Progressive Calendar 06.03.06
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 12:30:57 -0700 (PDT)

1. PRT/Bakken          6.03 10am
2. Red hot art fest    6.03-04 11am
3. GLBT pride prep     6.03 1pm
4. Stealing Ohio/AM950 6.03 4pm
5. Youth slam finals   6.03 7pm
6. Wild yam cabaret    6.03 7:30pm
7. GPMN convention     6.03-04 Duluth MN

8. Grand old day       6.04 9:30am
9. KFAI's Indian       6.04 4pm

10. Greg Palast       - How they stole Ohio
11. Robert Kennedy Jr - Was the 2004 election stolen? [part 1]
12. ed                - Stuffed stolen votes (poem)

--------1 of 12--------

From: Margaret Beegle <beegle [at] louberts.com>
Subject: PRT/Bakken 6.03 10am

Every Saturday in June, Citizens for Personal Rapid Transit will have a
display at the Bakken Museum of Electricity, 3537 Zenith Avenue South,
Minneapolis. The exhibit is intended for children ages 5 to 12 and on up
to adulthood. Hours are 10am-4pm. Come learn about magnetism and the
newest developments with PRT.

--------2 of 12--------

From: Lisa Fink <lisa [at] intermediaarts.org>
Subject: Red hot art fest 6.03-04 11am

For Saturday, June 3 and Sunday, June 4

RED HOT ART Festival in Stevens Square Kicks Off Summer Art Fair Circuit

Stevens Square Park, Minneapolis-For the fourth year in a row the Red Hot
Art Festival brings art, music, performance and community involvement into
the outdoors. Quickly growing in its quirky reputation this festival,
brought to by the Stevens Square Community Organization (SSCO) and the
Stevens Square Center for the Arts (SSCA), kicks off the summer art fair
circuit with two stages of diverse local music, over 50 local cutting edge
artists, films screened in the back of a U-haul and a plethora of
community organizations and nonprofits offering interactive art activities
for free to festival goers! Surprises such as a natural history petting
zoo, public art installations and your favorite eat street restaurants
will abound. Unlike other art fairs, you never know what you'll encounter
at Red Hot Art!

WHO:    SSCO and SSCA host many local organizations, including:
Bell Museum of Natural History: Bug zoo and nature art
Fallout Urban Art Center: Mural, van and easel painting
Sunrise Cyclery: Bike demos and maintenance
Restorative Justice Community Action
Jane Adams School for Democracy: Visual dialogue
The Belfry Center
Sister's Camelot: Button making and chess
I Love a Parade
The Jack Pine Collective: "Ceiling the deal" collaborative mosaic/mural
Stevens Square-Loring Heights Neighborhood Gardeners: Potato stampers
and seed art

ARTISTS: Red Hot Art is primarily a space for emerging fine artists. We
have a friendly fine art focused environment with occasional
craft-oriented artists that exhibit a high degree of originality and
artistry. Artists with booths include Sri Lankan American Chamindika
Wanduragal, long-time Red Hot Art exhibitor and Interact Artist Tim
Traver, Christopher Loch with his hand-printed political T-shirts and SSCA
artists Gina Winther and Terrance Davis.

Red Hot Art includes three site-specific public art projects with artists
Aaron Prust, a resident of Stevens Square-Loring Heights who will create a
large balloon sculpture for Stevens Square Park; Monica Sheets, who has
exhibited nationally, and Colleen Walbran, and their interactive piece,
"The Free Speech Machine," which investigates the interplay between public
space, the Internet and free expression; and Julia Kouneski with an
outdoor installation that involves the use of nine helium-filled balloons
and nine tiny welded metal boxes to create an ephemeral sound piece titled
"Please Fly Away."

MUSIC: Amanda Smith, Big Surf, Como Ave Jug Band, Dat Giddy Records,
Dreamland Faces, El Punkeke & the Aliens, Gay Beast, His Mischief, Jenny
Dalton, Katie Jorgenson, Lantz HD, Michael Morris, Painted Saints,
Prokiev, Quilombolas, Red Veda, ShugE, Spikey Melon & the Jam Blasters,
Tony Newes, Vesna, Victim Victorious, White Elephant and Your Loving
Tiger.

DANCE/PERFORMANCE: Brigitte Koepke, Emily King, Eva Mohn, Hotdish Holler,
Maggie Bergeron, Matt Alto, Shim Sham Shufflers, Shoestring Puppets, Steph
Shirek and more!

Saturday, June 3, 2006; 11 AM-7 PM
Sunday, June 4, 2006; 11 AM-5 PM
Stevens Square Park 1801 Stevens Ave, Minneapolis, MN

--------3 of 12--------

From: wamm <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: GLBT pride prep 6.03 1pm

GLBT Pride Festival Preparation

Saturday, June 3, 1pm. AWC Office, 1313 5th Street Southeast, Minneapolis.
WAMM members are invited to help prepare (create signs, props, etc.) for
the Peace Booth at the Twin Cities GLBT Pride Festival that will take
place June 24 and 25. Peace Booth is sponsored by: the Anti-War Committee
(AWC), the Anti-War Organizing League (AWOL), and WAMM. FFI: Call the AWC
at 612-379-3899.

--------4 of 12--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Stealing Ohio/950 6.03 4pm

SAT6/3 4pm on AirAmerica 950AM
Heads up!  Catch Robert Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Greg Palast
this Saturday on Air America's 'Ring of Fire' on the shoplifting of the
last election - and the next one.

[And see item 10 below]

--------5 of 12--------

From: Jennifer <jennifer_nemo [at] yahoo.com>
Subject: Youth slam finals 6.03 7pm

June 3rd, Saturday: Youth Slam Finals at the Capri Theater in Minneapolis

Athletic competition can't claim monopoly on fierce competitive spirit,
fan fervor and outcome suspense, with the establishment of Poetry Slams.
Strutting rhythmic flare, lyrical fire and stylistic savvy, the Youth Slam
League Finals will crown the best and brightest high school poets. With
backup by TC hip-hop/spoken word giants, including: Bojah & the
Insurrection, Tish Jones, LPP and Immortal Hip-Hop Crew's Lady J. Luminous
III Maivc MC hosts. Discover tomorrow's stars today.

$5 students/$7 adults, Sat. June 3, 7pm-9pm, Capri Theater, 2021 West
Broadway, Minneapolis More info: http://www.mnspokenword.org or call Lydia
Howell at (612)288-9491.

--------6 of 12--------

From: Lynn Cross <swfr [at] minn.net>
Subject: Wild yam cabaret 6.03 7:30pm

the yam what am
WILD YAM CABARET
SATURDAY, June 3, 7:30pm
at the MAD HATTER'S TEAHOUSE
943 W. 7th St., St. Paul

>From Marion/Kellogg exit off eastbound 94, go R on Kellogg to West 7th. Go
R on W. 7th to #943.  This is approx. 2 blocks BEFORE intersection with
Randolph Avenue.

