Progressive Calendar 12.20.06
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 03:24:26 -0800 (PST)

1. Racial equity rpt 12.20 12noon
2. Labor caroling    12.20 12noon
3. Best books/2006   12.20 12noon
4. Bridge vigil      12.20 4:30pm
5. Living wage       12.20 5:30pm

6. Eagan peace vigil 12.21 4:30pm
7. Northtown vigil   12.21 5pm
8. Intersex/fruit    12.21 7pm
9. Metsa/music/food  12.21 7pm

10. Green Party/MN     - Sentencing of Dean Zimmermann
11. Dave Bicking       - Zimmermann sentencing
12. Alexander Cockburn - Democrats prepare to fund longer war
13. ed                 - Roll rich man up hill  (poem)

--------1 of 13--------

From: Unny Nambudiripad <unny [at] metrostability.org>
Subject: Racial equity rpt 12.20 12noon

We are holding our next roundtable on The Minnesota Legislative Report
Card on Racial Equity.  It will be held on Wednesday, December 20 at Noon
at the office of the Alliance for Metropolitan Stability, 2525 Franklin
Avenue East, Suite 200.

The report card, published by the Organizing Apprenticeship Project,
assesses the performance of the Minnesota Legislature and the governor
during the 2005-2006 biennium on policies that address and strengthen
racial equity and opportunity in the state. It also assesses legislative
efforts that strengthen American Indian tribal sovereignty.

Jermaine Toney from the Organizing Apprenticeship Project will lead this
engaging discussion about race and public policy.  Please follow this
link: http://www.metrostability.org/news/article.php?id=53 for more
details, and please let me know if you can attend.

Unny Nambudiripad Organizer, Alliance for Metropolitan Stability Phone:
612-332-4471 / Fax: 612-338-2194 unny [at] metrostability.org /
www.metrostability.org 2525 Franklin Ave E, Suite 200, Minneapolis, MN
55406

--------2 of 13--------

From: Minneapolis Central Labor Union Council <betsy [at] mplscluc.com>
Subject: Labor caroling 12.20 12noon

Join with Local 9 members for some singing (see attached flyer) with
Caroling to Remove the Cap - Because Santa's workshop can't make toys
without the elves .

We'll sing some holiday songs that have been slightly re-done to reflect
not only the joy of the season, but our strong desire to remove the wage
cap that we've been living with for four long years.
Wednesday, Dec. 20th at 12 ( Noon )
Minneapolis City Hall Rotunda by the Father of Waters statue
Wear your hat and scarf
Song sheets will be provided
Singing on-key not required [whew!]

--------3 of 13--------

From writeonradio [at] yahoo.com Tue Dec 19 22:22:24 2006
Subject: Best books/2006 12.20 12noon

Wednesday December 20th
Noon. Central Book Chats. Librarian Erin Zolotukhin-Ridgway will close
out the year with a discussion of the best books of 2006, and takes a
sneak peek at some 2007 titles. St. Paul Central Library, 90 W. 4th St.,
St. Paul.

--------4 of 13--------

From: wamm <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Bridge vigil 12.20 4:30pm

Vigil to End the Occupation of Iraq: December is Critical!
Wednesday, December 20, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. (this is an ongoing vigil) Lake
Street/Marshall Avenue Bridge, spanning the Mississippi River between
Minneapolis and St. Paul. Come to Marshall Avenue (St. Paul) side of the
bridge so that we can greet you.

--------5 of 13--------

From:"Ryan Greenwood" <Ryan [at] takeactionminnesota.org>
Subject: Living wage 12.20 5:30pm

Saint Paul Living Wage Public Hearing
Wednesday December 20th 5:30pm
Saint Paul City Council Chambers 3rd Floor
15 Kellogg Blvd West, Saint Paul

Background: After a two year campaign, TakeAction Minnesota and the Saint
Paul Living Wage Coalition are close to passing a strong Living Wage
Ordinance in the Saint Paul City Council. But we need your help to pass
it! Our proposed living wage ordinance would;

Cover companies that get significant subsidies or contracts from the City
of Saint Paul

Make those companies pay a living wage of $12.52/hr or enough to feed a
family of four without foodstamps

Minneapolis and over 100 cities around the country already have a strong
living wage law. By passing a Living Wage Ordinance over the next couple
of weeks, Saint Paul will join them in making sure that your taxdollars do
not subsidize poverty wage jobs. Large businesses will be speaking out
against a strong living wage law, so we need a strong community turnout to
make sure your council members know that Saint Paul supports a Living
Wage! With questions contact: Ryan Greenwood, TakeAction Minnesota,
651-379-0742 or Ryan [at] TakeActionMinnesota.org.

Companies who recieve your tax dollars should pay their workers enough to
feed their families!

[No, actually it is the duty of all the rabble (us) to support the
glorious golden leisure class in the no-tomorrow manner to which they have
become addicted.  Anything less, and they will get pissed, really pissed.
You don't want to be around when a billionaire vents one billion dollars
worth of pissed-off-ness. Billionaires are like parking meters - keep
filling the slot, or it's the impound lot for you. FEED ME!! they cry.
(They like young virgins best.) -ed]

--------6 of 13--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <skograce [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 12.21 4:30pm

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 12.21 5pm

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Intersex/fruit 12.21 7pm

Intersex and Identity on Fresh Fruit. Join Dixie Treichel and John
Townsend on KFAI RADIO'sFresh Fruit Thursday, December 21 from 7 pm to 8
pm for a special show exploring intersexuality with guest Dr. Sharon E.
Preves, noted Sociologist, Hamline University Professor, and Author of the
book Intersex and Identity: The Contested Self.

KFAI RADIO 90.3 fm Mpls 106.7fm St Paul www.kfai.org

--------9 of 13--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Metsa/music/food 12.21 7pm

THUR.DEC.21:Paul Metsa's HOLIDAY Show & Food Drive

8th Annual Holiday on Ice Cubes
Thursday, Dec. 21
Columbia Grounds Coffee Shop, 3101 Central Av. NE (612-781-7873)
Paul Metsa and Friends brought to you by MaximumFolk.com

This is Paul's 8th Annual Food-fundraiser for the NE Seniors Foodshelf. It
will feature an intimate setting with Paul and some friends playing
acoustic music from 7-10pm. Donations of food and money welcome. Always a
great time.