30am-1:00pm
St. Paul Student Center Theater

Hippocrates advised us to let food be our medicine, but he could not have
anticipated the quagmire of ethical and legal issues that would arise with
the advent of nutritional genomics.  Nutrigenomics straddles a
food-medicine distinction and is encumbered with many questions about the
strength and uncertainties associated with the science.  Prof. Castle will
discuss how the public should respond to offers of direct-to-consumer
nutrigenomic tests and how regulators can identify and mitigate risks
arising from this new science.

Dean Allen Levine, PhD (College of Food, Agriculture, and Natural
Resources Sciences) and Kristin Oehlke (Coordinator of the State of
Minnesota's Chronic Disease Genomics Project) will offer commentary after
Prof. Castle's talk.

The event is free and open to the public.  Registration is required if you
wish to receive continuing education credits (CLE, CME, or CNE)--RSVP to
lawvalue [at] umn.edu or 612-625-0055.  St. Paul Student Center parking is
available in the Gortner Ramp.  Maps may be found at
http://onestop.umn.edu/Maps/index.html.

About Prof. Castle:
David Castle is a Professor of Philosophy at the University of Ottawa. His
research focuses on the philosophy of the life sciences, with emphasis on
evolutionary biology and ecology, environmental philosophy, and the
ethical implications posed by biotechnology.  He is the Principal
Investigator of the "Canadian Program on Genomics and Global Health"
funded by Genome Canada and "Legal Models of Biotechnology Intellectual
Property Protection: A Transdisciplinary Approach," supported by the
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.

Commentators:
Allen Levine, PhD is Dean of the University's new College of Food,
Agriculture, and Natural Resources Sciences.  Until being appointed dean,
he was Professor and Head of the Department of Food Science and Nutrition.
He holds joint appointments in the Departments of Psychiatry,
Neuroscience, and Medicine.  Prior to joining the University, he was the
Associate Director of Research and a Senior Career Scientist at the
Minneapolis VA Medical Center. He is also Director of the Minnesota
Obesity Center, a National Institutes of Health-funded collaborative
research group.  His research focuses on neural regulation of food intake
and he has received two major awards for his efforts: the Mead Johnson
Award from the American Institute of Nutrition and the Grace A. Goldsmith
Award from the American College of Nutrition. Dean Levine has served on
the advisory groups of various food and pharmaceutical corporations
including the Dannon Institute, Best Foods, and the International Life
Sciences Institute.  He received his PhD in Nutrition from the University
of Minnesota.

Kristin Peterson Oehlke is Coordinator of the State of Minnesota's Chronic
Disease Genomics Project.  She has worked in genetics in a variety of
positions across the U.S., from Washington to Georgia.  Ms. Oehlke
received her MS in Genetic Counseling from the University of Colorado
Health Sciences Center.

Continuing Education Information:
This lecture is intended for students, faculty, researchers, scientists,
policymakers, and interested community members.  Following this lecture,
participants should be able to:

* Identify ethical issues arising from nutritional genomic profiling
affecting the public and the medical community.
* Discuss the risks and benefits of using genetic testing to develop a
personalized profile from which to base health-related decisions.

Applications for CME and CNE credits have been filed with the University
of Minnesota Office of Continuing Medical Education.  Determination of
credit is pending.  Continuing legal education credit (CLE) for attorneys
has been requested (1.5 hours).

This event has been designated by the University of Minnesota's Office of
the Vice President for Research to satisfy the Awareness/Discussion
component of the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) continuing
education requirement.

This is the second lecture in the 2006-07 Lecture Series on Law, Health &
the Life Sciences.  This year's Lecture Series focuses on nutrigenomics,
nutraceuticals, and direct-to-consumer marketing of genomic nutritional
profiling.  For more information on upcoming events, visit
http://www.lifesci.consortium.umn.edu/conferences/.

--------5 of 18--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Haiti/bridge 2.07 4:30pm

Wednesday, 2/7, 4:30 to 5:30 pm, demonstration in solidarity with Haiti
(end US/UN occupation, free political prisoners, stop the killings),
Lake/Marshall bridge across the Mississippi River, Twin Cities.
biego001 [at] umn.edu

--------6 of 18--------

From: erin [at] mnwomen.org
Subject: Women/politics 2.07 5pm

Also February 7: Center on Women and Public Policy UofM. Women & Politics
Book Group Spring 2007: Candidate: The Truth Behind the Presidential
Campaign by Emily O'Reilly. 5 PM. 612/625-7176 for location.
www.hhh.umn.edu/centers.wpp/.

--------7 of 18--------

From: Darrell Gerber <darrellgerber [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: Uncivil discourse 2.07 5:30pm

Uncivil Discourse and the Rise of the Outrage Industry
Wednesday, February 7
Registration - 5:30 p.m.
Program - 6:30 p.m.
Reception - 7:30 p.m.

Join Citizens League board member, Nate Garvis, vice president for
Government Affairs at Target Corporation, for an engaging discussion
entitled "Uncivil Discourse and the Rise of the Outrage Industry" at 6:30
p.m. on Wednesday, February 7 in the McGuire Theater at the Walker Art
Center. Nate will offer his perspective on the forces shaping society
today, and examine the ways outrage is becoming an industry in and of
itself, intent on keeping us angry. The resulting polarization has become
a powerful force with social and economic consequences. Going beyond a
statement of the problem, Nate will suggest ways to weave ourselves back
together so we can tackle today's complex issues with sustainable results.

Presented in partnership with the Walker Art Center and sponsored by
Phillips Distilling Company, this event is free. Intended as an
opportunity for people to get to know the Citizens League, we ask that
members who plan to attend bring a nonmember as your guest. Since space is
limited and to aid planning, we ask that you register in advance. Click
<http://citizensleague.org/events/past/2007/02/uncivil_discour.php> here
to register online, or call (651) 293-0575, extension 16.

[I'm a bit dubious on this one: Target? Phillips? Their "uncivil" may just
mean "anti-establishment", masking an ideological difference under a mask
of decorum. -ed]