Progressive Calendar 10.15.06
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 02:51:49 -0700 (PDT)

1. Religious violence    10.15 1pm
2. Green Gov/houseparty  10.15 2pm
3. Anti-stadium          10.15 2pm
4. Amnesty International 10.15 3pm
5. YAWR/plan march       10.15 3pm
6. Vote fraud            10.15 3pm
7. Palestine             10.15 4pm
8. KFAI/Indian           10.15 4pm
9. IRV lit drop/         10.15 6:30pm
10. Antisemitism?        10.15 7pm
11. Coffee farm/film     10.15 7pm
12. Venezuela benefit    10.15 8pm

13. John Walsh  - Election 2006: the fix is already in
14. Mickey Z.   - Eroding freedom: from John Adams to George W. Bush
15. J VanBergen - Soulless new world

--------1 of 16--------

From: August Berkshire <augustberkshire [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Religious violence 10.15 1pm

1pm - Hector Avalos "Fighting Words: The Origins of Religious Violence"

Professor Hector Avalos, author of  Fighting Words: The Origins of
Religious Violence, will be speaking at the Minnesota Atheists meeting
this Sunday afternoon at the Roseville Public Library.

Prof. Avalos views the problem of religious violence from a new angle:
that of scarce resources.  That humans fight over demonstrably scarce
resources, such as food, money, oil, and land, is understandable, if
regrettable.  However, that humans fight over "spiritual" resources, such
as "salvation," "holy books," or "holy land," is inexcusable.

Dr. Hector Avalos is Associate Professor of Religious Studies at Iowa
State University in Ames, Iowa.  His talk was one of the highlights at the
Atheist Alliance International convention in Kansas City this past spring.

Minnesota Atheists will have copies of his book for sale at the meeting
(hardcover $30).  Prof. Avalos will sign books after his talk.

Afterwards, at 4 p.m., those who wish can join us for dinner at the Panda
Garden Buffet.

---------------------------------
Sunday, Oct. 15, 2006

Meeting: 1:00-3:30 p.m.
Roseville Public Library
2180 Hamline Ave. N.
(Hamline Ave. & Co. Rd. B)
Roseville, MN 55113
1:00 - 1:30 p.m. - Social time.
1:30 - 2:30 p.m. - Presentation.
2:30 - 2:45 p.m. - Break & Book signing.
2:45 - 3:30 p.m. - Business.

Dinner: 4:00 p.m.
Panda Garden Buffet
1706 Lexington Ave. N.
(Lexington Ave. & Larpenteur Ave.)
Roseville, MN 55113
(Cost: $8.78 + tax)

--------2 of 16--------

From: tom [at] organicconsumers.org
Subject: Green Gov/houseparty 10.15 2pm

The election is coming right up and now is a good time to find out why The
Green's have a candidate in the governor's race and why you should vote
for him.

This Sunday, October 15th Ginny Sutton and Steve French and hosting a
house party in support of Ken Pentel and Danene Provencher's run for
Governor and LT. Governor.  Starts at 2:PM - Come find out why it is STILL
vital to vote Green this November.

Fundraising House Party for the Green Party endorsed candidates Ken Pentel
and Danene Provencher. Sunday, October 15, 2-4 p.m. Home of Ginny Sutton
and Steve French, 340-23rd Avenue Northeast. Questions?  call 612-781-1516
or 612-824-8492.

Unable to attend the house party? Send your donation to: Ken Pentel for
Governor, P.O. Box 583091, Minneapolis, MN 55458-3091. Thank you.

For more than 20 years Ken Pentel has worked tirelessly as a community
activist and organizer. He brings a fresh perspective to the Governor's
race in 2006.

Ken's Vision for Minnesota:

Stable, livable-wage jobs
Single-payer healthcare to cover all Minnesotans
Increased funding for education
Affordable low-cost housing
Clean water, air and soil
Clean publicly financed elections
Instant Runoff Voting
Proportional Representation
Corporate accountability
Rewards for efficient and sustainable energy
Tax breaks for local family farmers and organic agriculture
An economically and ethnically diverse administration

Ken Pentel for Governor
P.O. Box 583091
Minneapolis, MN 55458-3091
Kristina Gronquist, Treasurer

--------3 of 16--------

From: Gayle Bonneville <catspj [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: Anti-stadium 10.15 2pm

"Vote the bums out" fundraiser on Oct. 15

The Citizens Against Stadium Taxes (CAST) will hold a fundraiser "Vote The
Bums Out'' with music and entertainment at Stub & Herb's bar at 227 Oak
St. S.E. in Minneapolis. The event will be from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday,
Oct. 15.

