Progressive Calendar 09.11.06
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 02:54:32 -0700 (PDT)

1. Banner v war         9.11 6:45am
2. 911 SPCO memorial    9.11 12:15pm
3. End war rally        9.11 4:30pm
4. American empire 101  9.11-11.13 5:30pm
5. 911 event/film       9.11 6:30pm
6. Nonviolence          9.11 6:30pm
7. Pentel for governor  9.11 7pm
8. Spirit progs         9.11 7pm
9. Iraq war forum       9.11 7pm
10. Work a day/peace    9.11
11. Farheen lit drop    9.11

12. Farheen Hakeem/KFAI 9.12 11am
13. NCountry Co-op/eat  9.12 12noon
14. CCHT housing        9.12 4:30pm
15. Mac free courses    9.12 6pm
16. Salon/trees/film    9.12 6:30pm
17. India's cotton      9.12 6:30pm
18. AmIndian resistence 9.12 7pm
19. IRV rsvp            9.12

20. Farheen campaign - Hakeem and the primary
21. Thom Hartmann    - Republican fascism
22. ed               - The placebo party  (poem)

--------1 of 22--------

From: Jess Sundin <jess [at] antiwarcommittee.org>
Subject: Banner v war 9.11 6:45am

Morning Rush Hour Bannering
Monday 9/11 @ 6:45-7:45am @ two Mpls locations... meet on the 35th Street
bridge over 35W AND meet at the walk bridges over Washington Avenue, in
front of the U of M Coffman Student Union Building.

During morning rush hour, help us hang banners over area highways. The
banners will announce an afternoon protest and remind commuters of the
human cost of the war in Iraq, and other U.S. foreign policies, carried
out in the name of "fighting terrorism" since September 11, 2001.

--------2 of 22--------

From: Bob Hume <bob.hume [at] ci.stpaul.mn.us>
Subject: 911 SPCO memorial 9.11 12:15pm

On September 11, The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra and the City of St. Paul
will present a 30-minute lunch-hour event at Landmark Center commemorating
the five-year anniversary of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.
St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman will host, members of The Saint Paul Chamber
Orchestra will perform, and St. Paul's Poet Laureate, Carol Connolly, will
give a reading of her choosing.  The event will take place at 12:15 p.m.
The event will not be ticketed and is free and open to the public.

The idea behind the event came from Mayor Coleman, who wished to provide
an opportunity for reflection and meditation on the tragedy of September
11 for those who live and work in St. Paul.

Monday, September 11, 2006, 12:15-12:45 p.m.
Landmark Center, Saint Paul
Participants:
Mayor Chris Coleman
Members of The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra
Carol Connolly, City of St. Paul Poet Laureate
Musical program includes:
Barber          Adagio
Bach            Air on a G string

The general public may call the SPCO ticket hotline at 651.291.1144 with
questions.

--------3 of 22--------

From: wamm <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: End war rally 9.11 4:30pm

Say NO to U.S. War Without End (2001-2006)
Monday, September 11, 4:30 p.m. Peavey Plaza, 1111 Nicollet Mall,
Minneapolis.

End the US occupation of Iraq! Stop U.S. aid to Israel and Colombia!

Five years after September 11, 2001, 114,000 people have been killed, 9.6
million people have been made refugees, and $585,600,000,000 has been
spent, in the name of fighting terror. The "war on terror" has U.S. troops
occupying Iraq and Afghanistan, U.S. weapons contributing to Israel on the
offensive in Lebanon and Palestine, war with Iran is looming, and the
Colombian civil war continues to be fueled by U.S. dollars.

At home, the "war on terror" criminalizes Arabs, Muslims and other
immigrants, who are racially profiled, discriminated against, and at least
3,000 are detained. In the face of this grim reality, the people of Iraq,
Palestine, Lebanon, Colombia and the world continue to resist. We must do
the same.

Let's stand up to reclaim 9/11 and make it a day of international
solidarity with the people of the world! Sponsored by: the Anti-War
Committee. FFI: Call 612-379-3899 or visit <www.antiwarcommittee.org>.

--------4 of 22--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: American empire 101 9.11-11.13 5:30pm

We can treat each US war as a "single issue" or we can come to grips with
what generates war after war...and end the madness!

