Progressive Calendar 10.01.06
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 06:22:54 -0700 (PDT)

1. Green Party fun    10.01 2pm
2. Mortenson campaign 10.01 2pm
3. Kid's cabaret      10.01 2pm
4. Czech republic     10.01 2pm
5. Social justice     10.01 2pm
6. KFAI/Indian        10.01 4pm
7. Peace concert      10.01 6:30pm
8. WalMart/yuk/film   10.01 7pm
9. Bioneers/register  10.01

10. AlliantACTION     10.02 7am
11. Oppose Bridges    10.02 6pm
12. Pental campaign   10.02 7pm
13. Global warm/film  10.02 7pm

14. Marjorie Cohn - A constitutional shredding: rounding up U.S. citizens
15. Ralph Nader   - White House on a rampage against the Constitution
16. P C Roberts   - How the US government planned America's downfall
17. Dave Lindorff - "America": new lyrics for a New Dark Age

--------1 of 17--------

From: drashleyjames <ajames123 [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: Green Party fun 10.01 2pm

Green Party Fun Day!! 10.01.06

Fundraiser for the GP candidates on October 1
at Wildwood Park in Mahtomedi, MN , from 2-6 pm.
1 Old Wildwood Road
Mahtomedi, MN

The park is beautiful with trails, fire pits, gorgeous flora and fauna. We
will meet at the Wildwod Park Picnic shelter.

For directions to the park, use this link:
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?do=nw&go=1&r=f&aoh=&aot=&aof=&1a=621%20W%20LAKE%20ST&1c=MINNEAPOLIS&1s=MN&1z=55408%2d2949&1y=US&1l=FsCEhT%2b2b7s%3d&1g=otbTK0722Yg%3d&1pn=&1pl=&1v=ADDRESS&1ffi=&1n=HENNEPIN%20COUNTY&1qn=&2a=&2c=Mahtomedi&2s=MN&2z=&2y=US&2l=XLiQwZss4jU%3d&2g=8Z0cB3X26vk%3d&2pl=&2v=CITY&2ffi=&2n=Washington%20County&2qn=wildwood%20park&panelbtn=2&1qc=&q=wildwood%20park&2pn=wildwood%20park&2sb=Wildwood%20Park%7c1%20Old%20Wildwood%20Rd%7cSaint%20Paul%7cMN%7c55115%7c450507%7c%2d929644
%7c%7cUS&2qc=Parks

There is a sizeable parking lot, and no charge to enter the park. There
will be a $15 door charge that will go directly to the campaign/s of your
choice (12 and under free).

There will be a group yoga workshop, led by our own Paul Busch,
storytelling, Native American Drummers, and perhaps some acoustic folk
music. There will be food provided (and folks are encouraged to bring a
dish to share.) Grills are available. We'll have a keg of Root Beer, and a
sugar free option. If you want to bring beer or wine, you are welcome to
bring your own.

The GP candidates will make appearances that day. It's going to be a
wonderfully relaxing, rejuvenating, fun, community centered, family
friendly event!

I am hoping some wonderful Green volunteers will step up to help out with
the event. We need about four to volunteer with set-up, break-down. Also,
a door person, and help with serving food.

Please contact me if you can volunteer to help!
Kristen Olson 651-210-0789

--------2 of 17--------

From: Jesse Mortenson for 64A <jesse [at] jessemortenson.com>
Subject: Mortenson campaign 10.01 2pm

Dear Friends,

The maxim of any campaign for office is: it's never been closer to the
election than it is today. With each day, it gets more important to get
out and talk to people face-to-face, to let them know how much we can do
together to transform the landscape of Minnesota politics. I firmly
believe that we'll only turn back the budget cuts, the close calls with
destructive policy proposals, and the lack of progressive momentum by
working around the calendar to involve ordinary people in principled,
grassroots politics.

Nearly a month before the election, I need your help to broaden our reach
so we can get out the vote across the district. We've got two new tools to
do it:

    Deliver our new literature piece to key precincts
    2pm this Sunday, Oct. 1
    Cahoots Coffee Bar (1562 Selby Ave)

Join us to walk through a neighborhood and deliver our new, color flyer
for a couple of hours. Are you already booked this Sunday? E-mail
paul [at] jessemortenson.com and we'll make sure you get a kit to deliver
literature on your schedule.

Anybody interested in helping hand some flyers out and make a little bit
of a visible appearance at the "Stop the Merchants of Death" conference
organized by a number of left/anti-war folks that will be at St. Thomas
this weekend? http://www.warresisters.org/smod/smod_hp.shtml
Specifically, at the rally Sunday night (6:00pm or so) at St. Kate's.

