Progressive Calendar 05.31.06
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 03:05:03 -0700 (PDT)

1. Eagan peace vigil   6.01 4:30pm
2. Small is beautiful  6.01 5pm
3. Northtown vigil     6.01 5pm
4. Minnesota Cuba      6.01 6:30pm
5. Middle-East books   6.01 7pm
6. Troops/peace        6.01 7pm Stillwater MN
7. Pentel/GP/governor? 6.01 7pm
8. Eisenstein/film     6.01 8pm

9. Arise fleas!        6.02-03
10. ffunch lunch       6.02 11:30am
11. Schultz/AM950      6.02 5pm
12. Jesse/64A/party    6.02 6pm
13. West bank story    6.02 time?
14. Islamic dance      6.02-04 8pm

15. Michael Albert   - Conspiracy theory/institutional theory
16. Charles Sullivan - Fruit of the poison tree
17. Joe Kay          - The Enron verdicts: corruption & US capitalism
18. Kate Randall     - Most Democrats back General Hayden
19. Rich Broderick   - Keeping faith

--------1 of 19--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <skograce [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 6.01 4:30pm

From: Jesse Mortenson <jmortenson [at] Macalester.edu>
Subject: Small is beautiful 6.01 5pm

First and third Tuesdays of the month
6.01 5pm
Cahoots coffeehouse
Selby 1/2 block east of Snelling in StPaul

Limit bigboxes, chain stores, TIF, corporate welfare, billboards; promote
small business and co-ops, local production & self-sufficiency.

http://www.gpsp.org/goodbusiness

--------3 of 19--------

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 6.01 5pm

NORTHTOWN Peace Vigil every Thursday to 5 to 6 pm, at the intersection of
Co. Hwy 10 and University Ave NE (SE corner across from Denny's), in
Blaine.

New Brighton, Roseville, Shoreview, Arden Hills, Spring Lake Park, Fridley,
and Coon Rapids.  We'll have extra signs.

From: Minnesota Cuba Committee <mncuba [at] usfamily.net>
Subject: Minnesota Cuba 6.01 6:30pm

The next meeting of the Minnesota Cuba Committee will be at 6:30, Thursday
June 1, Holy Trinity Church, 2730 31st St. East, Minneapolis. Upcoming
events are a program on Venezuela in early June (details to come) and the
June 22 Pastors for Peace caravan at St. Albert the Great church.

For more information call 612 623-3452 or 651 983-3981
http://groups.msn.com/minnesotacubacommittee

--------5 of 19--------

From: david unowsky <david.unowsky [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Middle-East books 6.01 7pm

Cathy Sultan and Kim Jensen - Middle East peace and human rights activists
- discuss their books at Magers and Quinn 7pm Thursday June 1.
(3038 Hennepin Av S Minneapolis 612-822-4611 www.magersandquinn.com)

Cathy Sultan and Kim Jensen have much in common. Both have lived in the
Middle East; both are married to men of Middle Eastern background; both
work for peace and on behalf of human rights; and both have written frank,
tough, books with no false illusions about Palestinians, Israelis, and
Americans. Both, however, leave us with hope that common ground can be
found.

Kim Jensen's novel The Woman I Left Behind (Curbstone Press) tells the
story of a love between a Palestinian student and a young American woman.
This remarkable debut novel explores the difficulties of an intercultural
relationship, and it gives us a rare glimpse into Palestinian history and
culture. Set in Southern California during the first Gulf War with
flashback scenes in Jerusalem and Beirut, The Woman I Left Behind reveals
the cultural dilemmas that inevitably occur when lovers from different
worlds come together. Kim Jensen lives in Maryland and is an Assistant
Professor of English at the Community College of Baltimore County.

Cathy Sultan lived in Beirut with her Lebanese doctor husband and their
children from 1969 to 1983. She chronicled that period of her life in her
earlier book A Beirut Heart: One Woman's War (Scarletta Press). The
experience left her with a mind-broadening education about the realities
of Middle East politics and led her to become the peace activist that she
is today. She sits on the executive board of the National Peace Foundation
where she directs Middle East educational projects. Her new book Israeli
and Palestinian Voices: a Dialogue with Both Sides (Scarletta Press) is
part travel writing, part adventure, and part history all bound together
with a remarkable collection of interviews conducted first-hand in a
variety of not very safe places.

For Further Info: David Unowsky 612-822-461 Davidu [at] magersandquinn.com
Magers and Quinn Booksellers 3038 Hennepin Avenue South Minneapolis MN
55408 612-822-4611 www.magersandquinn.com

Curbstone Press: Jantje Tielken 860-423-5110 jantje [at] curbstone.org
Cathy Sultan: 715-839-9298 cgsultan [at] charter.net
Scarletta Press: www.scarlettapress.com Ian Graham Leask leaskian [at] aol.com

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Troops/peace 6.01 7pm Stillwater MN

Thursday, 6/1, 7pm, St Croix Valley Peacemakers invites panel of 3 vets to
discuss "How We Can Support Our Troops and Still Work for Peace,"
Ascension Episcopal Church, 214 N 3rd St, Stillwater.  FFI: Wayne at