Progressive Calendar 09.09.06
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 06:51:58 -0700 (PDT)

1. Stadium/yer out!  9.09-10 9am
2. Women drumming    9.09 9am/8pm
3. AWC volunteers    9.09 10am
4. Water/wilpf       9.09 10am
5. Fidel/Cuba/Nimtz  9.09 10am
6. Alt/military/CAMS 9.09 10:30am
7. Northtown vigil   9.09 1pm
8. Poison DUst/film  9.09 1pm
9. Israel attacks    9.09 2pm
10. RayTricomo/AM950 9.09 4pm
11. Death row play   9.09 7:30pm
12. Lepreau/photos   9.09

13. Peter Phillips - Project Censored Top 25 Most Censored Stories 2005-06

--------1 of 13--------

From: Dave Bicking <dave [at] colorstudy.com>
Subject: Stadium/yer out! 9.09-10 9am

Dear friends of democracy,

We REALLY need your help this weekend!  We are doing a lit drop this
weekend to target the County Commissioners who have imposed the stadium
tax upon us for the next 30 years.  The primary election is this Tuesday,
the 12th.  Your vote is important (if you live in their districts).  But
you can have much more impact than just one vote if you will join the
effort to campaign against them.

*Saturday, Sept 9 and Sunday, Sept 10, 9am-dusk.
Distribute literature to houses in County Commissioner's Districts 1 and
2: Opat and Stenglein.  Pick up literature in Golden Valley.  Go out in
teams of 2 if you prefer.  Drop literature at houses in area assigned to
you (or that you choose) whenever you are available over the weekend - or
even on Monday.  Size of area will depend on commitment you can make -
from 2 hours to all day if you can.  Contact information below.

Last week, the County Board approved the stadium sales tax, in spite of
clear public opinion in opposition, in spite of the bad precedent of
taking advantage of a first-time-ever exemption from the State-required
referendum, and in spite of the terrible rip-off of the public that this
corporate welfare represents.  The vote was the usual 4-3 vote, with
Commissioners Mike Opat, Mark Stenglein, Randy Johnson, and Peter
McLaughlin voting for it.

Half of the County Board is up for election each two years.  Fortunately,
Opat, Stenglein, and McLaughlin are running this year. (Gail Dorfman, who
voted against the tax, is also up for election, but has no challengers -
coincidence??)  All 3 are on the primary ballot this Tuesday, because all
have multiple challengers.  This is a "non-partisan" election - the top
two finishers, regardless of party, go on to the general election in
November.  So everyone, regardless of their party, can vote for County
Commissioner in the primary election.

The stakes are VERY high:

Here's what happens if we can defeat one or more of these Commissioners:

The sales tax for the stadium will start on January 1, 2007.  The new
County Board, with any new members, takes office on January 2.  They CAN
repeal the tax!  (It would probably remain in effect for three months,
until the State ends it.)  The municipal bonds, the interest on which will
be paid by the tax revenues, are not going to be sold until March or April
of 2007.  If the stadium decision is reversed at the beginning of next
year, those bonds won't be sold, and we won't be locked into a 30-year tax
to repay them.  Actual construction on the stadium, as well as the land
purchase, won't be happening until later in the spring.  So that can be
avoided as well.  THIS ELECTION IS THE LAST OPPORTUNITY TO AVOID THIS
30-YEAR TAX.  If we can stop it, we can spend our public resources on
PUBLIC purposes rather than on corporate welfare for a multi-billionaire!

Here's what happens if all three of these Commissioners are re-elected:

The stadium proceeds.  But even more importantly, we will have sent a
terrible message: a green light for even more abuse.  More public money
for private profit, and more abuse of our democratic rights.  If they can
get away with this, just think what other, less publicized rip-offs they
can get away with.  And there may be some big ones:  there is already talk
of the Vikings building (or re- building) a stadium in Minneapolis.  How
much of our money, our public resources, might be stolen for THAT purpose?
It is dangerous to leave these guys in control of our finances.

We can not let all three of these Commissioners win re-election!!!  They
took away our right to a referendum.  This election is the only
"referendum" we will get.  It is a very imperfect referendum:  the stadium
issue is thrown in with all the other issues and candidate personality and
character issues, rather than being a separate ballot question.  It is
also very hard to unseat incumbents.  Incumbents have a huge money
advantage, and media advantage (especially when they so faithfully serve
the interests of the rich).  And it is hard for opposition candidates to
put forward the incredible time and dedication to run for office.

