Conversational Salon (The Transition Handbook)
From: patty (pattypaxearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 10:09:20 -0700 (PDT)
HI, Tuesday, March 29, is the Little Book of the Odd Month Club salon. We will be discussing The Transition Handbook by Rob Hopkins. It is about transitioning from oil dependency (and climate change coincides with this)
to local resilience.

The Transition Handbook is more than just a book of problems and ideas, it is about solutions, which may turn out to be the foundation for one of the most important social, political and cultural movements of the 21st Century.

To quote from the book:

Our culture is underpinned by various stories, cultural myths that we all take for granted: that the future will be wealthier than the present, that economic growth can continue indefinitely, that we have become such an individualistic society that any common goals are unthinkable, that possessions can make you happy, and that economic globalization is an inevitable process to which we have all given our consent. As we shall see, these are all stories that are profoundly misleading and indeed positively harmful for the challenges we find ourselves facing faster than we think. We need new stories that paint new possibilities, that reposition where we see ourselves in relation to the world around us, that entice us to view the changes ahead with anticipation of the possibilities they hold, and that will ultimately give us the strength to emerge at the other end into a new, but more nourishing world. This is not a book about how dreadful the future could be; it is an invitation to join the hundreds of communities around the world who are taking the steps towards making a nourishing and abundant future a reality. Rob Hopkins.