Progressive Calendar 04.16.06
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 04:27:06 -0700 (PDT)

1. Corp media      4.16 3pm
2. KFAI's Indian   4.16 4pm
3. Venezuela       4.16 6:30pm
4. Arab TV         4.16 10:30pm

5. Batterers up    4.17 9am
6. Welfare rights  4.17 12noon
7. 911 meeting     4.17 7pm
8. Luther/Jews     4.17 7pm
9. Gay "Capt Sulu" 4.17 7:30pm

10. Stephen Greenfield - Hillary is a hawk
11. John Pilger        - Continuing quiet death of democracy

--------1 of 11--------

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: Corp media 4.16 3pm

IMPACT (Ideas to Mobilize People Against Corporate Tyranny) presents the
documentary film: "Orwell Rolls in His Grave"

Sunday, April 16, 3-5pm
Acadia Cafe
1931 Nicollet Ave (Intersection of Franklin & Nicollet Aves)
Mpls

Is today's corporate media any different than the media of George Orwell's
"1984"?  Robert McChesney, Bernie Sanders, Jeff Chester, Michael Moore,
Greg Palast, Danny Schechter...

Events are always FREE.  We encourage participants to come early and
purchase refreshments from the cafe hosting us.  Free parking is available
in the lot across Nicollet Ave.

FFI: Karen Redleaf at 651-644-1487, vegan14ever [at] yahoo.com or
www.wmom.typepad.com/impact/

--------2 of 11--------

From: Chris Spotted Eagle <chris [at] spottedeagle.org>
Subject: KFAI's Indian 4.16 4pm

ANOTHER CAUTION ON GLOBAL WARMING by Mike Toner, Cox News Service, March
23, 2006.  Accelerated melting of polar ice sheets could eventually raise
sea level as much as 20 feet -- enough to swamp coastal lowlands
throughout the world, researchers reported Thursday.
http://www.startribune.com/722/story/317426.html

H2O OUGHT TO BE A PUBLIC GOOD, NOT A COMMODITY by Kathryn Mulvey Mpls Star
Tribune Commentary Mar. 20, 2006.  In a thirsty world, there's a high
price to pay for bottled water -- and the product is not all that it's
marketed to be.  March 22 marks World Water Day. This year's theme,
designated by the United Nations, is "Water and Culture." The hope is that
the world's people will reflect on the cultural and sacred qualities of
water -- from a baby's baptism to a ritual bath in the Ganges River -- as
a reminder of its value in our lives.  See attached.

IN THE FACE OF WORLD'S CRISIS, SIMPLE SOLUTIONS GET ATTENTION by Mark
Stevenson, Associated Press, March 19, 2006.  MEXICO CITY - The numbers
behind the world's water crisis are daunting.  About 1.1 billion people
lack clean drinking water, causing diseases that kill 3.1 million people a
year. And 1.7 million deaths could be prevented with better sanitation.
Some of those attending the 4th World Water Forum in Mexico City focused
instead on smaller numbers, such as the average distance women in
developing countries walk each day to fetch water: nearly 4 miles.
http://www.startribune.com/722/story/317426.html

DECLARATION OF THE INDIGENOUS PEOPLES PARALLEL FORUM OF THE 4TH WORLD
WATER FORM.  Indigenous brothers and sisters gathered at the 4th World
Water Forum held in Mexico City. A grassroots parallel forum was held on
March 17 -18th since many Indigenous peoples from Mexico were not able to
pay the high registration fees charged by the World Water Forum. An
Indigenous Peoples Parallel Forum was attended by over 100 Indigenous
peoples from Mexico, U.S., Canada, and South America. Indigenous
participants consistently spoke to the concerns of local authorities and
the government in their countries not recognizing the rights of Indigenous
communities to water. www.ienearth.org.  See attached.

* * * *
Indian Uprising is a one-half hour Public & Cultural Affairs radio program
for, by, and about Indigenous people & all their relations, broadcast each
Sunday at 4:00 p.m. over KFAI 90.3 FM Minneapolis and 106.7 FM St. Paul.
Current programs are archived online after broadcast at www.kfai.org, for
two weeks.  Click Program Archives and scroll to Indian Uprising.

--------3 of 11--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Venezuela 4.16 6:30pm

Sun April 16: Film and Discussion - Venezuela Bolivariana
6:30pm at the Twin Cities Friends Meeting, 1725 Grand Ave. in St. Paul

*No to US Intervention!
Respect Venezuela's Sovereignty and Democracy!*

Venezuela is under the gun. The Bush Administration and its allies simply
cannot tolerate a country that uses windfall profits from high oil prices
to invest in social programs such as health care, education, housing, and
nutrition. The cannot tolerate that a poor country can afford to give
reduced heating oil to the poorest citizens in the US while US
corporations gouge us at the pump and pocket billions in profits. They
cannot tolerate that Venezuela's participatory democracy, in which
millions of people feel for the first time that they actually have a say
in their government's policies and priorities, is the polar opposite of
the "democracy" Bush and the Pentagon are exporting to countries like
Iraq.

Based on past US actions and recent pronouncements against Venezuela, we
can be sure that at this very moment, behind the closed doors of the State
Department, the CIA, the Pentagon, in the chambers of Congress, and in
corporate board rooms in both the US and Venezuela, there are plans to
bring down President Chávez and Venezuelan democracy.

That's why it is urgent that we take action - loud action - from the
smallest of towns to the largest of cities, to expose, counter, and resist
these efforts to topple Venezuelan democracy. The best way we can do that
is to build a massive international grass roots movement in solidarity
with Venezuela.

On the weekend of March 4-6, dozens of organizations and hundreds of
individuals came together in Washington, DC to form a Venezuela Solidarity
Network (VSN). Following on the success of the December 2, 2005
international day of action to mark the anniversary of the Monroe
Doctrine, a Calendar of Venezuela Grassroots Solidarity Actions was
adopted by the conference delegates as part of building broad grassroots
opposition to US intervention in Venezuela. There are four main dates
proposed for coordinated international action, with several other dates of
interest included for those who wish to organize additional activities.
The first action is:

--------4 of 11--------

From: Ahmed <ata200221 [at] msn.com>
Subject: Arab TV 4.16 10:30pm

Professor Ahmed Samatar, Dean of International studies at Macalester
College, will address the Dubai Port Deal and the business of
Globalization Ala Carte - what went wrong and the impact on the
international relation in the Middle East? Why is everyone now scared
of the Arabs?

Ahmed Tharwat/Host
BelAhdan with Ahmed
Arab Americans TV show