FREE Class AMERICAN EMPIRE 101
10-Week Course - Fall 2006
September 11-November 13
Mondays 5:30-8pm
With Dr. Richard Martinez of the University of Minnesota

Jack Pine Community Ctr 2815 East Lake Street Minneapolis, MN 55406
More info: (612)624-6003 rematin [at] unm.edu

--------5 of 22--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: 911 event/film 9.11 6:30pm

An evening marking the fifth anniversary of September 11, 2001, is offered
to the public on September 11, 2006:

September 11, 2001:  What Really Happened?

Monday, September 11, 6:30-10pm
1190 James Av StPaul 55105
Free; donations appreciated; limited to 200

Aerial art demonstration
Testimony by local people
Premier of documentary ³9/11: Press for Truth²
Music; refreshments; discussion

This program takes place in a former Masonic Hall in the Highland Park
area of St. Paul.  It begins with an aerial art demonstration by students
of Xelias, a nonprofit Aerial Arts Studio in Minneapolis, performing on
20-ft silken ribbons representing the Twin Towers, to the music of the
band ³Froth² with musicians Laura Hlavac, Richard Reischman, and Scott
Webber.

It continues with a remembrance of the victims, survivors, and heroes of
September 11, with remarks by a local family member of a person lost and
by local responders who were in New York.  This portion of the program
ends with Rick Bernardo (musician/performer, co-host of Spirit Road Radio,
Air America MN), performing his song ³Come hold my hand.² Rick was moved
to write this after ³the actual, witnessed account of two people, a man
and a woman, who left the Twin Towers that day of terror.²

From the song's liner notes:  "The song, 'Come Hold My Hand,' is my
expression of both grief and tribute - for the best and most human that
may be in each of us in the face of the worst.  It is a prayer, a hope for
a possibility, that something of that essence somehow carries beyond each
life as we know it. Thereıs no way to know for certain how or if thatıs
the truth. But at the least it is something to suggest; at most it is a
place to stand - and to live. I believe fervently that is all we can do.
And something we must do."

The new documentary, ³9/11: Press for Truth,² will then premiere.  This
movie chronicles the fight for truth and accountability by families of
9/11 victims against the deception and stonewalling of the Bush
administration, the failure of the 9/11 Commission to address their
questions, and the refusal of the mainstream media to report their
struggle to gain answers.

The film premieres in New York on September 7 and will have screenings in
major cities across the country.  A lobbying campaign calling for a new
investigation will be launched on September 5th to continue into the week
of Septembe 11th, during which every member of Congress will receive a
copy of the documentary.

Event sponsored by MN911, a group that believes the government has not
provided an adequate explanation for the events of 9/11 and joins others
demanding a new, independent inquiry.

For further information, please contact Leslie Reindl, 651-633-4410,
alteravista [at] earthlink.net, 1233 Ingerson Road, St. Paul 55112, or Dori
Ullman, 612-414-9528, dorijj [at] aol.com, 333 Superior St., St. Paul 55102.

More information, including a trailer, press kit and high-resolution
photographs, are available at: _http://www.911PressForTruth.com/
<http://www.911pressfortruth.com/>

From: DoriJJ [at] aol.com

Monday, September 11 - 6:30 PM to 10:00PM -- Memorial Gathering to observe
the 5th Anniversary of 9/11.  Michael Cavlan will be speaking as having
been a first responder for the burn victims of the Pentagon on that day.
There will be remarks by family members of victims, as well.

It will be held at 1190 James Av in StPaul. The easiest way to get to 1190
James Av if coming in on I94, is to get off 94 at Lexington Pkwy, turn
right on Lex and keep going south on Lex to James Ave. Turn right for one
block. It's on the corner of James Ave. and Edgecumbe Rd.

--Dori Ullman Campaign Manager The Committee to Elect Michael Cavlan to
the US Senate 2006

--------6 of 22--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Nonviolence 9.11 6:30pm

Moonday, 9/11, 6:30 pm, Hamline prof Duane Cady, speaks on "Nonviolence
According to the Teachings of Christ" at Every Church a Peace Church
potluck, Faith United Methodist Church, 2708 - 33rd Ave NE, Mpls.
rolsen6376 [at] visi.com or 612-781-3167.

