Progressive Calendar 08.03.06
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 03:50:20 -0700 (PDT)

1. Labor family picnic 8.03 4pm
2. NW vigil            8.03 4pm
3. Eagan peace vigil   8.03 4:30pm
4. Northtown vigil     8.03 5pm
5. Roseville           8.03 7pm
6. Immigration         8.03 7pm
7. Salon/Common good   8.03 7:30pm
8. Fringe festival     8.03-13
9. 9-11/Malloy/AM950   8.03 12midnight

10. Ffunch             8.04 cancelled
11. Dept of peace      8.04 1pm/5pm
12. Electric car       8.04 2:20pm
13. Eskit/fringe       8.04 7pm
14. Margarida/fringe   8.04 8:30pm

15. Lydia Howell    - Ceasefire now: stop Israel's war crimes
16. Khalid Amayreh  - When Jews behave like Nazis, they become Nazis
17. The Daily Star  - Children of the Holocaust mete out racist rage
18. Rania Masri     - Note from Lebanon
19. The Guardian    - Israeli home bombings terrorize Palestinians
20. Eduardo Galeano - A world in love with death
21. ed              - Kosher genocide  (poem)
22. ed              - Make that trip!  (poem)
23. ed              - Sacred book  (poem)

--------1 of 23-------

From: stpaulunions.org <llwright [at] stpaulunions.org>
Subject: Labor family picnic 8.03 4pm

Labor Family Unity Event
Thursday, August 3 - Rain or Shine
Capitol Commons - Upper Mall Area
4-6pm

Location The State Capitol is 75 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. The
picnic will be held in the Upper Mall Area.

This is an event for union members and their families! Brats, burgers,
chips and pop will be served starting at 4pm. Bring yourself, your family,
and especially bring a coworker!! And, remember, it's an outdoor event -
bring a lawn chair or a blanket! Speakers, food, information and lots of
fun!

--------2 of 23--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: NW vigil 8.03 4pm

Thurs August 3, 4-6pm. NW Neighbors for Peace. Live in the NW suburbs?
Please join us at our weekly demonstration, corner of 42nd and Winnetka in
New Hope.

--------3 of 23--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <skograce [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 8.03 4:30pm

-------4 of 23--------

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 8.03 5pm

NORTHTOWN Peace Vigil every Thursday 5 to 6 pm, at the intersection of Co.
Hwy 10 and University Ave NE (SE corner across from Denny's), in Blaine.

New Brighton, Roseville, Shoreview, Arden Hills, Spring Lake Park, Fridley,
and Coon Rapids.  We'll have extra signs.

From: Allison Jensen <aajensen1 [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Roseville 8.03 7pm

Community Life and Civic Engagement Subcommittee

AGENDA OUTLINE
August 3, 2006, Thursday
7-8:30pm
Hawthorne Room
Roseville City Hall

Introductions

Initial Issues Identified by Roseville Citizens
--List Distribution with Civic Involvement portion revised
--Issue Theme Development

Subcommittee Process & Schedule
--Planning for Public Hearing #1
--Determination of Burning Questions
(Each Subcommittee member to propose two questions)
--Scheduling
--Subcommittee Assignments to Implement Hearing

--------6 of 23--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Immigration 8.03 7pm

Thurs August 3, 7pm
NW Neighbors for Peace

Mary Turck, Resource Center of the Americas, will speak on "Immigration
Realities: Facts, Figures, and Questions".  At the Parish of St. Joseph,
southwest corner of Boone and 36th Avenue N. in New Hope.  All welcome.

--------7 of 23--------

From: John Kolstad <jkolstad [at] millcitymusic.com>
Subject: Salon/Common good 8.03 7:30pm

Tom's Schneider Drug salon Thursday Aug 3, 7:30-9pm

Discussion topic: How we can get back to thinking about the common good
for all, instead of selfish needs of each person?  (The selfish
perspective is promoted by a few with the motive of distracting people
from what is really going on in our country; it encourages people to only
think about and care about themselves).

An Open Discussion.  Tom's Schneider Drug located on University Ave SE at
Bedford (across from KSTP TV).

--------8 of 23--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Fringe festival 8.03-13

8/3 to 8/13,  Minneapolis Fringe Festival.  [Ask yourself this question: Are
you willing to see five bad plays in order to see one play that changes your
life?  If yes, consider the following.  Absolutely nothing is known or
recommended.]  www.fringefestival.org   Some possibilities:
   Angels of Warfare & Victory
   Baghdad Burning: Electronic Postcards from Iraq 2003 - 2006
   Condoleeza's Rites
   I Got a Fundamentalist Up My Ass (Eskit)
   Miss Margarida's Way
   Rock, Shock & Awe
   The 9-11 Tapes: An American Tragedy
   The Rise and Fall of the American Empire
   The Unbearable Lightness of Being American

[Eskit and I compete for idiosyncracy and weirdness. Sometimes he wins,
sometimes I do. He writes humorous songs, sings them while playing the
piano; he has at least one local CD out.  His piece is "I Got a
Fundamentalist Up My Ass" - the only problem being distinguishing what's
up from what it's up. -ed]

--------9 of 23--------

From: ed
Subject: 9-11/Malloy/AM950 8.03 12midnight

Webster Tarpley, 9-11 critic, on the Mike Malloy show.  AM950
12midnight-3am.

