Salon-(Author, William Souder)
From: Patty Guerrero (pattypaxearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 08:11:47 -0800 (PST)
HI,    This Tuesday,  Jan. 29, we will be honored to have as our guest, William
Souder, author of the book,  On a Farther Shore: The LIfe and Legacy of Rachel
Carson.   Rachel Carson was a visionary who wrote the book, Silent Spring,
which warned us all about the dangers of pesticides and chemicals and what they
can do to our world.

> From Souder's book:  "Carson said that before the attack on Hiroshima, she
> had doubted that nature could ever need protection from man.
The world changed---slowly, of course- -but certain of its features seemed
immutable: the advance and retreat of the great oceans over eons, the daily
ebbing and flooding of the tides, the uncountable mass migrations of the birds
and fish.  These things and many more seemed beyond the reach of human
influence.  Until, they weren't.  The earth, Carson said, was nothing if not a
water world that was now growing parched."

"THOSE WHO CONTEMPLATE THE BEAUTH OF THE EARTH FIND RESERVES OF STRENGTH THAT
WILL ENDURE AS LONG AS LIFE LASTS"
   RACHEL CARSON