    Donate to support our district-wide mailing
    We can take up to $500, and you may qualify for a $50 refund
    find out how: http://www.jessemortenson.com/contribute

We need to raise $1900 to get a mailing to every household in the district
close to the election, so we can give everyone a chance to vote for
universal, single-payer health care, keeping jobs with local businesses in
our communities, and human rights for immigrants in Minnesota. Can you
help?

Finally, I'm proud to announce our first debate for our final slate of 64A
candidates. It will be held at 7:45pm on October 12 at the Linwood
Community Center, by the Summit Hill Association. Hope to see you there!
We're working on establishing a few more debates - e-mail
paul [at] jessemortenson.com if your community or advocacy organization might
be interested!

Sincerely, Jesse Mortenson Green Party Candidate for Minnesota House of
Representatives District 64A www.jessemortenson.com

Please contact Jesse (651-442-5734) directly if you're able to help out.

--------3 of 17--------

From: April Sellers <april [at] patrickscabaret.org>
Subject: Kid's cabaret 10.01 2pm

Come to the first ever Cabaret for Kids
at Patrick's Cabaret
Sunday October First, 2006
2-3:15pm
3010 Minnehaha Ave Minneapolis

tickets $8 at the door ($7 for 12 and under)
$6 in advance from the artists ($5 for 12 and under)

Paulino hosts the first Cabaret 4 Kids at Patrick's Cabaret. Voyages
to distant places, boats, puppets, dragons, Chinese dancers, storytelling
and more!

Starring:
Paulino Brener
        barcos de papel - paper boats (excerpt)
Clint Jackson Baker The Prince of Fun! Presents
        The Adventures of Gallant Lad (excerpt)
Margo McCreary
        Fool Circle (excerpt)
Twin Cities Chinese Dance Center
        "A Dragon Odyssey"

--------4 of 17--------

From: humanrts [at] umn.edu
Subject: Czech republic 10.01 2pm

October 1 - Martin Palous: Role of the Czech Republic and Other Small
States in the Sea of Large Nations.  Time: 2:00 p.m.. Cost: $5 donation.

Ambassador from the Czech Republic to the UN Martin Palous speaks on "Role
of the Czech Republic and Other Small States in the Sea of Large Nations."

FFI: www.micglobe.org
Location: CSPS Sokol Hall, 2nd floor, 383 Michigan Street, St. Paul.

--------5 of 17--------

From: David A. Greene <greened [at] obbligato.org>
Subject: Social justice 10.01 2pm

Sunday, Oct. 1, ISAIAH will hold a large public meeting and action in St.
Paul called "Faith in Democracy: Renewing the Promise."  ISAIAH is an
interfaith coalition of churches in the metro and St. Cloud that advocate
on issues of social justice.

We will be gathering a large number of people together with our public
officials and candidates to put forward an opportunity agenda to
strengthen our communities and make shared abundance a reality.

The event is from 2-4pm Oct. 1 at St. Pascal Baylon Catholic church (1757
Conway St., right on White Bear Ave. just a few blocks north of I-94).

ISAIAH has four regional legislative issues we are tackling and will be
active on during the 2007 session:

- Increased funding for public education
- Increased funding for public transit
- Funding for services and resources for victims of domestic violence
- Civil rights for immigrants

This St. Paul meeting is one of 7 meetings happening in the metro and
St. Cloud.   The St. Paul meeting will include a focus on two important
issues relevant to the city:

- The living wage ordinance
- The opportunity to use federal transportation dollars to provide
   construction job training and career possibilities to low-income and
   disadvantaged people.  These are good, well-paying careers.

Mayor Coleman will be there along with several candidates for the many
offices that are up for election this year.  Several members of the city
council will be there as well.

This is your opportunity to join your voice with many others to tell
our political leaders that these issues matter, that we want to build
a more just society.

Please let me know if you are interested in attending.  I'm happy to
answer any questions off-list.

If you want to support our neighbors in Minneapolis as well, they are
holding their own meeting Oct. 8 from 3-5pm at Westminster Presbyterian
Church, 1200 Marquette Ave. in Minneapolis.