So defeating these incumbents is an uphill battle, even in spite of the
public opposition to the stadium tax, in spite of the anger that is out
there.  BUT WE MUST DO IT!

A new "political committee" has been formed to help in the effort:
Citizens Against Stadium Taxes (CAST, as in "cast your ballot").  It is
independent of any candidate or party.  Its role will be to work for the
defeat of these three County Commissioners (Opat, Stenglein, and
McLaughlin) in this election cycle - primary and general elections.  CAST
will be printing the literature and organizing its distribution this
weekend.  WE NEED YOUR PEOPLE POWER - we can't afford mailing, we have to
do this ourselves.

The primary election is VERY important.  We probably can not knock out any
of these guys in the primary - they would have to come in third.  (It is
not impossible - and that would be an amazing victory, and a real
statement.  Such things have happened in past elections when the incumbent
has generated this kind of anger.)  But a large vote for their challengers
will be a huge help in defeating the incumbents in November.  It will give
their campaigns "legitimacy" and help to bring in far more volunteers and
donations.
 It is very important for the incumbents to appear vulnerable to defeat in
November.  So we need to get out the opposition vote in the primary
election.

The piece we will be distributing will be a very simple statement:
REPLACE OPAT (or Stenglein), with a brief note about their vote for the
stadium, and how they took away our vote - now we should take away theirs.

These kinds of pieces are proven effective at mobilizing voters to
actually go to the polls to express their anger.  We WILL have an impact
on the vote.  The magnitude of our impact is almost totally dependent on
how many people are willing to spend how much time to distribute these.
You have an impact with your own vote.  But if you really care about this,
you can have a much greater impact this weekend!!  So please sign up and
commit to as much time as you can.

This is easy to do - it is not like door-knocking where you actually have
to talk to people.  We just need you to go from door to door leaving our
literature.  In suburban areas, you can drive from house to house, leaving
literature tucked into the newspaper boxes.  So you don't even have to be
athletic!

Contact me if you have questions, or want to sign up: home phone
612-276-1213, work: 612-729-8580.  Or sign up directly with the volunteer
coordinator:  Julie Warneke 763-476-7099, www.country-life-decor.com RSVP
to let her know when you are coming, for how long, and how many people are
coming with you.

If you can't volunteer time, we would appreciate donations to pay for the
literature.  Send whatever you can afford to:

Citizens Against Stadium Taxes   <--(make check out to C.A.S.T.)
6820 Wooddale Avenue South
Edina, MN  55346

NOTE:  CAST has chosen to target Opat and Stenglein in the primary for
strategic reasons.  We WILL include McLaughlin at the general election.
Farheen Hakeem is running a vigorous campaign against McLaughlin, and will
be doing her own lit drop throughout that district this weekend.  Please
contact her if you can help with her lit drop (I'm doing both this
weekend).  I DO NOT want to take anyone away from her campaign or from her
lit drop.  Contact Farheen's campaign at 612-395-5559 or email:
volunteer [at] farheenhakeem.org

Please help - let's make this election OUR referendum on the stadium tax!
Dave Bicking 612-276-1213

From: Shar in Minneapolis <sharinminneapolis [at] yahoo.com>
From: Julia Warneke <textiles8216 [at] yahoo.com>

Greetings to all like-minded citizens!

A small group of independent citizens have formed a group called: Citizens
Against Stadium Taxes (CAST) in outrage against the Four Horsemen of
Larceny and in a determined effort to change the democracy our Minnesota
Renegade Legislators have made a mockery of!

ITS NOT TOO LATE! There are still many decisions to be made regarding the
stadium. These guys have left us no choice. They MUST go!!!  We are
specifically targeting Mike Opat and Mark Stenglein as the two most
desirable to take leave.

WHERE:  We'll meet at a house on South Winnetka between Highway 55 and
394. Its closer to 394 than 55. If you go south from highway 55 look for
the red, white and blue starred canopy tent in the front yard of the home.
If you're traveling on 394 and can find the Holiday Station on the
frontage road west of the Louisiana exit, you're very close. The home is 5
houses north of the station on Winnetka.

Map to Holiday Station off of 394 and Louisiana: map

WHEN:  We begin at 9 am on Saturday Sept. 9th - just FOUR DAYS away!

