Progressive Calendar 07.21.06
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 04:12:14 -0700 (PDT)

1. Rove in Stillwater  7.21 11am

2. Vietnamese festival 7.22 9am
3. NE farmers market   7.22 9am
4. Artcar parade       7.22 2pm
5. PeaceGarden/950AM   7.22 3pm
6. Community housing   7.22 7pm

7. NV peace/brunch     7.23 10:30am
8. Holocaust           7.23 12noon
9. Peacnik picnik      7.23 3pm
10. KFAI uprising      7.23 4pm
11. Leftist Spanish    7.23 7pm

12. Ralph Nader   - US responsibility for Israeli war crimes
13. Jonathan Cook - Israelis are dying: it must be an escalation
14. Helen Kennedy - Hil, Rupert sly as Fox at fund-raiser
15. Kennedy/White - Was the 2004 election stolen?
16. ed            - Half-worm in apple  (poem)

--------1 of 16--------

From : "Sarah Burt" <sarah.burt [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Rove in Stillwater 7.21 11am

Karl Rove - the evil boy genius behind this disasterous administration
will be in Stillwater on Friday, July 21 at a luncheon fundraiser.

I don't need to tell you about how evil this guy is, and how his influence
on this administration has led us down the path to war. Not to mention the
greedy corporate bullies they let run everything. AND THEN there's
everything they've done to the environment, our schools (no child left
behind - what a disaster), the economy and health care.

So I am asking you to join a group of us who are meeting at Pioneer Park
in Stillwater to protest Rove and the Administration's policies.

We'll be gathering at 11am. Bring signs and friends. Pioneer Park is at
Cherry and North 2nd street - just up the hill on the North side of
Downtown Stillwater.

So let's make sure our voices are heard on July 21st!!

Pioneer Park
Corner of Cherry and North 2nd Street
Friday, July 21
11am

---
From: Jesse Mortenson <teknoj [at] gmail.com>

Fellow Stillwater Area High School graduate Liza Baer informs me that
Karl Rove will be in town campaigning for Michelle Bachmann today
(Friday) and there is a protest planned. Join them if you can:

ebaer [at] macalester.edu wrote:

just wanted to let you know that karl rove is going to be in stillwater
tomorrow, campaigning for michele bachman, the republican state senator
from my district who's running for the 6th district congress seat (as if
you didn't know).  anyway, there are going to be at least a few people
protesting down at the waterstreet inn, right by the bridge, which is
where the event is being held.

--------2 of 16--------

From: Krisrose02 [at] aol.com
Subject: Vietnamese festival 7.22 9am

Vietnamese Community Festival.  It will be open 9 am through 9 pm and is
at Phalen Park in StPaul.

--------3 of 16--------

From: tom [at] organicconsumers.org
Subject: NE farmers market 7.22 9am

COME AND GET IT!!!!
While the heat has broke the NE Farmers Market is still heating up more
than an over taxed Edsel radiator!  Ok, you may not know what an Edsel is
but trust me, that's pretty dang hot ~ at least I think it is.

While the thermometer rose into the triple digits last week the Northeast
Farmers Market was graced with the first local sweet corn of the season.
Those bi-colored beauties were gone in no time at all!  All bets are off
if there will be more this week but it would be worth your time to come
see if they are because there is always the beautiful selection of other
produce, cut flowers and the sustainable pork products raised from the
Trebesch farm to select from and MAN, their cottage bacon makes for a BLT
that you will not soon forget.  Speaking of tomatoes, none were in as of
last week but they should not be far behind.

The fusionTastic sounds of Tri Tipo will be there this week and you MUST
stop by and visit with Chowgirls - those purveyors of killer catering, who
last week not only had iced sweet tea (take me back to my home in
Georgia!) but iced coffee too AND that great selection of lovely savory
pastries that make for a delicious breakfast, RIGHT THERE AT THE FARMERS
MARKET.

Mark your calendar for our annual CORN FEED and Brat-A-Palooza that is
coming up on Aug 12th where we will be featuring the brats from the
Trebesch's farm as well as the legendary organic sweet corn from Gardens
if Eagan.  We will be serving up those ears with local herbed butter so
come support the NE Farmers Market and COME HUNGRY!!!  If you would like
to volunteer for the Aug. 12th Corn Feed you can call me at the number
below or come see Rod Stevens or me at the Market.

We are conveniently located at the corner of University AVE and 7th AVE,
in lovely lower NE MPLS.  There is plenty of free parking and we got SHADE
too!  9:AM till 1:PM EVERY Saturday; your direct connection to all of
summer's rewards from the earth.

Please feel free to spread this message around, like manure, it does not
do a lot of good sitting in one place,
Tom Taylor

From: Lisa Fink <lisa [at] intermediaarts.org>
Subject: Artcar parade 7.22 2pm

INTERMEDIA ARTS PRESENTS
12th ANNUAL ARTCAR PARADE
Saturday, July 22  2pm  Free
Minneapolis Lyn-Lake Neighborhood

ArtCar Artist Exhibit at Outsiders and Others Gallery
Opening reception: Friday, July 21,  7pm

On Saturday, July 22, ArtCar artists will hit the streets in full force
for the 12th Annual ArtCar Parade, a highly successful annual parade in
South Minneapolis organized by a grassroots affiliation of artists who
creatively alter cars and other wheeled vehicles for display and everyday
use. More than 80 wildly decorated cars, bikes, scooters, chairs and other
wheeled vehicles will be on display by local and national ArtCar artists.
Drivers and ArtCars are revving their engines and ready to burn rubber-at
a speedy 10 mph. Our very own home-grown MTN cable celebrities Viva and
Jerry return for their third year as Grand Marshals, giving the parade a
"thumbs up" all around!