Teahouse # is (651) 290-2584 if you need more directions
Suggested Donation:  $5.00
Call (651) 293-9072 for more information, and visit our web site:
www.wildyamcabaret.org

with FOUR ALL-NEW, ALL-ORIGINAL PERFORMERS (we are very excited!)
   Bonnie LaDuca, guitar and vocals
   Pamela Sakayan, true storytelling:  "My Most Embarrassing Moments
      With Clothing" and, maybe, improv, with Betty Anderson
   Beverly Golberg, memoir:  "My Favorite Animal," The Circle," "The
      Younger Man"
   Alex Mielke, alternative guitar and vocals

--------7 of 12--------

From: Green Party of Minnesota <Info [at] mngreens.org>
Subject: GPMN convention 6.03-04 Duluth MN

Green Party of Minnesota's 2006 Biennial Convention and Endorsing
Convention, in Duluth June 3-4.
Duluth Central High School, 800 E. Central Entrance, Duluth, Minnesota

>From the south, take I-35 North to the Mesaba Ave. exit. From the west,
take Highway 2 East to I-35 North to Mesaba Ave. At the major
intersection, take Central Entrance. At the lights at Pecan Ave., turn
left.

This double event consists of an Endorsing Convention at which members
will consider endorsements for statewide offices--Governor, Attorney
General, Secretary of State, State Auditor and US Senator--and the
Biennial Convention at which we revise our bylaws, constitution and
platform, elect 8 at-large members to the Coordinating Committee (CC) and
2 people (delegate and alternate) to represent our state in the GPUS
decisionmaking process.

For more information on the convention visit
http://www.mngreens.org/convention06.php

--------8 of 12--------

From: "Krista Menzel (Merriam Park Neighbors for Peace)" <web [at] mppeace.org>
Subject: GrandOldDay 6.04 9:30am

Minnesota Neighbors for Peace in Grand Old Day Parade

Sunday, June 4
9:30am - Meet at 708 Goodrich Avenue, St. Paul
9:45am - Walk to Grand and Dale for line-up
10:30am - Parade Starts

Come one, come all! Pack up the kiddies and grannies, friends and family!

Minnesota Neighbors for Peace will be walking in the Grand Old Day Parade.
We hope you will join us as we spread our message of peace and justice in
our communities and the world.

Wear your Minnesota Neighbors for Peace t-shirt and bring your yard sign.
You may order shirts and other items online to be shipped to you via
CafePress, or from Linda Winsor to be picked up locally in St. Paul. She
has t-shirts ($15), Neighbors for Peace yard signs ($10), hooded
sweatshirts ($22), mugs ($12), and totes ($15). Please contact Linda by
June 1 to reserve your t-shirt or sweatshirt for pick-up on the day of the
parade: <mailto:ljwinsor [at] yahoo.com>ljwinsor [at] yahoo.com or (651)
224-6004.

Other positive, pro-peace signs are welcome in the parade. (Please don't
bring "anti-war" or issue signs).

This is going to be a fun event. Let's show the crowds along Grand Avenue
who we are and how to contact us to get involved!

More Information: E-mail: ljwinsor [at] yahoo.com Phone: (651) 224-6004 Web:
www.mnneighbors4peace.org

From: Jesse Mortenson <jesse [at] jessemortenson.com>

Sunday, June 4: all day
Grand Old Day Festival (Grand Avenue)
http://www.jessemortenson.com/event/grandoldday

Come join our campaign to say "hello" to the many neighbors who will be
out and about at the Grand Old Day celebration, right in the heart of 64A.
Can you help by handing out flyers and stickers for part of the day?
E-mail Paul or call 651-442-5746 to let us know!

From: Tim Dykstal <tim [at] metroiba.org>

Come spread the good word of MetroIBA at this Sunday's "Grand Old Day"
in Saint Paul.  A group is congregating in front of Beth Bergman's Wet
Paint at 9:00, and will mingle with the crowd forming for the parade until
10:30.  If you don't already have a MetroIBA t-shirt, you can purchase one
for $15 at the event.  See you there!

--------9 of 12--------

From: Chris Spotted Eagle <chris [at] spottedeagle.org>
Subject: KFAI's Indian 6.04 4pm

KFAI's Indian Uprising, June 4, 2006

Guests: Miimashkawaash (Vincent Hill) and Ashinangookwe (Suzanne
'Nickaboine' Merrill), both members of the Mille Lacs Ojibwe band of
Minnesota.  They are to discuss reservation issues such as economic,
social, political, poverty and chronic substance abuse involving Indian
youth.

Hill is also a member of the fledging Mille Lacs Anishinabe People's Party
(MAPP) and a regular contributor to the Native American Press/ON
Newspaper. Merrill is vying for the RBC position of Secretary/Treasurer,
Mille Lacs tribal government.  She asserts, "One of the main reasons that
I am running is I have first handedly seen many of our Indian people still
struggling on the reservation... Our reservation is making hundreds and
hundreds of millions of dollars and our people are still in need of help
with gas, groceries and a lot of their basic necessities.  Employment and
training is nearly non-existent on various parts of the reservation."
See attached.

* * * *
Indian Uprising is a one-half hour Public & Cultural Affairs program for,
by, and about Indigenous people broadcast each Sunday at 4:00 p.m. over
KFAI 90.3 FM Minneapolis and 106.7 FM St. Paul.  Producer and host is
Chris Spotted Eagle.  KFAI Fresh Air Radio is located at 1808 Riverside
Avenue, Minneapolis MN 55454, 612-341-3144.

--------10 of 12--------

How They Stole Ohio
And the GOP 4-step Recipe to 'Blackwell' the USA in 2008
Abracadabra:  Three million votes vanish
A Buzzflash Exclusive
June 1, 2006
By Greg Palast

This is a fact:  On November 2, 2004, in the State of Ohio, 239,127 votes
for President of the United States were dumped, rejected, blocked, lost
and left to rot uncounted.

And not just anyone's vote.  Dive into the electoral dumpster and these
"spoiled" votes have a very dark color indeed.

In another life, I taught statistics.  And these statistics stank:  the
raw data tells us that if you are a Black voter, the chance of you losing
your vote to technical errors in voting machinery is 900% higher than if
you were a white voter.

Any guesses as to whom those African-Americans chose for president on
those junked ballots?  Check Ohio's racial demographics, do the numbers,
and there it is:  Kerry won Ohio.  And that, too, is a fact.  A fact that
could not get reported in the USA.

But the shoplifting of those votes in Ohio was just the tip of the
theft-berg. November 2, 2004 was a national ballot-box bonfire.  In total,
over three million votes (3,600,380 to be exact) were cast - marked,
punched, pulled - YET NEVER COUNTED.  I'm not talking about the Ukraine
or Uganda.  I'm talking about the United States of America "with liberty
and justice for all."

Well, not "all."  The nine-to-one Black-to-White ballot spoilage rate is a
national statistic - not just an Ohio trick.  Last year, I flew to New
Mexico to investigate the 33,981 cast but not counted ballots of that
state in the 2004 race.  George Bush "won" New Mexico by 5,988 votes.  Or
did he?  I calculated that, of the all the ballots rejected and "spoiled,"
89% were cast by voters of color.  Who won New Mexico? Kerry won - or he
would have, if they had counted the ballots.