--------7 of 22--------

From: PRO826 [at] aol.com
Subject: Pentel for governor 9.11 7pm

KEN PENTEL FOR GOVERNOR
The Ken Pentel for Governor campaign weekly meetings will resume on  Monday
at the Wolves Den located at 1201 E Franklin Ave at 7pm promptly.

If you are unable to attend regular Monday night meetings, you can still
help out by:

1.  Sending Letters to the Editor supporting our campaign especially in
local papers.  Please send copies to Tori at _tori_j [at] msn.com_
(mailto:tori_j [at] msn.com)

2.  Have an "Action Pack" mailed out containing literature for
distribution a local shops and libraries or around your neighborhood.
Included will be Ken's interview on "Access to Democracy" to share also
with others.

3.  Open your home or meet in the park for a picnic with friends and
family for a "house party" to help energize our campaign.

4.  Call Envision MN at 651-312-1000 and ask them why Ken Pentel is being
shut out from the Gubernatorial Debate.  Envision MN is a coalition of
environmental organizations and we feel it would be an asset to the debate
to include a endorsed candidate from the Green Party.  The criteria is
that we meet a 5% polling threshold, yet we are not always mentioned in
the polls as a choice.  Thus:

5.  If you receive a phone call regarding a political poll, request that
they include the Green Party candidates in their questioning.  Ask who is
conducting and paying for the poll.

6.  And as always, the Pentel/Provencher campaign does not take any PAC or
corporate money and relies on individual supporters.  If you are able to
donate, the first $50 may be eligible for the Political Contribution
Refund Program.  See _www.kenpentel.org_ (http://www.kenpentel.org/)  and
click on the donate link to help us with the campaign - a honest democracy
for a healthy Minnesota.

Contact Tori, our wonderful campaign manager at 612-824-8492 for more
details or questions.

---
Internships with Ken Pentel  for Governor Campaign

Ken Pentel's Green Party Campaign for Governor in Minnesota is accepting
energetic, creative interns to contribute to our grassroot efforts and
campaign energy.  Opportunities include fundraising, organizing voters
(GOTV), web, media, and communication building. This is a valuable
opportunity to gain political experience while helping to heal our planet
and society.

These volunteer intern positions are open to any undergraduate or graduate
student in any field of study.  Course credit is granted where permitted
and hours are flexible.

The Pentel Campaign is also seeking conscientious and caring high school
students to get involved and make a political change. Ideal candidates
will be reliable, friendly, flexible, and have the ability to work
independently.  Work requirement is at least five hours per week. The
Pentel Campaign is based in the Minneapolis area and has weekly meetings
on Monday nights from 7-9pm at the Wolves Den located at 1201 E. Franklin
Ave. Transportation, though not a requirement, would be helpful.

The internship begins as soon as position is filled and continues through
the election on November 7th.  The best chance to make a difference is
right now!

Interested students should contact Tori Johnston at _tori [at] kenpentel.org_
(mailto:tori [at] kenpentel.org)  or 612-824-8492.  For further information on
the campaign go to www.kenpentel.org

Danene Provencher Green Party of MN Lt. Governor candidate

--------8 of 22--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Spirit progs 9.11 7pm

Monday, 9/11 (and each month's 2nd Monday), 7 pm (socialize 6:30), Network
of Spiritual Progressives meets, Plymouth Congregational Church, 1900
Nicollet, Mpls.  brucelissem [at] aol.com

--------9 of 22--------

From: humanrts [at] umn.edu
Subject: Iraq war forum 9.11 7pm

September 11 - Iraq War Forum. 7pm
Iraq War Forum with peace prof Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer, Heritage Foundation
conservative blogger Edward Morrissey, Friends for a Nonviolent World
director Phil Steeger and Swift Boat retired Navy captain Lou Ellingson,
(moderated by Macalester history prof David Perry).