The parade route begins at Lake Street and Grand Avenue and goes west on
Lake Street to Lyndale Avenue. It turns north onto Lyndale and ends at
28th Street. Announcers will be located at Lake Street and Lyndale Avenue
and will announce in English and Spanish. Parade goers can meet the
artists and view cars up close after the parade at Intermedia Arts and
Salem Lutheran Church (both near the intersection of Lyndale and 28th
Street).

On July 21 (the evening before the parade), ArtCar enthusiasts can view
their favorite ArtCar artists' works at the Outsiders and Others Gallery,
located in downtown Minneapolis at 1010 Park Avenue South. The next day,
art rumbles down Lake and Lyndale for the 12th Annual ArtCar Parade.

ArtCars - often humorous, sometimes surprising and always inventive -
spark a creative impulse. The ArtCar Parade helps bring together people of
all ages and backgrounds to create, participate and enjoy as a community.
It has become a phenomenon in the Twin Cities and beyond. For more
information on ArtCar events call (612) 871-4444 or visit
www.intermediaarts.org or www.artcarparade.com.

Intermedia Arts is a catalyst that builds understanding among people
through art.

Sponsored by 89.3 The Current and Pizza Luce

PHOTO / INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES:
ArtCars on Parade
Diverse Crowd of Parade Attendees
ArtCar Artists
Intermedia Arts' spokespeople

CONTACT: Theresa Sweetland Phone: 612-874-2813 E-mail:
theresa [at] intermediaarts.org www.intermediaarts.org

--------5 of 16--------

From: Burt Berlowe <bberlowe [at] mn.rr.com>

Spirit Road Radio will travel Saturday to the Lyndale Peace Garden in
Minneapolis to discuss the upcoming commemoration of the
Hiroshima-Nagasaki bombing and its current meaning during a time of
nuclear threats.

The show runs from 3 to 4pm on Air America Minnesota 950 AM.  For more
info, call 612-722-1504 or visit www.spiritroadradio.net

--------6 of 16--------

From: David B. <dboehnke [at] macalester.edu>
Subject: Community housing 7.22 7pm

A Flicker of Light in the Belly of the Beast: Benefit Get-Together for
Rise Like Lions Community Housing

7pm Saturday 7/22
1709 Selby Ave.

We (Rise Like Lions Community Housing) doth hereby cordially invite thee
to Ye Olde Rise Like Lions Inaugural Fundraiser and Evening of
Camaraderie, on the Twenty-Second Day of July, in the Two-Thousand and
Sixth Year.

Enough of the huff-puffery. In case you aren't fluent in the parlance of
Medieval times, Rise Like Lions Community Housing will be hosting a
fundraiser and back-patio cookout on Saturday, July 22 to raise money to
establish a housing cooperative in St. Paul. We're gathering at 1709 Selby
Avenue (at the corner of Selby and Aldine) in St. Paul.

The evening will begin at 7pm with tasty organic (and, of course, both
vegan and non-vegan) food for you, and at 9:30pm, self-described
"acoustic-core" sensation Ba Ba Blacksheep and another, yet to be
confirmed, musical act will grace us with their fine tunes. There will
also be hookahs set out for your enjoyment (yes, they are legal), and
copious amounts of merriment will surely ensue.

The goal of this benefit is to begin the work of fundraising to make a
down payment on a house to turn into a housing cooperative. We're asking
you for a donation (and suggesting $10, with a sliding scale) in order to
help make this vision more possible. Bring friends and loved ones; we'll
enjoy getting to meet them as well.

For more information both on the event and Rise Like Lions, visit our
website at www.riselikelions.org.

--------7 of 16--------

From: Nonviolent Peaceforce <MelDuncan [at] NonviolentPeaceforce.org>
Subject: NV peace/brunch 7.23 10:30am

You are invited to a Brunch at St. Stephen's Church, 2211 Clinton Ave. S.
(near Franklin and 35 W) in Minneapolis
Sunday July 23 from 10:30am-1pm
A Fundraiser for the Nonviolent Peaceforce.
Sliding Scale donation:  $5.00-$25:00+

Put on by Sisters of St. Joseph and Consociates of St. Stephens.
This brunch is truly delicious and a great community event.

--------8 of 16--------

From: Stephen Feinstein <feins001 [at] umn.edu>
Subject: Holocaust 7.23 12noon

Sunday July 23  Minnesota History Center
Family day for LIFE IN THE SHADOWS: HIDDEN CHILDREN OF THE HOLOCAUST,
12-4PM

Activities including Holocaust survivor Sabina Zimering, accordian player
Dee Langley, vocalist Natalie Nowytski and Partners in Praise Girls Choir
with David Harris and Friends. Admission is $8 for adults, $4 for children
(6-17) information: 651-296-6126