Progressive Calendar 02.01.07
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 02:12:55 -0800 (PST)

1. Lights out        2.01 6:55pm

2. Picket Northwest  2.02 11am
3. Fix broke Tom/SD  2.02 7pm

4. Wetlands summit   2.03 8am
5. Mideast peace now 2.03 9:30am
6. NWN4P demos       2.03 11am
7. US v Bush         2.03 11:30am
8. Living Green conf 2.03 12noon Duluth MN
9. Green Party StP   2.03 12noon
10. Northtown vigil  2.03 1pm
11. Vs RNC in 2008   2.03 2pm
12. US v Bush        2.03 2:30pm
13. SNO ball         2.03 7pm

14. Nix nukes        2.04 3pm
15. Green bus/TV     2.04 6pm
16. Vs Iraq war      2.04+

17. Robert Halfhill  - A major reason why antiwar shut down in 2003
18. Jim Fuller       - No more excuses: Out of Iraq, out with Bush
19. Chalmers Johnson - Empire v democracy: why Nemesis is at our door
20. Ferlinghetti     - Bird with two right wings  (poem)

--------1 of 20--------

From: HolleB [at] aol.com
Subject: Lights out 2.01 6:55pm

I just wanted you to know that there is an event circulating through
students on facebook that you can and should take part in!  On Thursday,
February 1st, at 6:55pm, turn out all the lights in the house for 5
minutes (until 7:00).  The idea for this started in France, gravitated to
the UK and now to Canada and the US.  It's to make a statement about
energy and the environment.  51,000 students around the world so far have
signed up to do it and that does not take into account non-facebook
members!

Let's allow the earth to take 5, so to speak :)  Read about it below,
if you think you might want to participate.

Lights out everyone 1st of feb

On the 1st February, 2007 throughout the world:

The purpose is not just to save electricity for 5 minutes that day, but to
draw the attention of citizens, the media and the authorities to the waste
of energy and the need to initiate action! 5 minutes respite for the
planet: that's not long, it costs nothing and will show our politicians
that climate change is something which should figure prominently in
political debates.

Why the 1st February? Because that is the day on which the latest report
of the United Nations Panel of Experts is to be released in Paris.
Although this event is scheduled to take place in France, we should not
miss this opportunity of drawing attention to the global climatic
situation. If we all participate our actions will have great public and
political resonance, at an important moment in our political life.!

--------2 of 20--------

From: Karen Schultz <schulars [at] bitstream.net>
Subject: Picket Northwest 2.02 11am

Northwest AFA to Meet, Picketing Slated in MSP for Friday

At the direction of the National Mediation Board (NMB), your AFA
negotiating team will be returning to the bargaining table on Friday
February 2, 2007. This will be the first meeting since December 12, 2006,
when the NMB unexpectedly halted negotiations between AFA and Northwest
and returned to Washington D.C.

In order to show full support for our negotiations committee, CHAOS
picketing will occur at the MSP airport on Friday, February 2 from 11 a.m.
(CST) until 12:30 p.m. Your participation in this picket is imperative.
Members not flying are needed to fully support our negotiators as we
continue fighting management for a livable contract.

MSP picketers should meet at 10:45 a.m. for a pre-picketing briefing at
the MSP Airport Transit Center - Bus Stop Level. For additional
information regarding MSP picketing, contact MSP Mobilization Chair Laurie
Gandrud at 952-241-4109, or email at lgandrud [at] nwaafa.org.

--------3 of 20--------

From: tom [at] organicconsumers.org
Subject: Fix broke Tom/SD 2.02 7pm

I am selling ALL my artwork that I have made AND Everything is CHEAP,
CHEAP, CHEAP!

It looks like I have a second interview for a organizing job in Brookings,
SD so I have to get there and back and MAYBE MOVE.

You may personally think it is weird of anyone to say BUT: HELP ME GET TO
SOUTH DAKOTA!!! ~ YES, I am even MORE serious than George W trying to
shovel even more or our money into his pals pockets!

Please forward onto ANYONE you can think of that likes pretty and not so
pretty pictures or may know me.

The evening of Friday, February 2nd not only offers you a full moon AND
Ground Hogs Day but also a unique opportunity to view and take home pieces
from all our collective pasts. Tom Taylor and Aldo Moroni are opening
their vaults and cleaning house.

Opening - Friday, February 2nd 7:00 PM on at thhe California Street
Gallery, 2205 California ST (22nd and California) in NE MPLS. Everything
is being offered SO cheap that this fine art cultural fire sale flee
market is a BYOB affair, HEY pick up some cheese too, eh and make it
local, will ya?