FFI: http://www.DFAlink.com/saintpaul or rolsen6376 [at] visi.com Location:
Macalester College Weyerhaeuser Chapel, 1600 Grand Ave, St Paul

--------10 of 22--------

From: Nonviolent Peaceforce <MelDuncan [at] nvpf.org>
Subject: Work/day/peace 9.11

Join this year's *Work a Day for Peace Campaign* and commemorate the
Centennial Anniversary of Gandhi's Satyagraha.

DONATE one day's wages to Nonviolent Peaceforce and be a part of growing
the civilian, professional, unarmed peacekeeping that has caught the
attention of UNICEF, Oxfam, The German Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and
the UN High Commission on Refugees!

RESOLVE to break the cycle of violence by signing the Work a Day for Peace
Resolution.

GATHER your friends, loved ones, neighbors, relatives, and communities to
host your own Work a Day for Peace event between now and November 11.
Gather this year to reflect and commemorate the fifth anniversary of 9/11
and the Centennial Anniversary of Gandhi's Satyagraha.  For GATHERING
GUIDES, MORE INFO, and to REGISTER your event, visit
www.workadayforpeace.org

FORWARD this message to friends and family and share the many ways to Work
a Day for Peace this fall!

This is the fifth year that Nonviolent Peaceforce has held its annual Work
a Day for Peace Campaign around September 11.  In those five years, you
have made this campaign a success by donating and raising more than
$90,000.00 dollars to further unarmed peacekeeping in the field -- what an
amazing accomplishment!

In 2006, Work a Day for Peace takes on new meaning.  September 11, 1906
saw the launch of one of the most successful nonviolent movements of all
time - Mahatma Gandhi's Satyagraha.  This fall, we strive together to
continue Gandhi's legacy of nonviolence that began 100 years ago by
Working a Day for Peace, signing the resolution of nonviolence, and
gathering together to commemorate these anniversaries.

Read more at www.workadayforpeace.org and learn about ways you can
participate in this year's campaign, which runs from now until November 11.

*Thank you for being a part of the 2006 Work a Day for Peace Campaign*!
www.workadayforpeace.org

--------11 of 22--------

From: farheen [at] farheenhakeem.org
Subject: Farheen lit drop 9.11

Hello All!

We had a successful literature dropping weekend, where 2/3 of the district
has been lit drop!  Now we need help to do the final stretch.

We only have 18 out of 54 remaining precincts to drop.  We need people to
volunteer a couple hours to do the last 18 precincts on Monday.

C'mon y'll.  Here is an exciting opportunity to show the power of a
grassroots movement.

Stop by 4827 4th Ave. South for literature and maps, or call 612-964-9143
if you would like it delivered.

Thanks all for helping,
--Farheen

--------12 of 22--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Farheen Hakeem/KFAI 9.12 11am

Tues.Sept. 12, 11am: Hear FARHEEN HAKEEM on "Catalyst:politics & culture"
on KFAI Radio 90.1fm Mpls 106.7 fm St Paul show archived for 2 weeks after
broadcast at www.kfai.org Lydia Howell, producer/host "Catalyst"

--------13 of 22--------

From: North Country Co-op <northcountrycoop [at] yahoo.com>
Subject: NCountry Co-op/eat 9.12 12noon

North Country Co-op welcomes back students, faculty and staff of the
University of Minnesota and Augsburg College on Tuesday, September 12 from
12noon until 4:30.  We've invited some of our local farmers and other food
friends down to our parking lot to join us for great food, music and a
little farm experience in the middle of the city!  North Country Co-op is
located at Riverside and 20th Avenue on the West Bank in Minneapolis.

Folks from the U of M and Augsburg make up well over half of North
Country's customers, and now come to us in larger numbers than ever due
to our unique and healthy lunch options.  Many students also become
member-owners and volunteers, becoming more involved in their community
and knowledgeable about natural foods and the cooperative economy.

Beaver Creek Ranch will be grilling their delicious turkey brats, and will
bring along an adorable Scottish Highland calf for your petting enjoyment.
Beaver Creek Ranch is a sustainable farm near Grantsburg, Wis. that raises
organic soybeans and vegetables as well as beef and turkey.  Doug Anderson
of Beaver Creek was profiled along with other farmers by Minnesota Public
Radio.