Author and Historian Webster Tarpley has tied information together to
paint a picture of 9/11. He described the drills, Bush's actions and the
blow-by-blow details of that fateful day that revealed what could only be
called the horrible truth of a conspiracy fact.

--------10 of 23--------

From: David Shove <shove001 [at] tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Ffunch 8.04 cancelled

Cancelled
First Friday Lunch (FFUNCH) for Greens/progressives.
Day By Day Cafe 477 W 7th Av St Paul.

--------11 of 23--------

From: faith [at] plethora.net
Subject: Dept of peace 8.04 1pm/5pm

Friday August 4th Dot Maver, executive director of the Department of Peace
campaign, will be in Minneapolis. She will be meeting with city council
members in an effort to gain their vote for a city council resolution to
support the Congressional legislation for the establishment of a
Department of Peace.

This resolution is currently being sponsored by:
Councilman Gary Schiff Ward 9
Councilman Cam Gordon Ward 2

The half hour meetings will take place between 1 and 4 pm on Friday
August 4th.

The following council members or their staff have agreed to meet with  Dot
Maver about this issue:

Paul Ostrow Ward 1
Cam Gordon Ward 2
Robert Lilligren Ward 6
Elizabeth Glidden Ward 8
Gary Schiff Ward 9
Ralph Remmington Ward 10
Scott Benson Ward 11
Betsy Hodges Ward 13

The following have expressed an interest in meeting but nothing has  been
set:
Don Samuels Ward 5 ( a likely sponsor)
The following have yet to respond to our requests:
Sandy Colvin Roy Ward 12
The Following are unable to attend
Barbara Johnson Ward 3
Diane Hofstede Ward 3
Lisa Goodman Ward 7

You can find out who your city council person is with the following  link
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/council/

Please contact your city council person and thank them for sponsoring the
resolution and/ or meeting with Dot Maver.

Or if they have not set it up, lovingly let them know how important this
is to you. If they are unable to attend please ask them to consider
supporting the resolution.

Have them contact Paul Rozycki to set up a meeting pbsrroz [at] msn.com his
home number is 612-824-2293

Dot Maver will be hosting a meet and greet and recapping how the meetings
went Friday August 4th from 5-6 pm at the Fire Roast Mountain Cafe 38th st
and 37th ave in South Minneapolis, Please come

--------12 of 23--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Electric car 8.04 2:20pm

"Who Killed The Electric Car?"
EDINA THEATRE 3911 WEST 50th ST. Edina,MN
Fri, Aug 4: (2:20 5:00)7:30 9:40
Sat, Aug 5 - Sun, Aug 6: (12:00)2:20 5:00 7:30 9:40
Mon, Aug 7 - Thu, Aug 10: (2:20 5:00)7:30 9:40

--------13 of 23--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Eskit/fringe 8.04 7pm

Note from Lydia Howell: DON'T MISS this chance to experience the TC
satirical singer/songwriter for yourself! I've been regularly playing
ESKIT's musical rebellion on my KFAI show "Catalyst" for years. From
taking aim at Fallwell & Co. challenging homophobia & standing up for
women's reporductive rights to a slew of great songs exposing BushCo as
the war-mongering corporatists they are,I ESKIT is brilliantly funny.
Share widely!

A JUICY AND DEMENTED FROLIC IN THE CESSPOOL OF ORGANIZED RELIGION

Contact: 612-722-6649 (day)(ask for John) OR e-mail eskitx [at] eskitx.com
<mailto:eskitx [at] eskitx.com>

--from Eskit:
Either God's a fool, or somebody's been misrepresenting Him. The
unsettling truth may well be found at the 2006 Fringe Festival, at Eskit's
mudslinging show "I Got A Fundamentalist Up My Ass".

Drawing on his Southern Baptist Background, as well as his associations
with 'Campus Crusade for Christ' and 'Moral ReArmament', Eskit will
present a tragi-comic odyssey of songs, stories, and video in the upcoming
Fringe Festival.

Songs include "Roe v. Wade" and "Pathological Liars For God". Video
includes an interview with the Pope ("Long Live the Pope"), a hillside
frolic with Rev. Sun Myung Moon ("March of the Chickens"), and a tantrum
by Michele Bachmann ("Queen of the Crazies"). Story subjects include
moonshine, menstruation, Holy Roller homosexuals, gin rummy, White
churches & integration, haircuts, creationism, male chauvinist pigs,
Southern Baptists, and gossip. Reverend Hickey, pastor of the First Church
of the Vengeance, will stop by to recite his patented Pledge of Allegiance
(which glorifies the Almighty 17 times!).

So how does Eskit know so much about Christian fundamentalism? Because
he's lived it, baby. He's been there. He has seen the Sanctimonious
Neanderthals at close range and lived to tell the tale.

NOTE: After the show Eskit will be selling the CD "It Can't Happen Here"
for $1. It's a half-hour radio documentary he made in 1977 that records
the reactions of working class and religious people to Anita Bryant's
campaign "Save Our Children From Homosexuality". It's enough to make you
cry.

Eskit performs at Intermedia Arts, 2822 Lyndale Ave. S., at the following
times [unless somebody stops him]:
Fri, Aug 4 - 7:00 pm
Mon, Aug 7 - 5:30 pm
Tue, Aug 8 - 7:00 pm