We'll work until the job is done - day and night if necessary. So we need
your help ANYTIME you can commit to is fine EITHER day!! Because we have
to man the tent, we'd like you to schedule on the hour every 2 hours
following 9 am. (for example: 9 am, 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm and 6 pm) so we can
be there to answer questions and hand out lit.

When you arrive, we'll hand out maps and literature to designated spots or
you can choose your own. What's most important is we need help! We want
you to be safe so travelling in pairs is suggested. Besides, its more FUN!

PHONE:  Julie Warneke - 763-438-3970 This number is for Lit Drop Days
Only. Alternate phone is 763-476-7099 www.country-life-decor.com

Please RSVP or write or call me to let me know when you are coming, for
how long and how many people are coming with you. If you can't help this
weekend, we'll need more help after the primary and contributions are
always good. If you think you can help in another way, please let us know.
Like pass the word that it is VERY IMPORTANT to vote NOW in the primary to
begin to defeat these guys.

Note: If you've already responded, thank you thank you and you can ignore
this. For others, this is FYI.

Contributions can be sent to:
Citizens Against Stadium Taxes
6820 Wooddale Avenue South
Edina, MN 55346

And THANK YOU!! Looking forward to getting this job DONE!
Citizens Against Stadium Taxes

--------2 of 13--------

From: Mary Kay Olson <breatheinsingout [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: Women drumming 9.09 9am/8pm

DRUMMING WORKSHOP: Ubaka Hill will be leading an all-day drumming workshop
from 9am-4pm.  Come explore the art and spirit of drumming as a means of
finding your own inner rhythm and authentic self-expression.  Learn drum
techniques and songs that can be played in community drumming circles, and
participate as the drumsong orchestra in the evening concert. FFI or to
register, go to www.womensdrumcenter.org.

More about Amikaeyla:
Amikaeyla is an up and coming artist whose career is taking the east coast
by storm.  She has been acclaimed as one of the "purest contemporary
voices in "jazz, world and folk" by National Public Radio, and has taken
her native east coast by storm.  She captivates audiences with vivacious
rhythms and sultry ballads, and is a favorite of Sweet Honey in the Rock
to open for them.  She also has opened for Ferron (Mpls., 2005, receiving
a standing ovation!), Cris Williamson, Pete Seeger, and many others. Her
2004 release, Mosaic, won a staggering five Washington Area Music
Association awards for Best World Music Recording, Best Jazz Recording,
Best Debut Recording, Best Jazz Vocalist, and best Urban Contemporary
Vocalist, the last of which she earned again in 2006 along with a Best
World Music Vocalist award.

More about Ubaka Hill:
Fresh from her annual appearance at the Michigan Womens Music Festival,
Ubaka Hill released her first new CD or original work since 1997, called
"Beyond the Wind".  She will be showcasing some of those tunes at this
concert.  She is a long-time drummer, teacher, performer and visual artist.
Influenced by the creative tradition of jazz, she uses her music as a tool
for social change.  While the djembe is now her primary instrument, her
"other voice", she plays drums and other percussion instruments from various
cultures.  The root of Ubaka's drumsong is primarily intuitive, inspired by
the rhythmic drumming traditions of North and West Africa, Latin America,
the Caribbean, American Jazz, and Shamanism interwoven with poetry and song.
She is deeply committed to the emerging tradition of women drummers, and
assisted many who wish to learn to make and play drums and to share the
power of drumsongs as a tool of liberation, community building, healing, and
personal joy.

-
Breathe In Sing Out Productions And The Women's Drum Center Present
Ubaka Hill And Amikaeyla
Saturday, September 9th, 8 P.M.
All God's Children Church
3100 Park Ave. S, Mpls.

Tickets:  $20 in advance ($16 for MPR members), $25 at the door ($20 for
MPR members)

Available at:
Walk-Up:  Amazon Bookstore Coop, 48th St. and Chicago Ave., Mpls.
Online:  www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3093
Phone:  800.838.3006
FFI:  www.breatheinsingout.org and www.womensdrumcenter.org

--------3 of 13--------

From: Jess Sundin <jess [at] antiwarcommittee.org>
Subject: AWC volunteers 9.09 10am

Saturday 9/9 @ 10am @ our office, 1313 5th St SE, room 213, Mpls. You,
your friends, your family... can all help us make a visual impact at
Monday's protests. In addition to classic sign and banner painting, we
will also be working on some great visuals to reflect the tremendous loss
of life in the name of the "war on terror." Help build a papier mache
bomb... star in an outstanding street theater skit... Artistic talents are
welcome but not required!