For a vegetarian option, Trempealeau Hotel will be grilling their popular
Walnutburgers as well.  The hotel, based in scenic Trempeleau, Wis. on the
Mississippi River, began selling their Walnutburgers frozen after they
became a favorite of the people visiting their hotel.

Peace Coffee will be giving away free samples of their delicious organic
Fair Trade coffee, and will have a slide show explaining how Fair Trade
allows coffee farmers to stay on their land and provide for their families
by giving them a greater share of the profits.

Whitewater Valley Orchard will be on hand with delicious local apples
(free with purchase of a brat or Walnutburger), plums, apple chips and
mini-pies.  Whitewater Valley Orchard is located in St. Charles, Minn. and
also produces great apple butter.

The Minnesota Public Interest Research Group (MPIRG), one of the most
effective campus groups, will be on hand to tell students how they can
become involved in furthering Fair Trade and ecological living.

We will also feature musicians such as singer-songwriter Jacob McKnite,
who also happens to be a North Country Co-op board member.

Contact: Erik Esse, 612-338-3110, northcountrycoop [at] yahoo.com
www.northcountrycoop.com

--------14 of 22--------

From: Philip Schaffner <PSchaffner [at] ccht.org>
Subject: CCHT housing 9.12 4:30pm

In 2006, Central Community Housing Trust celebrates 20 years of creating
affordable, quality apartments and town homes in our community. Learn how
Central Community Housing Trust is responding to the affordable housing
shortage in the Twin Cities. Please join us for a 1-hour Building Dreams
presentation.

Minneapolis Sessions: Sept 12 at 4:30p; Sept 28 at 7:30a; Oct 10 at 4:30p

St. Paul Sessions: Sept 20 at 7:30a; Oct 18 at 4:30p

We are also happy to present Building Dreams at your organization, place
of worship, or business. Space is limited, please register online at:
www.ccht.org/bd or call Philip Schaffner at 612-341-3148 x237

Central Community Housing Trust 1625 Park Avenue Minneapolis, MN 55404
(612) 341-3148 www.ccht.org

--------15 of 22--------

From: dboehnke [at] macalester.edu
Subject: Mac free courses 9.12 6pm

Macalester EXCO Offers Free Fall Courses Open to the Public, Infosession
on the 12th of September

I write you with very exciting news the Experimental College will offer
six courses to Macalester students, faculty, staff and the surrounding
community beginning in September! Please look over the descriptions below
and consider attending one or more of the courses, which begin the week of
September 18th.

There will be an information session at 6pm on Tuesday, September 12 in
the John B. Davis Lecture Hall, which is located in the basement of
Macalester?s Campus Center at 1600 Grand Avenue (Intersection of Snelling
Ave and Grand Ave).

All of these courses are free and open to the public. Two of the courses
are available to Macalester students for credit. There is always the
possibility of adding additional courses if there is interest; these might
include for-credit independent study collectives.

We will be on the EPAG (Education Policy and Governance Committee) agenda
this semester to present a proposal that would make credit available (to
Macalester students) for all EXCO courses. As such, we hope to have a
committed group of people who attend EXCO courses regularly and can offer
feedback to both the teachers and to the EXCO organizers.

I look forward to see you in the fall. Please pass this information along
to those you think might be interested. Updates will be forthcoming. For
more information about the Experimental College, visit www.mpkb.net.

The Great Law of Peace, taught by Ray Tricomo, founder of Turtle Island
Multiversity: The heart of our tragedy contains many chambers; racism,
imperialism, misogyny, environmental degradation, but I should like to
suggest a fifth manifestation of our tragedy - it is exceptionalism. The
antidote is history from an indigenous perspective. We are told that the
original league of five nations came into existence on Monday, August
31st, 1142 A.D. on the South shore of Onadaga Lake, outside of what is now
Syracuse, NY. This course will explore the history of the long-lasting
democratic Iroquois confederation, which served as a model for the authors
of the Constitution. Tuesday, 6-7pm, Old Main 4th Floor Lounge.