CAST will use the funds raised to defeat Hennepin County commissioners
Mark Stenglein and Peter McLaughlin of Minneapolis and Mike Opat of
Robinsdale in the general election. It will be on Tuesday, Nov. 7

The three men and Commissioner Randy Johnson of Bloomington, who isn't up
for reelection, sought and got from the Minnesota Legislature an exception
to the state law requiring a voter referendum for a sales tax. Legislators
gave them permission to levy a tax without a referendum to build a new
Minnesota Twins stadium. The tax would raise more than $1 billion in
public funds over 30 years to build a stadium. There is no end date on the
tax. According to Forbes Magazine, Twins owner Carl Pohlad is one of the
richest men in America, with a net worth of nearly $3 billion dollars.
Donations may be mailed to CAST at 6820 Wooddale Ave. So., Edina, Mn.
55435, or contributed at the fundraiser. The chairman of CAST is Dr. Laura
Lehmann, an Edina physician. Her e-mail is ljlehmann [at] pobox.com.

http://www.pulsetc.com/article.php?sid=2756

---
From: Dave Bicking <dave [at] colorstudy.com>

Yes, we're still at it.  The tax has been passed.  But we can still make
the November election OUR referendum on the Twins stadium tax.  So we're
working to get rid of the three pro-stadium County Commissioners:  Peter
McLaughlin, Mark Stenglein, and Mike Opat.  And it's not just for revenge
(though that would be sweet):  If we can unseat any one of these, the new
County Board could have a 4 to 3 majority AGAINST the stadium tax - they
could still repeal the tax and stop the construction of the stadium.

We CAN defeat these commissioners, but to do it we need VOLUNTEERS and we
need MONEY.  First, the money:

*** Sunday, October 15, 2:00 - 6:00pm.  Fundraiser party to raise money
for CAST (Citizens Against Stadium Taxes).  Music and other entertainment.
At Stub & Herb's Bar, U of M East Bank campus on the NE corner of Oak St.
and Washington Ave.  (227 Oak St. SE, Mpls)  Suggested donation $20, but
we'll take whatever (more or less) that you can afford or want to give.

It will be a fun party with like-minded folks from all political parties.
We'll have two local stand-up comedians.  Eskit will perform a few of his
great satirical songs.  And my band, Nice Driveway, will be playing a
variety of fun dance music (waltzes, polkas, Eastern European and Klezmer,
maybe even a tango).

We will also be playing some video clips: the "best of" the public hearing
testimony.  These are not to be missed - passionate, articulate, sometimes
funny as well.  The voice of the people is a wonderful thing!

Please come.  This is family-friendly despite being in a bar.  If you
can't come, you can send donations to:

Citizens Against Stadium Taxes   <--(make check out to C.A.S.T.)
6820 Wooddale Avenue South
Edina, MN  55346

Money will be used for printing literature which we are distributing
in the three County Commissioner's districts.  Which brings me to:

VOLUNTEERS

Yes, you!  We need as much help as possible to get the word out.  This is
how elections are won.  The magnitude of our impact is almost totally
dependent on how many people are willing to spend how much time to
distribute the literature.

We have already started our lit drops.  We have the literature printed,
and we have maps and directions to guide you.  I'll tell you more in a
later email.  For now, if you have the time and inclination, please call
me at 612-276-1213 and I'll get you going.

This is easy to do - it is not like door-knocking where you actually have
to talk to people.  We just need you to go from door to door leaving our
literature.  In suburban areas, you can drive from house to house, leaving
literature tucked into the newspaper boxes.  So you don't even have to be
athletic!

I know that many of you are already working hard on other campaigns, and I
don't want to take you away from that.  But if you have some time and
energy to spare, please consider helping us.

Citizens Against Stadium Taxes is an independent political committee, not
connected to any candidate's campaign.  Of course, our efforts help the
campaigns of these Commissioners' opponents, including Farheen Hakeem, the
Green Party opponent of Peter McLaughlin.

Please help us bring accountability to these County Commissioners who so
richly deserve it.

Dave Bicking 612-276-1213

--------4 of 16--------

From: Gabe Ormsby <gabeo [at] bitstream.net>
Subject: Amnesty International 10.15 3pm

GROUP 37 OCTOBER MEETING REMINDER: SUNDAY, OCTOBER 15TH - 3 TO 5 P.M.

Join Group 37 for our regular meeting on Sunday, October 15th, from 3:00
to 5:00 p.m.

This month's meeting will focus on final planning for our anniversary
celebration and forum coming up on October 27th. If you would like to play
a role in making that event a success, stop by to see how you can help.

All are welcome at the meeting, and refreshments will be provided.

Location: Center for Victims of Torture, 717 E. River Rd. SE, Minneapolis
(corner of E. River Rd. and Oak St.). Park on street or in the small lot
behind the center (the Center is a house set back on a large lawn).

A map and directions are available on-line:
http://www.twincitiesamnesty.org/meetings.html.

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: YAWR/plan march 10.15 3pm

Sunday, 10/15, 3 pm, YAWR meeting to plan the big march on 10/28, Ty's
house, 3024 Chicago Ave, Mpls.  www.yawr.org