But they didn't count them.  And that was deliberate.  It's in the plan.
It's the program.  And the program for 2008 is simple.  Two million
ballots were cast but not counted in the 2000 race.  (Over half, 54%, were
cast by African-American.)  In 2004, the GOP kicked it up to THREE
million.  Get ready, these guys aim high:  "four in '06" and "five in '08"
looks to be their game plan.

How will they pile up five million un-voters in 2008?  Let's start with
the three million "disappeared" of 2004:

Step 1:  "Spoiling" ballots - 1,389,231 of them. In the vote-count game,
these are called "undervotes" and "overvotes." You can recognize these
lost ballots by their hanging chads, punch cards without punches (an Ohio
specialty), paper ballots eaten by scanners, and touch screens that didn't
know you touched them.

Step 2:  Rejecting "provisional ballots"- 1,090,729 in this pile. Voters
finding themselves at the "wrong" precinct, or wrongly "scrubbed" from
voter rolls get these back-of-the-bus ballots first inaugurated in 2002.
In '04, provisional ballots were passed out like candy to voters in the
poorest precincts.  They handed them out - then threw them away - one
million dumped in all.  In Ohio, Republican Secretary of State Kenneth
Blackwell changed state rules, allowing him to toss out the ballots of
legal voters who cast ballots in the wrong precinct although these
citizens were told their vote would count after confirming their
registration.

Step 3:  Not counting absentee ballots - 526,420 of them.  At least,
that's what we figure from official stats.  But it's anyone's guess how
many mailed-in votes were dumped.  (However, in one case, in Palm Beach,
Florida, Jeb Bush's candidate for Elections Supervisor, Theresa LaPore,
counted more absentee votes than absentee ballots mailed in. Not the
brightest bulb in the vote-fix biz, that Theresa.)

Step 4:  Scrub'm, Purge'm, Block'm.  These are the voters who never got to
vote at all.  This group includes those who found their registrations were
never entered on the voter rolls.  In Ohio, about one-fourth of those
registered by Jesse Jackson's 2004 voter drive, found their registrations
delayed beyond the election date or lost.

Add to this un-voter group, those who were wrongly "scrubbed" from
registries as "felons."  For example, there was Bernice Kines, purged in
Florida in 2004 because she was convicted of a felony on July 31, 2009. I
repeat:  2009.  There was something especially odd about the Ohio felon
purge:  ex-cons are ALLOWED to vote in that state, Mr. Blackwell.

How many lost their chance to vote by scrubbing, purging and blocking?
That's anyone's guess, but one million would not be an unfair estimate -
and that's not included in the 3.6 million tally of ballots uncounted.

Was it deliberate?  Oh my God, yes.  I'd like you to take a look at the
"caging" lists the Republican National Committee concocted to challenge
voters with "suspect" addresses.  It included page after page of
African-American soldiers, like one Randall Prausa, shipped overseas.
Mission accomplished, Mr. President?

And there's some new tricks for these old dogs.  For the 2006 and 2008,
the GOP is pushing new Voter ID requirements.  Your signature won't be
good enough anymore.

What's wrong with the new ID laws?  This:  in the 2004 election, 300,000
voters were turned away from the polls for "wrong" ID.  For example, in
the "Little Texas" counties in New Mexico, if your voter registration
included a middle initial but your driver's license had none, you were
kicked out of the polling station.  Funny, but they only seemed to ask
Hispanic voters.  We should see the number of voters rejected for ID to
quintuple by 2008 based on the new "voting reform" laws recently passed in
several states.

Also, coming to a polling station near you:  more caging lists, scrub
lists, ID challenge lists and more.  Exactly why do you think they are
compiling those "War on Terror" and War on Immigration databases? Behind
the 2000 felon purge lists and behind the 2004 caging lists were databases
from the same companies that now have those homeland security contracts.
Are they saving us from Osama - or from Democrats?

I wish I could give you a book on a page, because information is our
weapon:  Turn on the lights and the cockroaches scatter. That's why I'm
asking you to read RFK's article on the Theft of Ohio - and GET ANGRY.

Then read, "Armed Madhouse: The Scheme to Steal '08' - AND GET READY.

BBC investigative reporter Greg Palast is author of ARMED MADHOUSE: Who's
Afraid of Osama Wolf?, The Scheme to Steal 'O8, No Child's Behind Left and
other Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Class War - out Tuesday. Or
order it at www.ArmedMadhouse.com.

Also, check Bradblog.com and AirAmericaRadio.com for the audio of Janeane
Garofalo, Brad Friedman and Randi Rhodes reading "Kerry Won" and other
sections of Armed Madhouse.

Then belly up to the beast:  Join Greg Palast and the Reverend Jesse
Jackson (in Chicago), Amy Goodman (in New York), Bob Fitrakis (in
Columbus) and others for the 24-city US/UK Armed Madhouse Class War Boot
Camp meetings.  They begin this Monday, sponsored by Ohio Citizens
Alliance for Secure Elections, Operation PUSH, Oregon Voter Action,
Activist San Diego and Pacifica Radio.  For dates and locations, go to
www.GregPalast.com

[And see item 4 above]

--------11 of 12--------

Was the 2004 Election Stolen? [part 1]
By Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Rolling Stone
Thursday 01 May 2006

=1. The Exit Polls
=2. The Partisan Official
=3. The Strike Force
=4. Barriers to Registration
=5. "The Wrong Pew"
=6. Long Lines
=7. Faulty Machines
=8. Rural Counties
=9. Rigging the Recount
=10. What's at Stake

Republicans prevented more than 350,000 voters in Ohio from casting
ballots or having their votes counted - enough to have put John Kerry in
the White House.

The complete article, with Web-only citations, follows. For more, see
exclusive documents, sources, charts and commentary.

Like many Americans, I spent the evening of the 2004 election watching the
returns on television and wondering how the exit polls, which predicted an
overwhelming victory for John Kerry, had gotten it so wrong. By midnight,
the official tallies showed a decisive lead for George Bush - and the next
day, lacking enough legal evidence to contest the results, Kerry conceded.
Republicans derided anyone who expressed doubts about Bush's victory as
nut cases in "tinfoil hats," while the national media, with few
exceptions, did little to question the validity of the election. The
Washington Post immediately dismissed allegations of fraud as "conspiracy
theories," [1] and The New York Times declared that "there is no evidence
of vote theft or errors on a large scale." [2]

But despite the media blackout, indications continued to emerge that
something deeply troubling had taken place in 2004. Nearly half of the 6
million American voters living abroad [3] never received their ballots -
or received them too late to vote [4] - after the Pentagon unaccountably
shut down a state-of-the-art Web site used to file overseas registrations.
[5] A consulting firm called Sproul & Associates, which was hired by the
Republican National Committee to register voters in six battleground
states, [6] was discovered shredding Democratic registrations. [7] In New
Mexico, which was decided by 5,988 votes, [8] malfunctioning machines
mysteriously failed to properly register a presidential vote on more than
20,000 ballots. [9] Nationwide, according to the federal commission
charged with implementing election reforms, as many as 1 million ballots
were spoiled by faulty voting equipment - roughly one for every 100 cast.
[10]

