Progressive Calendar 10.23.06
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 05:04:22 -0700 (PDT)

1. Hire/criminal rec    10.23 10am
2. Togo/human rights    10.23 12noon
3. Stadium actions      10.23 5:30pm/8:40pm
4. US empire 101        10.23 5:30pm
5. GOTV for IRV         10.23 6pm
6. Afghanistan          10.23 6:30pm
7. Progressive religion 10.23 7pm
8. IRV info sessions    10.23 7pm
9. LWV/voting           10.23 7pm
10. Pentel/gov/TV       10.23 11pm
11. Mortenson/64A/SPNN  10.23 11pm

12. Climate change conf 10.24 8am
13. KFAI/Lydia Howell   10.24 11am
14. Stadium action      10.24 12noon
15. Media malculture/TV 10.24 5pm
16. Mortenson/64A       10.24 5:30pm
17. Salon/poetry        10.24 6:30pm
18. Zapatista coffee    10.24 7pm
19. New Minnesotans     10.24 7pm
20. CIW solidarity      10.24 7pm
21. Vote/judges         10.24 7pm
22. US Judaism +/-      10.24 7:30pm

23. Greg Palast   - Recipe for a cooked election
24. Jan Baughman  - Change the course
25. Louis Proyect - Thoughts on the US midterm elections
26. ed            - All the little Dems (poem)

--------1 of 26--------

From: Guy Gambill <gambillgt1 [at] yahoo.com>
Subject: Hire/criminal rec 10.23 10am

Fair Hiring Practices For People With A Criminal Justice Record
Pipeline Report For The Community
At The Minneapolis Urban League North
2100 Plymouth Avenue South Minneapolis, MN 55411
Support Council Members Elizabeth Glidden and Don Samuels
OCTOBER 23rd, 10:00 am to 12:00

Currently, there are over 9,000 Minnesotans incarcerated in our state
prison system. According to the Minnesota Department of Corrections, a
further 126,700 people were on probation or parole in 2004. An estimated
250,000 Minnesotans have a felony conviction on their records and an
unknown, but larger number have a misdemeanor conviction.

In accordance with Chapter 364 of the Minnesota Statutes, people with a
conviction record cannot be discriminated against when they apply for
public employment. Applicants must also be accorded the opportunity to
provide evidence of rehabilitation.

In both Minneapolis and St. Paul, an effort is underway to introduce
Resolutions that would significantly improve the hiring practices for
persons with a criminal record. This is part of a national effort with
precedents in San Francisco, Boston, LA, and Chicago.

JOIN US IN SUPPORT OF THIS EFFORT!

Sponsored by: Council on Crime and Justice, Minneapolis Urban League,
Al-Furqan Institute, RS Eden, Salvation Army, African- American Family
Services, MN Black Lawyer's Association, Affirmative Options, Barbara
Schneider Foundation, Women Planting Seeds, AMICUS, Twin Cities RISE!

Please RSVP to: Cheryl Morgan-Spencer at cmspencer [at] mul.org Guy Gambill at
612-596-7628, gambillg [at] crimeandjustice.org

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Togo/human rights 10.23 12noon

Monday, 10/23, noon to 1:30 pm, Togolese human rights activist Paul Amla
speaks on "Human Rights and Its Violation in Togo," 110 Heller Hall, U of M,
Mpls.  zhang429 [at] umn.edu