--------4 of 20--------

From: "ikes [at] minnesotaikes.org" <reply [at] mnlcv.org>
Subject: Wetlands summit 2.03 8am

Second Annual Wetlands Summit
Normandale Community College
Bloomington, Minnesota
February 3, 2007
8:00 AM to 5:30 PM

THEME: Cultivating a Minnesota Land Ethic

This second annual Wetlands Summit, as was its predecessor, is an
outgrowth of the Rally for Ducks, Wetlands and Clean Water held on two
occasions on the State Capitol grounds in April of 2005 and 2006. The
Rally called for holding a Wetlands Summit to review current programs and
problems, identify corrective measures needed, and to help establish a
common ground between the wetland conservation and agricultural
communities.

In keeping with this directive, the Summit Organizational Committee
advances this revised Mission Statement:

Minnesota's second Wetlands Summit recognizes the importance of a
sustainable land ethic in achieving a sound balance between agricultural
programs and the vitality of wetlands, clean water and suitable habitat
for fish and wildlife. It also recognizes the probability that profound
climate change may irreversibly alter the lands and waters that sustain us
all. The 2007 Summit will review accomplishments of the past year,
identify common ground for the agricultural and conservation communities,
review the scope of the 2007 Farm Bill and provide recommendations,
present an overview on climate change and its potential impacts, and
encourage individuals and organizations to work collectively to achieve
changes desired.

The morning session will provide a summary of accomplishments since the
2006 Summit, ponder whether a conservation based land ethic is achievable,
review key issues in the 2007 Farm Bill and provide for open discussion.
The luncheon speaker will address climate change and its potential effect
on agriculture, fish and wildlife habitat and water quality/quantity. The
afternoon session will be devoted to an interactive Farm Bill Forum, and
culminate in recommendations for collective and individual action,
recognizing that a united front by agricultural and conservation interests
is an absolute requirement for success.

The Summit is a cooperative effort sponsored by the Izaak Walton League of
America, National Wildlife Federation, The Nature Conservancy, Audubon
Minnesota, Minnesota Conservation Federation, Minnesota Waterfowl
Association, Ducks Unlimited, Minnesota, Outdoor Heritage Alliance, Fish
and Wildlife Legislative Alliance, Minnesota Center for Environmental
Advocacy, Sierra Club, Land Stewardship Project, Minnesota Department of
Natural Resources, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

There will be a registration fee of $25.00 per person, with a reduced fee
of $l5.00 for certified students. The fee will include a continental
breakfast, morning and afternoon refreshments and a noon lunch in the
College cafeteria. Free parking is available. Request a registration form
by emailing to receive your registration form or go to Summit Announcement
& Registration.pdf
<http://www.minnesotaikes.org/Mainpages/07WetlandsSummitAnnc_Registratio
n.pdf> to download the announcement and form. Pre registration is strongly
advised. The deadline for pre registering is January 26, 2007.

The following organizations are participating in this campaign: Audubon
Minnesota Izaak Walton League of America--Minnesota Division

--------5 of 20--------

From: Florence Steichen <steichenfm [at] usfamily.net>
Subject: Mideast peace now 2.03 9:30am

MIDDLE EAST PEACE NOW
Presents Dr. Khaldoun Samman
"Healing Injured Identities and
the Negation of Colonialist Discourse"

Professor Samman will explore the highly racialized construct of
"progress" which suggests that the "West" and Israel are at the center of
world history, and thus are the sole narrators of modernity, democracy and
pluralism.  According to Samman, this discourse is at the root of the
negative environment we are living in today.  He will offer a few voices
of hope for the future.  Dr. Khaldoun Samman was born in Zarqa, Jordan and
came to the U.S. at a young age.  He is an assistant professor of
sociology at Macalester College in St. Paul, MN.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2007
9:30 a.m. Refreshments
10:00 a.m. Presentation and Discussion

SOUTHDALE HENNEPIN COUNTY LIBRARY - 2nd Floor
7001 York Ave. S., Edina, MN
For information call Florence Steichen, 651-696-1642

--------6 of 20--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: NWN4P demos 2.03 11am

There are now two NWN4P weekly demonstrations as follows:

1.
NWN4P-Plymouth demonstration- Every Saturday, 11 AM to noon, along
Vinewood, just north of 42nd Ave.  and one block east of 494 in
Plymouth. Drive toward the Rainbow and Target Greatland on Vinewood,
turn right by Bakers Square and right again into the parking lot near
the sidewalk.  Bring your own sign or use ours.