The reports were especially disturbing in Ohio, the critical battleground
state that clinched Bush's victory in the electoral college. Officials
there purged tens of thousands of eligible voters from the rolls,
neglected to process registration cards generated by Democratic voter
drives, shortchanged Democratic precincts when they allocated voting
machines and illegally derailed a recount that could have given Kerry the
presidency. A precinct in an evangelical church in Miami County recorded
an impossibly high turnout of ninety-eight percent, while a polling place
in inner-city Cleveland recorded an equally impossible turnout of only
seven percent. In Warren County, GOP election officials even invented a
nonexistent terrorist threat to bar the media from monitoring the official
vote count. [11]

Any election, of course, will have anomalies. America's voting system is a
messy patchwork of polling rules run mostly by county and city officials.
"We didn't have one election for president in 2004," says Robert Pastor,
who directs the Center for Democracy and Election Management at American
University. "We didn't have fifty elections. We actually had 13,000
elections run by 13,000 independent, quasi-sovereign counties and
municipalities."

But what is most anomalous about the irregularities in 2004 was their
decidedly partisan bent: Almost without exception they hurt John Kerry and
benefited George Bush. After carefully examining the evidence, I've become
convinced that the president's party mounted a massive, coordinated
campaign to subvert the will of the people in 2004. Across the country,
Republican election officials and party stalwarts employed a wide range of
illegal and unethical tactics to fix the election. A review of the
available data reveals that in Ohio alone, at least 357,000 voters, the
overwhelming majority of them Democratic, were prevented from casting
ballots or did not have their votes counted in 2004 [12] - more than
enough to shift the results of an election decided by 118,601 votes. [13]
(See Ohio's Missing Votes) In what may be the single most astounding fact
from the election, one in every four Ohio citizens who registered to vote
in 2004 showed up at the polls only to discover that they were not listed
on the rolls, thanks to GOP efforts to stem the unprecedented flood of
Democrats eager to cast ballots. [14] And that doesn't even take into
account the troubling evidence of outright fraud, which indicates that
upwards of 80,000 votes for Kerry were counted instead for Bush. That
alone is a swing of more than 160,000 votes - enough to have put John
Kerry in the White House. [15]

"It was terrible," says Sen. Christopher Dodd, who helped craft reforms in
2002 that were supposed to prevent such electoral abuses. "People waiting
in line for twelve hours to cast their ballots, people not being allowed
to vote because they were in the wrong precinct - it was an outrage. In
Ohio, you had a secretary of state who was determined to guarantee a
Republican outcome. I'm terribly disheartened."

Indeed, the extent of the GOP's effort to rig the vote shocked even the
most experienced observers of American elections. "Ohio was as dirty an
election as America has ever seen," Lou Harris, the father of modern
political polling, told me. "You look at the turnout and votes in
individual precincts, compared to the historic patterns in those counties,
and you can tell where the discrepancies are. They stand out like a sore
thumb."

                        =1. The Exit Polls

The first indication that something was gravely amiss on November 2nd,
2004, was the inexplicable discrepancies between exit polls and actual
vote counts. Polls in thirty states weren't just off the mark - they
deviated to an extent that cannot be accounted for by their margin of
error. In all but four states, the discrepancy favored President Bush.
[16]

Over the past decades, exit polling has evolved into an exact science.
Indeed, among pollsters and statisticians, such surveys are thought to be
the most reliable. Unlike pre-election polls, in which voters are asked to
predict their own behavior at some point in the future, exit polls ask
voters leaving the voting booth to report an action they just executed.
The results are exquisitely accurate: Exit polls in Germany, for example,
have never missed the mark by more than three-tenths of one percent. [17]
"Exit polls are almost never wrong," Dick Morris, a political consultant
who has worked for both Republicans and Democrats, noted after the 2004
vote. Such surveys are "so reliable," he added, "that they are used as
guides to the relative honesty of elections in Third World countries."
[18] In 2003, vote tampering revealed by exit polling in the Republic of
Georgia forced Eduard Shevardnadze to step down. [19] And in November
2004, exit polling in the Ukraine - paid for by the Bush administration -
exposed election fraud that denied Viktor Yushchenko the presidency. [20]

But that same month, when exit polls revealed disturbing disparities in
the U.S. election, the six media organizations that had commissioned the
survey treated its very existence as an embarrassment. Instead of treating
the discrepancies as a story meriting investigation, the networks scrubbed
the offending results from their Web sites and substituted them with
"corrected" numbers that had been weighted, retroactively, to match the
official vote count. Rather than finding fault with the election results,
the mainstream media preferred to dismiss the polls as flawed. [21]

"The people who ran the exit polling, and all those of us who were their
clients, recognized that it was deeply flawed," says Tom Brokaw, who
served as anchor for NBC News during the 2004 election. "They were really
screwed up - the old models just don't work anymore. I would not go on the
air with them again."

In fact, the exit poll created for the 2004 election was designed to be
the most reliable voter survey in history. The six news organizations -
running the ideological gamut from CBS to Fox News - retained Edison Media
Research and Mitofsky International, [22] whose principal, Warren
Mitofsky, pioneered the exit poll for CBS in 1967 [23] and is widely
credited with assuring the credibility of Mexico's elections in 1994. [24]
For its nationwide poll, Edison/Mitofsky selected a random subsample of
12,219 voters [25] - approximately six times larger than those normally
used in national polls [26] - driving the margin of error down to
approximately plus or minus one percent. [27]

On the evening of the vote, reporters at each of the major networks were
briefed by pollsters at 7:54 p.m. Kerry, they were informed, had an
insurmountable lead and would win by a rout: at least 309 electoral votes
to Bush's 174, with fifty-five too close to call. [28] In London, Prime
Minister Tony Blair went to bed contemplating his relationship with
President-elect Kerry. [29]

As the last polling stations closed on the West Coast, exit polls showed
Kerry ahead in ten of eleven battleground states - including commanding
leads in Ohio and Florida - and winning by a million and a half votes
nationally. The exit polls even showed Kerry breathing down Bush's neck in
supposed GOP strongholds Virginia and North Carolina. [30] Against these
numbers, the statistical likelihood of Bush winning was less than one in
450,000. [31] "Either the exit polls, by and large, are completely wrong,"
a Fox News analyst declared, "or George Bush loses." [32]

But as the evening progressed, official tallies began to show implausible
disparities - as much as 9.5 percent - with the exit polls. In ten of the
eleven battleground states, the tallied margins departed from what the
polls had predicted. In every case, the shift favored Bush. Based on exit
polls, CNN had predicted Kerry defeating Bush in Ohio by a margin of 4.2
percentage points. Instead, election results showed Bush winning the state
by 2.5 percent. Bush also tallied 6.5 percent more than the polls had
predicted in Pennsylvania, and 4.9 percent more in Florida. [33]

According to Steven F. Freeman, a visiting scholar at the University of
Pennsylvania who specializes in research methodology, the odds against all
three of those shifts occurring in concert are one in 660,000. "As much as
we can say in sound science that something is impossible," he says, "it is
impossible that the discrepancies between predicted and actual vote count
in the three critical battleground states of the 2004 election could have
been due to chance or random error." (See The Tale of the Exit Polls)

Puzzled by the discrepancies, Freeman laboriously examined the raw polling
data released by Edison/Mitofsky in January 2005. "I'm not even political
- I despise the Democrats," he says. "I'm a survey expert. I got into this
because I was mystified about how the exit polls could have been so
wrong." In his forthcoming book, Was the 2004 Presidential Election
Stolen? Exit Polls, Election Fraud, and the Official Count, Freeman lays
out a statistical analysis of the polls that is deeply troubling.