David Greene The Wedge, Minneapolis More info:
http://forums.e-democracy.org/stpaul/contacts/davidgreene

--------6 of 17--------

From: Chris Spotted Eagle <chris [at] spottedeagle.org>
Subject: KFAI/Indian 10.01 4pm

KFAI's Indian Uprising for October 1st

PART 3 - COWBOYS AND INDIANS: TOYS OF GENOCIDE, ICONS OF AMERCIAN
COLONIALISM (essay) by Michael Yellow Bird , a Sahnish and Hidatsa First
Nations citizen.  Colonialism is the invasion, subjugation, and occupation
of one people by another.  In Postcolonialism: An Historical Introduction
(2001), Robert J. C. Young concludes that the United States of America,
the world¹s last remaining significant colonial power, continues to
dominate external territories without the consent of the indigenous
inhabitants. However, one does not have to go abroad to analyze the
practice of American colonialism since the exploitation and control of
Indigenous Peoples in the United States continues unabated.

Yellow Bird's essay examines cowboys and Indians as part of the colonial
canon asserting white supremacy and Indigenous inferiority. He began by
telling how his encounter with a bag of toy cowboys and Indians reminding
him that Indigenous Peoples face the humiliation of American colonialism
on a daily basis. He next recounted how a master cowboys and Indians
narrative is used to support and maintain the oppression of people in the
tribal community where he was raised...and ends with a discussion
concerning the importance of decolonizing cowboys and Indians. PDF
attached. Part 3, Decolonizing Cowboys and Indians and Epilogue, the last
of three parts.

Professor Michael J. Yellow Bird is the founder and director of the Center
for Indigenous Peoples' Critical and Intuitive Thinking and Associate
Professor of Indigenous Nation Studies Indigenous Nations Studies Program,
The University of Kansas, Lawrence, at mybird [at] ku.edu.

WE NEED PARTNERS, NOT BOSSES (address to the United Nations) by President
Evo Morales (Aymara), Counter Punch, September 22, 2006

It is an enormous satisfaction to be here present, representing my people,
from my homeland, Bolivia and especially the indigenous movement.  I want
to tell you, that after 500 years of be looked down upon, at times
considered to be savages, animals, in some regions condemned to
extermination, thanks to this consciousness and this uprising and to the
struggle for the rights of the peoples, we got here to repair the historic
damage, to repair 500 years of damage.

During the republic, we were equally discriminated against, marginalised,
they never took into account this struggle of the peoples for life, for
humanity during the last 20 years, with their application of an economic
model--neoliberalism--that continued the looting of our natural resources,
the privatisation of our basic services.  Convinced, and we are convinced,
that the way of privatisation of basic services is the best way of
violating human rights.

Juan Evo Morales Ayma, popularly known as Evo, is the President of Bolivia
and has claimed to be the country's first indigenous head of state since
the Spanish Conquest over 470 years ago.  He is also the first indigenous
president in South America.
http://www.counterpunch.org/morales09222006.html

* * * *
Indian Uprising is a one-half hour Public & Cultural Affairs program for,
by, an about Indigenous people broadcast each Sunday at 4:00 p.m. over
KFAI 90.3 FM Minneapolis and 106.7 FM St. Paul.  Producer and host is
Chris Spotted Eagle.  KFAI Fresh Air Radio is located at 1808 Riverside
Avenue, Minneapolis MN 55454, 612-341-3144.

--------7 of 17--------

From: sarah standefer <scsrn [at] yahoo.com>
Subject: Peace concert 10.01 6:30pm

Stop the Merchants of Death Rally and Concert

Sunday, October 1 6:30pm
O'Shaughnessy Auditiorium, St. Catherine College, St. Paul, on Randolph
near Cleveland.
Tickets $12, $10 students.

 featuring
 JOANNE SHEEHAN, chair of War Resister International
 VERNON BELLECOURT AIM with Native Drum
 FRIDA BERRIGAN Arms Trade Resource Center NY-New School
 The PRINCE MYSHKINS, singers, songwriters, performed at SOA
 MEDEA BENJAMIN, Cofounder of Global Exchange and Code Pink
 MARV DAVIDOV founder of Honeywell Project
 UTAH PHILLIPS folksinger, storyteller, Wobbly
 PAUL KRASSNER comedian, cofounder of the YIPPIES with Abbie Hoffman
 JACK NELSON PALLMEYER U of St. Thomas Justice and Peace Studies
 TOM BOTTOLENE, a leader of Alliant Action
 PEPPERWOLF, a leader of Alliant Action
 WINONA LaDUKE, chair of White Earth Land Recovery Project

From: humanrts [at] umn.edu
Subject: WalMart/yuk/film 10.01 7pm

October 1 - Film: "Wal-Mart: the High Cost of Low Price".  7pm

The Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy presents film "Wal-Mart:
the High Cost of Low Price."

FFI: www.iatp.org
Location: Bryant Lake Bowl, 810 W Lake St, Minneapolis