  Public Forum: Lebanon, A history of Israeli intervention & occupation

Saturday, 9/9 @ 2pm @ St. Joan of Arc (4537 3rd Ave S, Mpls) Israel's
summer of killing civilians and destroying infrastructure in Lebanon was
not the beginning. It is a continuation of a long history of Israeli
attacks against its neighbors. Israel's targeting of civilians and
civilian infrastructure in the Gaza Strip and Lebanon is a violation of
the Geneva Conventions and constitutes war crimes. Come learn the history
and join in as we discuss what to do next to end Israeli hostilities
against the people of Lebanon. Sponsored by the Coalition for Palestinian
Rights and the Iraq Peace Action Coalition. Click here for flyer.

--------4 of 13--------

From: erin [at] mnwomen.org
Subject: Water/wilpf 9.09 10am

Saturday, September 9: Women's International League for Peace & Freedom, MN
Metro Branch

Coffee With presentation Corporate Profiteering from Water - The Need to
Protect our Water for the Common Good. 10am-12noon. Van Cleve Community
Center, 901-15th Ave SE, Mpls. Free, open to public, refreshments served.
651/458-7090.

--------5 of 13--------

From: Mary Turck <mturck [at] americas.org>
Subject: Fidel/Cuba/Nimtz 9.09 10am

September 9 Fidel, Raul and the Future of Cuba-featuring August Nimtz,
noted Cuba activist, scholar and University of MN professor.  [Part of
weekly coffee hour series, with a talk by a featured speaker and
discussion. Saturdays, 10-11:30 a.m. $4 includes first cup of coffee.
Resource Center of the Americas, 3019 Minnehaha Ave., Minneapolis 55406
FFI: 612-276-0788]

--------6 of 13--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Alt to military/CAMS 9.09 10:30am

SHARE WIDELY  espeically with YOUTH considering the military or being
heavily recrutied at their high schools!

Saturday, 9/09 (and 2nd Saturday of each month), 10:30 am, Coalition for
Alternatives to Military Service (or CAMS, a counter-recruitment group)
meets at Twin Cities Friends Meeting, 1725 Grand, St. Paul.  Contact Mary
at wamm [at] mtn.org

--------7 of 13--------

From: Lennie <major18 [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Northtown vigil 9.09 1pm

We will be peace vigiling EVERY SATURDAY from 1-2pm at the at the
southeast corner of the intersection of Co. Hwy 10 and University Ave NE
in Blaine, which is the northwest most corner of the Northtown Mall area.

We'll have extra signs.  Communities situated near the Northtown Mall
include: Blaine, Mounds View, New Brighton, Roseville, Shoreview, Arden
Hills, Spring Lake Park, Fridley, and Coon Rapids.

For further information, email major18 [at] comcast.net or call Lennie at

From: skogrand <skogrand [at] frontiernet.net>
Subject: Poison DUst/film 9.09 1pm

DEPLETED URANIUM MOVIE POISON DUST TO BE SCREENED SEPTEMBER 9 AT GALAXIE
LIBRARY

Poison DUst is a full-length documentary film that takes a close look at
the dangers of radioactive depleted uranium (DU) weapons to innocent
civilians and our own troops. Could U.S. troops serving in Iraq or
elsewhere come home severely damaged - even if they avoided getting killed
or wounded? Poison DUst tells the story of young soldiers who thought they
came home safely from the war, but didn't.

During the current Iraq War, the U.S. use of radioactive DU weapons has
increased from 375 tons used in 1991 to 2,200 tons. Geiger counter
readings at sites in downtown Baghdad record radiation levels 1,000 and
2,000 times higher than background radiation. Today, half of the 697,000
U.S. Gulf War troops from the 1991 war have reported serious medical
problems and a significant increase in birth defects among their newborn
children.

This event is open to the public, and all interested are invited to come
watch the film.

Saturday, September 9 - 1:00 p.m.

Galaxie Library
14955 Galaxie Ave. Apple Valley, MN 55124 (County
Road 42 and Galaxie)

This event is sponsored by the Dakota County Green Party. The 10 key
values of the Green Party are:  ecological wisdom, grassroots democracy,
social justice, nonviolence, decentralization, community based economics,
feminism, respect for diversity, global responsibility, and
sustainability. For more information on the Dakota County Green Party,
visit <http://dakotacounty.mngreens.org/>
http://dakotacounty.mngreens.org.