In its official postmortem report issued two months after the election,
Edison/Mitofsky was unable to identify any flaw in its methodology - so
the pollsters, in essence, invented one for the electorate. According to
Mitofsky, Bush partisans were simply disinclined to talk to exit pollsters
on November 2nd [34] - displaying a heretofore unknown and undocumented
aversion that skewed the polls in Kerry's favor by a margin of 6.5 percent
nationwide. [35]

Industry peers didn't buy it. John Zogby, one of the nation's leading
pollsters, told me that Mitofsky's "reluctant responder" hypothesis is
"preposterous." [36] Even Mitofsky, in his official report, underscored
the hollowness of his theory: "It is difficult to pinpoint precisely the
reasons that, in general, Kerry voters were more likely to participate in
the exit polls than Bush voters." [37]

Now, thanks to careful examination of Mitofsky's own data by Freeman and a
team of eight researchers, we can say conclusively that the theory is dead
wrong. In fact it was Democrats, not Republicans, who were more
disinclined to answer pollsters' questions on Election Day. In Bush
strongholds, Freeman and the other researchers found that fifty-six
percent of voters completed the exit survey - compared to only fifty-three
percent in Kerry strongholds. [38] "The data presented to support the
claim not only fails to substantiate it," observes Freeman, "but actually
contradicts it."

What's more, Freeman found, the greatest disparities between exit polls
and the official vote count came in Republican strongholds. In precincts
where Bush received at least eighty percent of the vote, the exit polls
were off by an average of ten percent. By contrast, in precincts where
Kerry dominated by eighty percent or more, the exit polls were accurate to
within three tenths of one percent - a pattern that suggests Republican
election officials stuffed the ballot box in Bush country. [39]

"When you look at the numbers, there is a tremendous amount of data that
supports the supposition of election fraud," concludes Freeman. "The
discrepancies are higher in battleground states, higher where there were
Republican governors, higher in states with greater proportions of
African-American communities and higher in states where there were the
most Election Day complaints. All these are strong indicators of fraud -
and yet this supposition has been utterly ignored by the press and, oddly,
by the Democratic Party."

The evidence is especially strong in Ohio. In January, a team of
mathematicians from the National Election Data Archive, a nonpartisan
watchdog group, compared the state's exit polls against the certified vote
count in each of the forty-nine precincts polled by Edison/Mitofsky. In
twenty-two of those precincts - nearly half of those polled - they
discovered results that differed widely from the official tally. Once
again - against all odds - the widespread discrepancies were stacked
massively in Bush's favor: In only two of the suspect twenty-two precincts
did the disparity benefit Kerry. The wildest discrepancy came from the
precinct Mitofsky numbered "27," in order to protect the anonymity of
those surveyed. According to the exit poll, Kerry should have received
sixty-seven percent of the vote in this precinct. Yet the certified tally
gave him only thirty-eight percent. The statistical odds against such a
variance are just shy of one in 3 billion. [40]

Such results, according to the archive, provide "virtually irrefutable
evidence of vote miscount." The discrepancies, the experts add, "are
consistent with the hypothesis that Kerry would have won Ohio's electoral
votes if Ohio's official vote counts had accurately reflected voter
intent." [41] According to Ron Baiman, vice president of the archive and a
public policy analyst at Loyola University in Chicago, "No rigorous
statistical explanation" can explain the "completely nonrandom"
disparities that almost uniformly benefited Bush. The final results, he
adds, are "completely consistent with election fraud - specifically vote
shifting."

                    =2. The Partisan Official

No state was more important in the 2004 election than Ohio. The state has
been key to every Republican presidential victory since Abraham Lincoln's,
and both parties overwhelmed the state with television ads, field
organizers and volunteers in an effort to register new voters and energize
old ones. Bush and Kerry traveled to Ohio a total of forty-nine times
during the campaign - more than to any other state. [42]

But in the battle for Ohio, Republicans had a distinct advantage: The man
in charge of the counting was Kenneth Blackwell, the co-chair of President
Bush's re-election committee. [43] As Ohio's secretary of state, Blackwell
had broad powers to interpret and implement state and federal election
laws - setting standards for everything from the processing of voter
registration to the conduct of official recounts. [44] And as Bush's
re-election chair in Ohio, he had a powerful motivation to rig the rules
for his candidate. Blackwell, in fact, served as the "principal electoral
system adviser" for Bush during the 2000 recount in Florida, [45] where he
witnessed firsthand the success of his counterpart Katherine Harris, the
Florida secretary of state who co-chaired Bush's campaign there. [46]

Blackwell - now the Republican candidate for governor of Ohio [47] - is
well-known in the state as a fierce partisan eager to rise in the GOP. An
outspoken leader of Ohio's right-wing fundamentalists, he opposes abortion
even in cases of rape [48] and was the chief cheerleader for the
anti-gay-marriage amendment that Republicans employed to spark turnout in
rural counties. [49] He has openly denounced Kerry as "an unapologetic
liberal Democrat," [50] and during the 2004 election he used his official
powers to disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of Ohio citizens in
Democratic strongholds. In a ruling issued two weeks before the election,
a federal judge rebuked Blackwell for seeking to "accomplish the same
result in Ohio in 2004 that occurred in Florida in 2000." [51]

"The secretary of state is supposed to administer elections - not throw
them," says Rep. Dennis Kucinich, a Democrat from Cleveland who has dealt
with Blackwell for years. "The election in Ohio in 2004 stands out as an
example of how, under color of law, a state election official can
frustrate the exercise of the right to vote."

The most extensive investigation of what happened in Ohio was conducted by
Rep. John Conyers, the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee.
[52] Frustrated by his party's failure to follow up on the widespread
evidence of voter intimidation and fraud, Conyers and the committee's
minority staff held public hearings in Ohio, where they looked into more
than 50,000 complaints from voters. [53] In January 2005, Conyers issued a
detailed report that outlined "massive and unprecedented voter
irregularities and anomalies in Ohio." The problems, the report concludes,
were "caused by intentional misconduct and illegal behavior, much of it
involving Secretary of State J. Kenneth Blackwell." [54]

"Blackwell made Katherine Harris look like a cupcake," Conyers told me.
"He saw his role as limiting the participation of Democratic voters. We
had hearings in Columbus for two days. We could have stayed two weeks, the
level of fury was so high. Thousands of people wanted to testify. Nothing
like this had ever happened to them before."