Creating a Compassionate Society, taught by Mike Obsatz, Macalester
Professor (4 credits): The American Culture of 2006 is filled with
governmental lying, bullying, street violence, drug abuse, excessive
consumption, environmental destruction, materialistic focus, and lack of
concern for those in need -- the poor, the abused, the ill, the elderly,
the disabled. The "system" isn't working for the public good. This class
is about creating a compassionate society, and how individuals, groups,
and systems need to change. It is interdisciplinary -- and includes
developmental issues, personal and spiritual growth issues, social issues,
and environmental issues. Time and Location TBA.

Independent Study Collective: Sociology of Vocation, taught by Mike
Obsatz, Macalester Professor (4 credits): Students will set up job
shadowing of approximately ten professionals whose careers they are
interested in finding out more about. They will interview each person and
write a brief reflection on how each career relates to their vocational
goals. The course will conclude with a longer reflection paper summarizing
what the student has learned and how their vocational aspirations have
progressed. The professor will meet regularly with each student and if
there are multiple students taking the course, t hey will come together
for occasional group discussions. Time and Location TBA.

History of New York, taught by Nick Kahn and Mark Stonehill, Macalester
Students: New York City is the only "world city" in the entire Western
Hemisphere. How did it turnout this way? This interdisciplinary course
will attempt to answer this question. Topics include geography, geology,
literature, the city in and as the media, music, the importance of
diversity and immigration, transportation, theatre, life outside of
Manhattan, social space, the city after 9/11, demystifying stereotypes,
and the city as the center of everything. The course will include readings
and film and TV show screenings. Time and Location TBA.

Theater of the Oppressed taught by Eliza Rasheed, Macalester alum: The
Theater of the Oppressed, established in the early 1970s by Brazilian
director and political activist Augusto Boal, is a form of popular
theater, of, by, and for people engaged in the struggle for liberation.
Bridging the separation between actor (the one who acts) and spectator
(the one who observes but is not permitted to intervene in the theatrical
situation), the Theater of the Oppressed is practiced by "spect-actors"
who have the opportunity to both act and observe, and who engage in s
elf-empowering processes of dialogue that help foster critical thinking.
Time and Location TBA.

Conflict Transformation: Tools for Community-building, taught by Jim
Radde, Macalester Catholic Chaplain: Each of us is unique. We have
differing points of view. Interpersonal conflict is normal for our
species. An essential phase of group development is learning to deal with
conflict among its members. This learning is needed by communities as
diverse as social justice groups, coalitions and choirs so that commitment
and effective collaboration can follow. Participants in this interactive
series will be affirmed in their present skills and experiment with new
conflict transformation tools they can use immediately. Wednesdays, 7-9pm,
Old Main 4th Floor Lounge.

--------16 of 22-------

From: Patty Guerrero <pattypax [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: Salon/trees/film 9.12 6:30pm

One day about 2 years ago, i awoke from a nap and heard this beautiful
music on the tv, and I looked and saw all these trees being cut down.  It
was cable access and it was a film by Steve Gardner who filmed our suburbs
being depleted of our trees.  The pictures and the music said it all.
The film is called Americas Majesties Destroyed.  I called the number and
Steve ended up bringing me the DVD's.  I am going to show one of them this
Tuesday, Sept. 12.  And, the filmmaker is going to come and tell us about
this sad happening in places like Golden Valley, Plymouth, Hopkins, Maple
Grove.  The music is worth coming in itself.

Pax Salons ( http://justcomm.org/pax-salon ) are held (unless otherwise
noted in advance): Tuesdays, 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Mad Hatter's Tea House, 943
W 7th, St Paul, MN

From: Dwijendra nath Guru <dnguru [at] gmail.com>
Subject: India's cotton 9.12 6:30pm

Ever wondered what makes handloom cotton feel so good on your skin?
Thought about knowing more about the story of how cotton is transformed
from a crop to your clothes?

Join the Association for India's Development (AID) Minnesota Chapter to
hear the story of cotton in India !

Field to Fabric: The story of India's Cotton

a talk by U z r a m m a (founder of Dastkar Andhra)
Tuesday, 12th Sept.
6:30pm
Room 25, Hubert H. Humphrey Center
Univ of Minnesota, Minneapolis (West bank) Campus
301 19th Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55455

http://aidmn.org/cotton
aidmn [at] tc.umn.edu
612.803.0296