AFTERWAR Exhibit & Gatherings at Minnesota Center for Photography
From: Kaia Hemming (kaiamncp.org)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:17:01 -0800 (PST)
MCP exhibit AFTERWAR: Veterans from a World in Conflict by New York based photographer Lori Grinker

+ AFTERWAR Gatherings

Thursdays, 6 â 8 p.m.

+ AFTERWAR: Veterans from a World in Conflict

Exhibit Dates: November 4, 2006 â January 7, 2007

Featuring photographs and interviews by Lori Grinker

Image credit: Lori Grinker, Dani Shimoni (born 1960, served 1982-1985 Israeli Defense Forces) in the pool at Beit Halochem, (Warriors Home) in Tel Aviv

Lori Grinkerâs AFTERWAR is a 15-year project of photographs and interviews, documenting the physical and psychological wounds of frontline war veterans and other survivors, from World War I to the present-day war in Iraq. Grinkerâs photographs transcend the personal tragedy of these individuals to become something universally symbolic and understood.

During this exhibit, we wish to invite the community to join us in discussion about these effects. As part of this discussion, we are hosting AFTERWAR Gatherings on Thursday evenings from 6 â 8 p.m. for the duration of the exhibition. This gathering is open to both veterans and non-veterans and will be an opportunity to share their personal stories.

Last Friday we were honored to have Lori Grinker and front-line veterans Chante Wolf (who is associated with the organization Veterans for Peace, is especially interested in speaking with high school students) and Andrew Borene speak, with Paul McEnroe from the Star Tribune as the moderator. This Thursday November 16, Lori Grinker will join us again.

We are interested in having your group come and see the show, as well as take part in our discussion. Thursday evenings are open to all and will continue until January 4, 2007. We can also arrange for groups to come to the gallery and have veterans speak with them.

MCPâs mission is to support and promote the creation and appreciation of photographic arts.

Since 1990, the Minnesota Center for Photography has enriched the Twin Cities cultural landscape and provided a unique focus for photographic artists and photography enthusiasts. As the leading regional photography center, MCPâs mission is to support and promote the creation and appreciation of photographic arts.

MCP is located at 165 13th Avenue NE, between Marshall and University, just north of Broadway in the Northeast Minneapolis Arts District. Gallery Hours are 12 - 5 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday, with extended hours on Thursday from 12 - 8 p.m. Admission to the gallery is free, though a $3 donation is suggested. Further information and directions can be found at www.mncp.org

For further information or to schedule a group visit please contact Kaia Hemming, Development and Communications Coordinator at kaia [at] mncp.org or 612.824.5500.

Kaia Hemming
Development and Communications Coordinator
kaia [at] mncp.org

Minnesota Center for Photography
165 13th Ave NE
Minneapolis, MN 55413
612.824.5500
www.mncp.org

To support and promote the creation and appreciation of photographic arts.