When ROLLING STONE confronted Blackwell about his overtly partisan
attempts to subvert the election, he dismissed any such claim as "silly on
its face." Ohio, he insisted in a telephone interview, set a "gold
standard" for electoral fairness. In fact, his campaign to subvert the
will of the voters had begun long before Election Day. Instead of
welcoming the avalanche of citizen involvement sparked by the campaign,
Blackwell permitted election officials in Cleveland, Cincinnati and Toledo
to conduct a massive purge of their voter rolls, summarily expunging the
names of more than 300,000 voters who had failed to cast ballots in the
previous two national elections. [55] In Cleveland, which went five-to-one
for Kerry, nearly one in four voters were wiped from the rolls between
2000 and 2004. [56]

There were legitimate reasons to clean up voting lists: Many of the names
undoubtedly belonged to people who had moved or died. But thousands more
were duly registered voters who were deprived of their constitutional
right to vote - often without any notification - simply because they had
decided not to go to the polls in prior elections. [57] In Cleveland's
precinct 6C, where more than half the voters on the rolls were deleted,
[58] turnout was only 7.1 percent [59] - the lowest in the state.

According to the Conyers report, improper purging "likely disenfranchised
tens of thousands of voters statewide." [60] If only one in ten of the
300,000 purged voters showed up on Election Day - a conservative estimate,
according to election scholars - that is 30,000 citizens who were unfairly
denied the opportunity to cast ballots.

                       =3. The Strike Force

In the months leading up to the election, Ohio was in the midst of the
biggest registration drive in its history. Tens of thousands of volunteers
and paid political operatives from both parties canvassed the state,
racing to register new voters in advance of the October 4th deadline. To
those on the ground, it was clear that Democrats were outpacing their
Republican counterparts: A New York Times analysis before the election
found that new registrations in traditional Democratic strongholds were up
250 percent, compared to only twenty-five percent in Republican-leaning
counties. [61] "The Democrats have been beating the pants off us in the
air and on the ground," a GOP county official in Columbus confessed to The
Washington Times. [62]

To stem the tide of new registrations, the Republican National Committee
and the Ohio Republican Party attempted to knock tens of thousands of
predominantly minority and urban voters off the rolls through illegal
mailings known in electioneering jargon as "caging." During the Eighties,
after the GOP used such mailings to disenfranchise nearly 76,000 black
voters in New Jersey and Louisiana, it was forced to sign two separate
court orders agreeing to abstain from caging. [63] But during the summer
of 2004, the GOP targeted minority voters in Ohio by zip code, sending
registered letters to more than 200,000 newly registered voters [64] in
sixty-five counties. [65] On October 22nd, a mere eleven days before the
election, Ohio Republican Party Chairman Bob Bennett - who also chairs the
board of elections in Cuyahoga County - sought to invalidate the
registrations of 35,427 voters who had refused to sign for the letters or
whose mail came back as undeliverable. [66] Almost half of the challenged
voters were from Democratic strongholds in and around Cleveland. [67]

There were plenty of valid reasons that voters had failed to respond to
the mailings: The list included people who couldn't sign for the letters
because they were serving in the U.S. military, college students whose
school and home addresses differed, [68] and more than 1,000 homeless
people who had no permanent mailing address. [69] But the undeliverable
mail, Bennett claimed, proved the new registrations were fraudulent.

By law, each voter was supposed to receive a hearing before being stricken
from the rolls. [70] Instead, in the week before the election, kangaroo
courts were rapidly set up across the state at Blackwell's direction that
would inevitably disenfranchise thousands of voters at a time [71] - a
process that one Democratic election official in Toledo likened to an
"inquisition." [72] Not that anyone was given a chance to actually show up
and defend their right to vote: Notices to challenged voters were not only
sent out impossibly late in the process, they were mailed to the very
addresses that the Republicans contended were faulty. [73] Adding to the
atmosphere of intimidation, sheriff's detectives in Sandusky County were
dispatched to the homes of challenged voters to investigate the GOP's
claims of fraud. [74]

"I'm afraid this is going to scare these people half to death, and they
are never going to show up on Election Day," Barb Tuckerman, director of
the Sandusky Board of Elections, told local reporters. "Many of them are
young people who have registered for the first time. I've called some of
these people, and they are perfectly legitimate." [75]

On October 27th, ruling that the effort likely violated both the
"constitutional right to due process and constitutional right to vote,"
U.S. District Judge Susan Dlott put a halt to the GOP challenge [76] - but
not before tens of thousands of new voters received notices claiming they
were improperly registered. Some election officials in the state illegally
ignored Dlott's ruling, stripping hundreds of voters from the rolls. [77]
In Columbus and elsewhere, challenged registrants were never notified that
the court had cleared them to vote.

On October 29th, a federal judge found that the Republican Party had
violated the court orders from the Eighties that barred it from caging.
"The return of mail does not implicate fraud," the court affirmed, [78]
and the disenfranchisement effort illegally targeted "precincts where
minority voters predominate, interfering with and discouraging voters from
voting in those districts." [79] Nor were such caging efforts limited to
Ohio: The GOP also targeted hundreds of thousands of urban voters in the
battleground states of Florida, [80] Pennsylvania [81] and Wisconsin. [82]

Republicans in Ohio also worked to deny the vote to citizens who had
served jail time for felonies. Although rehabilitated prisoners are
entitled to vote in Ohio, election officials in Cincinnati demanded that
former convicts get a judge to sign off before they could register to
vote. [83] In case they didn't get the message, Republican operatives
turned to intimidation. According to the Conyers report, a team of
twenty-five GOP volunteers calling themselves the Mighty Texas Strike
Force holed up at the Holiday Inn in Columbus a day before the election,
around the corner from the headquarters of the Ohio Republican Party -
which paid for their hotel rooms. The men were overheard by a hotel worker
"using pay phones to make intimidating calls to likely voters" and
threatening former convicts with jail time if they tried to cast ballots.
[84]

This was no freelance operation. The Strike Force - an offshoot of the
Republican National Committee [85] - was part of a team of more than 1,500
volunteers from Texas who were deployed to battleground states, usually in
teams of ten. Their leader was Pat Oxford, [86] a Houston lawyer who
managed Bush's legal defense team in 2000 in Florida, [87] where he warmly
praised the efforts of a mob that stormed the Miami-Dade County election
offices and halted the recount. It was later revealed that those involved
in the "Brooks Brothers Riot" were not angry Floridians but paid GOP
staffers, many of them flown in from out of state. [88] Photos of the
protest show that one of the "rioters" was Joel Kaplan, who has just taken
the place of Karl Rove at the White House, where he now directs the
president's policy operations. [89]   [end part 1]

==f

[1] Manual Roig-Franzia and Dan Keating, "Latest Conspiracy Theory - Kerry
Won - Hits the Ether," The Washington Post, November 11, 2004.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41106-2004Nov10.html

[2] The New York Times Editorial Desk, "About Those Election Results," The
New York Times, November 14, 2004.
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html

[3] United States Department of Defense, "Defense Department Special
Briefing on Federal Voting Assistance Program," August 6, 2004.
http://www.defenselink.mil/transcripts/2004/tr20040806-1502.html

[4] Overseas Vote Foundation, "2004 Post Election Survey Results," June
2005, page 11.
http://www.overseasvotefoundation.org/downloads/surveys/ovf_survey_01jun2005_v1.0_usletter.pdf

[5] Jennifer Joan Lee, "Pentagon Blocks Site for Voters Outside U.S.,"
International Herald Tribune, September 20, 2004.

