July 8: Fighting back against landlords and bosses with the Seattle Solidarity Network
From: luce guillen-givins (luceriseup.net)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 08:52:39 -0700 (PDT)
Seattle Solidarity Network - a Presentation for the Twin Cities - 7/8

Ever been ripped off or abused by a boss or landlord and wanted to do
something about it?

Come to this presentation to learn a bit about the work of the Seattle
Solidarity Network ("SeaSol"). It will be given by David Cahn, a member
of the Seattle Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) and an organizer
with SeaSol.

/This event is family friendly; kids are welcome and childcare will be
available for those who want it./

*WHEN: Sunday, July 8, 2012 - 1:30pm

*WHERE: Powderhorn Park Building, 3400 15th Ave S, Mpls

*Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/305786702847621/
---

SeaSol is a volunteer network of working people who believe in standing
up for our rights. Our goal is to support our fellow workers' strikes
and struggles, build solidarity, and organize to deal with specific job,
housing, and other problems caused by the greed of the rich and powerful.

A few examples of what SeaSol does.

* Bert got his rental deposit stolen. He and a group of Solidarity
Network supporters visited the property manager at her home one morning,
and within a few days she paid up.

* Jorge was owed $892 of wages, and the boss adamantly refused to pay.
Jorge and a group of other workers visited the boss’s house, then
leafleted the boss's church twice on Sunday mornings. After that, the
boss agreed to pay Jorge every cent.

* Stephanie, Yvette and other long-term motel residents demanded
relocation assistance when they were ordered out of their homes at short
notice. Organized with the Solidarity Network, motel tenants and
supporters defied eviction threats, visited the landlords’ neighborhood
and launched an online and on-the-streets boycott campaign. Within a
month the landlords met all our demands, paying 3-months’ rent per
household to all residents who got involved.

MORE INFO AT HTTP://WWW.SEASOL.NET.