2.
NWN4P-Minnetonka demonstration- Every Saturday, 11 AM to noon, at Hwy. 7
and 101.  Park in the Target Greatland lot; meet near the entrance
fountain. Bring your own signs or use ours.

--------7 of 20--------

From: wamm <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: US v Bush 2.03 11:30am

"United States V. George W. Bush, et al.:" Elizabeth de la Vega Talk
Saturday, February 3, 11:30 a.m. 2615 Park Avenue South, Minneapolis.

A presentation to a Grand Jury of a Theoretical Case against the
Defendants George W. Bush, Richard B. Cheney, Condoleeza Rice, Donald M.
Rumsfeld and Colin Powell based on a one-count indictment: Conspiracy to
Defraud the United States by misrepresenting the case for the War in Iraq.
Book signing, reception and lunch follow. $10.00 or more suggested
donation. Sponsored by: WAMM Book Club. RSVP: 612-827-5364.

--------8 of 20--------

From: Debbie <ddo [at] mchsi.com>
Subject: Living Green conf 2.03 12noon Duluth MN

Living Green Conference Grows Bigger and Better Every Year
Theme of Fifteenth Conference Combating Global Warming

Fifteen years ago the Lake Superior Greens held an event at the Peace
Church in Duluth to give the community an opportunity to learn more about
sustainable living and environmental issues. It was a way for activists to
network and also simply have a good time. There were ten workshops,
children's activities, and an environmental play put on by the kids. "We
had about fifty people attend," remembers Jan Conley, a longtime Green and
the board president of the Environmental Association for Great Lakes
Education (EAGLE).

As the conference continued to grow, EAGLE stepped in to co-organize. In
recent years the event has attracted nationally known keynote speakers
such as Love Canal activist Lois Gibbs, UC Berkley researcher Dr. Tyrone
Hayes, and Air America radio personality Al Franken. Last year's
conference was attended by 700 people.

On February 3rd, 2007 the 15th annual Living Green Conference will focus
on combating Global Warming.  Arctic explorer Lonnie Dupre, who recently
made the first ever summer excursion to the North Pole, is this year's
keynote speaker.  With his partner Eric Anderson, Dupre undertook this
dangerous expedition to call the world's attention to the damaging effects
of Global Warming. On the trip they took samples and measurements for
scientists at the National Snow and Ice Data Center and the University of
Washington.

"The changes here are more severe than we could have possibly ever
imagined," Lonnie reported from the North Pole on July 1, 2006. "The
thinning Arctic ice sheet and potential extinction of the polar bear are
not isolated events; global warming knows no political or physical
boundaries. Droughts, sea level rise, and increased frequency and severity
of storms are just a few of the many consequences of inaction."

Lonnie is the also the author of Greenland Expedition - Where Ice is Born,
which he wrote after circumnavigating the entire country (6,500 miles) by
kayak and dogsled.  He has traveled through Siberia and Arctic Canada. He
was awarded the Soviet Sportsman Medal for Arctic exploration in 1989,
after completing a 1,200-mile dog sled and ski trip with a joint Russian
and American team, promoting cooperation between the two superpowers as
the Cold War was coming to an end.

"The Conference isn't all dire predictions and frightening facts. It's
about solutions. It's about taking action," said Living Green Coordinator
Carrie Slater Duffy. One workshop, entitled Global Warming - What You Can
Do outlines the simple steps individuals can take to lessen their carbon
footprint. Another workshop will be presented by the Solar Oven Society,
an organization that sells quality solar cookware in the US and with the
proceeds sends more solar ovens to developing nations. This eliminates the
need to cut down trees for fuel, and reduces greenhouse gases.

There will also be Energy Star® compact fluorescent light bulbs for sale
for one dollar each, after an instant rebate from Minnesota Power.
According to StopGlobalWarming.org, if every American household replaced
just three incandescent light bulbs with the new compact fluorescent, it
would be the equivalent of taking 3.5 million cars off the road, saving
300 pounds of carbon dioxide and $60 a year.

So mark your calendars for Saturday, February 3rd! The 15th annual Living
Green Conference will take place at the First United Methodist "Coppertop"
Church from noon to 5:00pm. Advanced tickets will be sold for $8 at the
Green Mercantile and Positively Third Street Bakery in Duluth, Red Mug
Espresso in Superior, and Black Cat Coffee House in Ashland. Tickets are
$10 at the door.

For more information contact EAGLE at 218-726-1828, email
carrie [at] eagle-ecosource.org, or go to www.eagle-ecosource.org.