[6] Meg Landers, "Librarian Bares Possible Voter Registration Dodge," Mail
Tribune (Jackson County, OR), September 21, 2004.
http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2004/0921/local/stories/02local.htm

[7] Mark Brunswick and Pat Doyle, "Voter Registration; 3 former workers:
Firm paid pro-Bush bonuses; One said he was told his job was to bring back
cards for GOP voters," Star Tribune (Minneapolis, MN), October 27, 2004.

[8] Federal Election Commission, Federal Elections 2004: Election Results
for the U.S. President. http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2004/2004pres.pdf

[9] Ellen Theisen and Warren Stewart, Summary Report on New Mexico State
Election Data, January 4, 2005, pg. 2.
http://www.democracyfornewmexico.com/democracy_for_new_mexico/files/NewMexico2004ElectionDataReport-v2.pdf

James W. Bronsan, "In 2004, New Mexico Worst at Counting Votes," Scripps
Howard News Service, December 22, 2004.

[10] "A Summary of the 2004 Election Day Survey; How We Voted: People,
Ballots & Polling Places; A Report to the American People by the United
States Election Assistance Commission," September 2005, pg. 10.
http://www.eac.gov/election_survey_2004/pdf/EDS%20exec.%20summary.pdf

[11] Facts mentioned in this paragraph are subsequently cited throughout
the story.

[12] See "Ohio's Missing Votes."

[13] Federal Election Commission, Federal Elections 2004: Election Results
for the U.S. President. http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2004/2004pres.pdf

[14] Democratic National Committee, Voting Rights Institute, "Democracy at
Risk: The 2004 Election in Ohio," June 22, 2005. Page 5
http://a9.g.akamai.net/7/9/8082/v001/www.democrats.org/pdfs/ohvrireport/fullreport.pdf

[15] See "VIII. Rural Counties."

[16] Evaluation of Edison/Mitofsky Election System 2004 prepared by Edison
Media Research and Mitofksy International for the National Election Pool
(NEP), January 19, 2005, Page 3
http://www.exit-poll.net/election-night/EvaluationJan192005.pdf

[17] This refers to data for German national elections in 1994, 1998 and
2002, previously cited by Steven F. Freeman.

[18] Dick Morris, "Those Faulty Exit Polls Were Sabotage," The Hill,
November 4, 2004. http://www.hillnews.com/morris/110404.aspx

[19] Martin Plissner, "Exit Polls to Protect the Vote," The New York
Times, October 17, 2004.

[20] Matt Kelley, "U.S. Money has Helped Opposition in Ukraine,"
Associated Press, December 11, 2004.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20041211/news_1n11usaid.html

Daniel Williams, "Court Rejects Ukraine Vote; Justices Cite Massive Fraud
in Runoff, Set New Election," The Washington Post, December 4, 2004.

[21] Steve Freeman and Joel Bleifuss, "Was the 2004 Presidential Election
Stolen? Exit Polls, Election Fraud, and the Official Count," Seven Stories
Press, July 2006, Page 102.

[22] Evaluation of Edison/Mitofsky Election System 2004; prepared by
Edison Media Research and Mitofsky International for the National Election
Pool (NEP), January 19, 2005, Page 3.
http://www.exit-poll.net/election-night/EvaluationJan192005.pdf

[23] Mitofsky International Web site.
http://www.mitofskyinternational.com/company.htm

[24] Tim Golden, "Election Near, Mexicans Question the Questioners," The
New York Times, August 10, 1994.

[25] Evaluation of Edison/Mitofsky Election System 2004; prepared by
Edison Media Research and Mitofsky International for the National Election
Pool (NEP), January 19, 2005, Page 59.

[26] Jonathan D. Simon, J.D., and Ron P. Baiman, Ph.D., "The 2004
Presidential Election: Who Won the Popular Vote? An Examination of the
Comparative Validity of Exit Poll and Vote Count Data." FreePress.org,
December 29, 2004, P. 9
http://freepress.org/images/departments/PopularVotePaper181_1.pdf

[27] Analysis by Steven F. Freeman.

[28] Freeman and Bleifuss, pg. 134

[29] Jim Rutenberg, "Report Says Problems Led to Skewing Survey Data," The
New York Times, November 5, 2004.

[30] Freeman and Bleifuss, pg. 134

[31] Analysis of the 2004 Presidential Election Exit Poll Discrepancies.
U.S. Count Votes. Baiman R, et al. March 31, 2005. Page 3.
http://www.electionarchive.org/ucvAnalysis/US/Exit_Polls_2004_Edison-Mitofsky.pdf

[32] Notes From Campaign Trail, Fox News Network, Live Event, 8:00 p.m.
EST, November 2, 2004.

[33] Freeman and Bleifuss, pg. 101-102

[34] Evaluation of Edison/Mitofsky Election System 2004; prepared by
Edison Media Research and Mitofsky International for the National Election
Pool (NEP), January 19, 2005, Page 4.

[35] Freeman and Bleifuss, pg. 120.

[36] Interview with John Zogby

[37] Evaluation of Edison/Mitofsky Election System 2004; prepared by
Edison Media Research and Mitofsky International for the National Election
Pool (NEP), January 19, 2005, Page 4.

[38] Freeman and Bleifuss, pg. 128.

[39] Freeman and Bleifuss, pg. 130.

[40] "The Gun is Smoking: 2004 Ohio Precinct-level Exit Poll Data Show
Virtually Irrefutable Evidence of Vote Miscount," U.S. Count Votes,
National Election Data Archive, January 23, 2006.
http://uscountvotes.org/ucvAnalysis/OH/Ohio-Exit-Polls-2004.pdf

[41] "The Gun is Smoking," pg. 16.

[42] The Washington Post, "Charting the Campaign: Top Five Most Visited
States," November 2, 2004.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/elections/2004/charting.html

[43] John McCarthy, "Nearly a Month Later, Ohio Fight Goes On," Associated
Press Online, November 30, 2004.

[44] Ohio Revised Code, 3501.04, Chief Election Officer
http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=PORC

[45] Joe Hallett, "Blackwell Joins GOP's Spin Team," The Columbus
Dispatch, November 30, 2004.

[46] Gary Fineout, "Records Indicate Harris on Defense," Ledger
(Lakeland,
Florida), November 18, 2000.

[47] http://www.kenblackwell.com/

[48] Joe Hallett, "Governor; Aggressive First Round Culminates Tuesday,"
Columbus Dispatch, April 30, 2006.
http://www.dispatch.com/extra/extra.php?story=dispatch/2006/04/30/20060430-B1-02.html

[49] Sandy Theis, "Blackwell Accused of Breaking Law by Pushing Same-Sex
Marriage Ban," Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH), October 29, 2004.

[50] Raw Story, "Republican Ohio Secretary of State Boasts About
Delivering Ohio to Bush."
http://rawstory.rawprint.com/105/blackwell_campaign_letter2_105.php

[51] In the United States District Court For the Northern District of Ohio
Northern Division, The Sandusky County Democratic Party et al. v. J.
Kenneth Blackwell, Case No. 3:04CV7582, Page 8.
http://electionlawblog.org/archives/10-20%20Order.pdf

[52] Preserving Democracy: What Went Wrong in Ohio, Status Report of the
House Judiciary Committee Democratic Staff (Rep. John Conyers, Jr.),
January 5, 2005.
http://www.house.gov/judiciary_democrats/ohiostatusrept1505.pdf

[53] Preserving Democracy, pg. 8.

[54] Preserving Democracy, pg. 4.

[55] The board of elections in Cuyahoga, Franklin and Hamilton counties.

[56] Analysis by Richard Hayes Phillips, a voting rights advocate.

[57] Fritz Wenzel, "Purging of Rolls, Confusion Anger Voters; 41% of Nov.
2 Provisional Ballots Axed in Lucas County," Toledo Blade, January 9,
2005.
http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050109/NEWS09/501090334&SearchID=73195662517954

[58] Analysis by Hayes Phillips.

[59] Cuyahoga County Board of Elections

[60] Preserving Democracy, pg. 6.

[61] Ford Fessenden, "A Big Increase of New Voters in Swing States," The
New York Times, September 26, 2004.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/26/politics/campaign/26vote.html

[62] Ralph Z. Hallow, "Republicans Go 'Under the Radar' in Rural Ohio,"
The Washington Times, October 28, 2004.
http://washtimes.com/national/20041027-115211-1609r.htm

[63] Jo Becker, "GOP Challenging Voter Registrations," The Washington
Post, October 29, 2004.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7422-2004Oct28.html

[64] Janet Babin, "Voter Registrations Challenged in Ohio," NPR, All
Things Considered, October 28, 2004.

[65] In the United States District Court for the Southern District of
Ohio, Western Division, Amy Miller et al. v. J. Kenneth Blackwell, Case
no. C-1-04-735, Page 2.
http://fl1.findlaw.com/news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/election2004/mlrblackwell102704ord.pdf

[66] Sandy Theis, "Fraud-Busters Busted; GOP's Blanket Challenge Backfires
in a Big Way," Plain Dealer, October 31, 2004.

[67] Daniel Tokaji, "Early Returns on Election Reform," George Washington
Law Review, Vol. 74, 2005, page 1235

[68] Sandy Theis, "Fraud-Busters Busted; GOP's Blanket Challenge Backfires
in a Big Way," Plain Dealer, October 31, 2004.

[69] Andrew Welsh-Huggins, "Out of Country, Off Beaten Path; Reason for
Voting Challenges Vary," Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH), October 27, 2004.

[70] Ohio Revised Code; 3505.19

[71] Directive No. 2004-44 from J. Kenneth Blackwell, Ohio Sec'y of State,
to All County Boards of Elections Members, Directors, and Deputy Directors
1 (Oct. 26, 2004).

[72] Fritz Wenzel, "Challenges Filed Against 931 Lucas County Voters,"
Toledo Blade, October 27, 2004.
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041027/NEWS09/410270361/-1/NEWS

[73] In the United States District Court for the Southern District of
Ohio, Western Division, Amy Miller et al. v. J. Kenneth Blackwell, Case
no. C-1-04-735, Page 4.
http://news.corporatecounselcentre.ca/hdocs/docs/election2004/mlrblackwell102704ord.pdf

[74] LaRaye Brown, "Elections Board Plans Hearing For Challenges," The
News Messenger, October 26, 2004.

[75] LaRaye Brown, "Elections Board Plans Hearing For Challenges," The
News Messenger, October 26, 2004.

[76] Miller v. Blackwell, (S.D. Ohio), (6th Cir. 2004)
http://news.corporatecounselcentre.ca/hdocs/docs/election2004/mlrblackwell102704ord.pdf

[77] James Drew and Steve Eder, "Court Rejects GOP Voter Challenge; Some
Counties Hold Hearings Anyhow; 200 Voters Turned Away," Toledo Blade,
October 30, 2004.
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041030/NEWS09/410300450/-1/NEWS

[78] United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Republican
National Committee v. Democratic National Committee, No. 04-4186
http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/electionlaw/litigation/documents/petitionforrehearingenbanc.pdf

[79] United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Republican
National Committee v. Democratic National Committee, No. 04-4186
http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/electionlaw/litigation/documents/petitionforrehearingenbanc.pdf

[80] Kate Zernike and William Yardley, "Charges of Dirty Tricks, Fraud and
Voter Suppression Already Flying in Several States," The New York Times,
November 1, 2004. Greg Palast, "New Florida Vote Scandal Feared," BBC
News, October 26, 2004.

[81] Kate Zernike and William Yardley, "Charges of Dirty Tricks, Fraud and
Voter Suppression Already Flying in Several States," The New York Times,
November 1, 2004.

[82] Greg J. Borowski, "GOP Demands IDs of 37,000 in City," Milwaukee
Journal Sentinel, October 30, 2004.
http://www2.jsonline.com:80/news/metro/oct04/271173.asp

[83] "The Disenfranchisement of the Re-Enfranchised; How Confusion Over
Felon Voter Eligibility in Ohio Keeps Qualified Ex-Offender Voters From
the Polls," Prison Reform Advocacy Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, August 2004.
http://www.prisonsucks.com/scans/Ohio%20Felon%20Voting%20Rights%20Paper.pdf

[84] Preserving Democracy, 64. Note: Additional reporting contributed to
this paragraph.

[85] Gardner Selby, "Hundreds of Texans Ride Bandwagons Around U.S.;
Volunteers Say Election is Too Important Not to Hit the Campaign Trail,"
San Antonio Express-News (Texas), October 15, 2004.

[86] "Down to the Wire," Newsweek, November 15, 2004.

[87] Lynda Gorov and Anne E. Kornblut, "Gore to Challenge Results; No
Plans to Concede; top Fla. Court refuses to order resumption of Miami-Dade
County," The Boston Globe, November 24, 2000.
http://graphics.boston.com/news/politics/campaign2000/news/Gore_to_challenge_results+.shtml

[88] Al Kamen, "Miami 'Riot' Squad: Where are they Now?" Washington Post,
January 24, 2005.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31074-2005Jan23.html

[89] Al Kamen, "Walking the Talk," Washington Post, April 21, 2006.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/20/AR2006042002067.html

 There was a fake president Bush
 Who stuffed stolen votes up his tush
 They tried to blow out